X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Good Lord. Sometimes a movie is just a movie and not a film.
    Like I said, if it frightens and angers you...

Just cuz alphas can find higher meanings doesn't mean gammas can't be happy with theirs. Don't feel threatened. There's teevee for you tonight! Maybe some sportsball!
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      It literally has zero to do with Ledger's Joker. It takes place in 1981 Ledger's Joker wouldnt have even been born yet. Nolan's story is done and will never be touched upon again. I doubt Phoenix's Joker even survives the film.
      That's what I get for not following the announcements. I just remembered Leto was p*ssed he wasn't in the origin story. I didnt know that it was *completely* unconnected from the DCU. I assumed it was in the vein of Wonder Woman and Aquaman.

Like I said, Joaquin was outstanding in this trailer. It just, to me, felt like an origin story for Ledger's Joker, and my brain kept trying to link the two. Maybe its sequel fatigue, but I just need to tell myself that it's *another* reboot of the character instead.

I didn't realize this was the final trailer, and there was a teaser trailer earlier. I will say this does look d*mn good but it just doesn't make me want to run out an see it in theaters.
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Good Lord. Sometimes a movie is just a movie and not a film.
        I think you have our perspective 180* off of what most of our perceptions here actually are. Many of us have taken this stance with many "popcorn" films over the years. We all have those that we push for. Just go back and read over the various reviews we all throw out there. Everyone has at least once said "I like _____ cause I can go in, sip some pop, scarf a bag of popcorn, and not think for 2 hours". I've taken that stance recently with movies like Godzilla: KotM and Hobbs & Shaw.

With Joker, pretty much everyone wants a "thinking man's movie". People want to come out of it and have discussions and analysis come about afterwards. Each kind of movie has its place.
        It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          I agree with this approach. And it is a way to pull comic book movies out of the mouthbreathing Comic Book Guy set and join them to larger Americana culture. The Joker is a cool character if done right. Comic book characterization is our Comedia del Arte (if that makes you scared and angry then it's our pro wrestling). Simple emotional themes embodied in characters who are then put into interesting configurations. Stan Lee is our Sophocles.
          Jazz, comic books, and pro wrestling are the three American contributions to art.
          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

There is an article in the LA Times with Phillips about the film and he breaks it down best. This is HIS interpretation of the character (which is why Phoenix did it...this is something not done before and it will almost certainly be his only turn as the character) and the great thing is if you like it it works and if not there will be another version of Joker that comes out in a Batman film sooner or later. There is room in the genre for all types of films whether they are low budget character studies like this and Logan or stuff like Aquaman or Avengers that is rather weak on story but big on action and fun. (some can even be both ) Everything has its value.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
              Jazz, comic books, and pro wrestling are the three American contributions to art.
              Pro wrestling is not American. It came from Europe with German and Slavic immigrants. There are pro wrestling clubs in Eastern Europe that go back 150 years and they follow the same face/heel scripts.

Comic books began in Switzerland but the superhero comic book industry is American.

I claim jazz, hip hop, and graffiti as the three American contributions to art. All stolen from the blacks and monetized by the whites, as one does.

The three cultural contributions of white America are fast food, cars, and the sitcom. We would also have accepted suburbs.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I loved Logan. And the last X-Men film I saw was X2.

I'm warming up to Joker.
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Pro wrestling is not American. It came from Europe with German and Slavic immigrants. There are pro wrestling clubs in Eastern Europe that go back 150 years and they follow the same face/heel scripts.

Comic books began in Switzerland but the superhero comic book industry is American.

I claim jazz, hip hop, and graffiti as the three American contributions to art. All stolen from the blacks and monetized by the whites, as one does.

The three cultural contributions of white America are fast food, cars, and the sitcom. We would also have accepted suburbs.
                  Aren't drawings on cave walls graffiti?

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                    Ancient Rome for sure had graffiti, doubtless Egypt did before them, and yeah have drawings before that.

Comment

Like I said, if it frightens and angers you...

Just cuz alphas can find higher meanings doesn't mean gammas can't be happy with theirs. Don't feel threatened. There's teevee for you tonight! Maybe some sportsball!
                      Get over yourself Kep. I enjoy high art on screen and make sure to mix it in into my viewing queue quite often. I also can't remember the last time I watched a sporting event outside of the occasional Twins highlights, and the last full event start to finish was either a Gophers hockey game or the MN HS tournament both of which were in March. Also network TV is not my thing. About the only "junk" TV I ever watch is Survivor and cooking shows, which for some reason I'm forever a sucker for.

Just because I lampoon you doesn't mean I don't get it.

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                      I think you have our perspective 180* off of what most of our perceptions here actually are.

With Joker, pretty much everyone wants a "thinking man's movie".
                      That's exactly the impression I have, and not only don't I have a problem with it I applaud the choice. As I said I look forward to the release.

Comment

As for American contributions to the arts you can't leave out the blues although even the blues born of the south has musical DNA from West Africa by all accounts. Maybe chocolate chip cookies counts.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                          Of course, but it took The Element to turn it into the rap of visual media.
                          Last edited by Kepler; 08-29-2019, 03:27 PM.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Just because I lampoon you doesn't mean I don't get it.
                            I know you get it. That's the point.

A smart man pretending to be a dumb man to rally the other dumb men is one of the Great Joys of being a smart man. I'm just helping you along. I applaud your fine work in Applied Dunceploitation.
                            Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                              There is an article in the LA Times with Phillips about the film and he breaks it down best. This is HIS interpretation of the character (which is why Phoenix did it...this is something not done before and it will almost certainly be his only turn as the character) and the great thing is if you like it it works and if not there will be another version of Joker that comes out in a Batman film sooner or later. There is room in the genre for all types of films whether they are low budget character studies like this and Logan or stuff like Aquaman or Avengers that is rather weak on story but big on action and fun. (some can even be both ) Everything has its value.
                              I'm cool with that. I like that they keep trying.

I'm highly skeptical that I will be a fan of this version. It wasn't done very well in Gotham either. Heath Ledger set a very high bar.
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

bueller

Comment

Working...
                                X