Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

Landed in Vegas about an hour ago. Cant wait fir this game

Comment

Sorry for the slow motion response. Lots of demands on my time this holiday season. But seeing as how the game will be played later tonight, I'd better complete my reply. It's now or never. Hope you see this before face-off.

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Cornell Offense:

Up tempo, aggressive forecheck, several speedsters (8 - Kaldis, 9 - Bauld, 7 - Donaldson). Defensemen jump up into the offensive play at will. A few very high skill players (27 - Barron, 19 - Regush, 15 - Andreev, 24 - Malinski, 20 - Steinberg) with Barron being the most seriously dangerous sniper. We generate a ton of high percentage chances in close; it takes a very good goaltender to keep us off the board.
      For the Buckeyes, there was initially some concern that the scoring would be top heavy. But the truth is that they've gotten good scoring up the middle, on all lines. First Line Center #9 Tanner Laczynski leads the team in scoring with 18 Points, and also is a team high +12. Second Line Center #29 Gustaf Westlund leads the team in Goals with 9. Third Line Center #40 Ronnie Hein has 4 Goals & 5 Assists, for a healthy point total of 9.

Originally posted by Kepler
      Cornell Defense:

So far, so good. Dominated by freshmen (about 50% of all D minutes), with Kaldis, an All-American candidate, the best aggressive defender and 3 - Haiskenen and 5- Dirven the best stay at homes. D is quick and gets back fast which leads them to take a lot of chances, so fast breaks are a risk. D is not so great playing the body anymore (a shock for CU fans) so a very aggressive forecheck can get us locked into our zone if our passing is off. That's how Dartmouth forced turnovers for their goals to give us our only loss.
      Lots of talent on the Buckeye blue line. In the top pair, #5 Gordi Myer (Senior) tops the Shot Block list with 37. He's currently at +8. Frequent 'D' Partner, #61 Grant Gabriele, (Freshman) sports a +6. On the second pair, Fellow Freshman, #4 Layton Ahac, matches that +6. Frequent 'D' Partner Wyatt Ege (Senior) isn't far behind at +5. Oh, and expect a few cannon blasts to be launched by #50 Matt Miller from the point!

Adding To The Prognosis:

Interesting B1G vs. ECAC match-up. Pairwise points are on the line!

Last and presumably least, the USCHO Championship Belt is also up for grabs. It's a Title Bout In Vegas! Should be a fun one.
      Last edited by pgb-ohio; 01-03-2020, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
        Landed in Vegas about an hour ago. Cant wait for this game
        Very cool that you made the trip. I'm looking forward to your eyewitness account.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
          Assuming no sandbagging, OSU could have an advantage here...

... Similarly, the PK yields goals only 13.8% of the time. Though again similarly, the numbers are a little softer in the more recent games. Goals yielded by the PK were a key factor in a road loss to Penn State & a home tie against Minnesota. But if the Cornell PP is genuinely "ice cold," I'd expect the Buckeye PK to have a successful game.
          So we lose 5-2 & give up 2 PP Goals? Yikes, I couldn't have been more wrong.

Note to Self: Keep my "scouting" and "predicting" to an absolute minimum!

Comment

• Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
            So we lose 5-2 & give up 2 PP Goals? Yikes, I couldn't have been more wrong.

Note to Self: Keep my "scouting" and "predicting" to an absolute minimum!
            That is the best team i have seen this year. The play their system very well. The defensemen they have are big and very atrong. They took advantage of ohio state mistakes to the tune of 3 goals but that is what good teams do.

One thing that worries me about this Ohio State team is that any forecheck pressure and the defensemen cough up the puck. It cost them both games at ND and cost them again tonight.

Comment

That is the best team i have seen this year. The play their system very well. The defensemen they have are big and very strong. They took advantage of ohio state mistakes to the tune of 3 goals but that is what good teams do.
              Congratulations to Cornell. Turns out they were as good as advertised, and maybe better. At the very least, their "ice-cold" PP certainly thawed out in the warm Vegas sunshine.

There is some comfort in that. But the Proud Buckeye in me says this OSU group shouldn't fall behind 4-0 against anyone.

One thing that worries me about this Ohio State team is that any forecheck pressure and the defensemen cough up the puck. It cost them both games at ND and cost them again tonight.
              Sounds like the Big Red were laser-focused, and the Buckeyes were something less. I suppose games like the 3 mentioned put the guys on notice as to what it takes to get to the top. That's not all bad. And better now than in March.

The other silver lining is that since this is a holiday tournament, we're guaranteed 2 games. We get an immediate opportunity to bounce back against a credible Army team.

Did you see the Army/Providence game? If so, thoughts on Army?

Comment

• Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                Congratulations to Cornell. Turns out they were as good as advertised, and maybe better. At the very least, their "ice-cold" PP certainly thawed out in the warm Vegas sunshine.

There is some comfort in that. But the Proud Buckeye in me says this OSU group shouldn't fall behind 4-0 against anyone.

Sounds like the Big Red were laser-focused, and the Buckeyes were something less. I suppose games like the 3 mentioned put the guys on notice as to what it takes to get to the top. That's not all bad. And better now than in March.

The other silver lining is that since this is a holiday tournament, we're guaranteed 2 games. We get an immediate opportunity to bounce back against a credible Army team.

Did you see the Army/Providence game? If so, thoughts on Army?
                Army is scrappy they played gard the full 60 minutes and were really a bounce away from making it a much tighter game. Going to need a better 200 foit effort to beat them.

Comment

Army is scrappy they played gard the full 60 minutes and were really a bounce away from making it a much tighter game. Going to need a better 200 foit effort to beat them.
                  Got it; makes sense. Thanks for the reply. Have fun at today's games!

Comment

Thank you all for your comments (and rep! :-) ). Good luck against Army. OSU looks strong and I am sure they will be a strong competitor to run the table in the NC$$.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      Thank you all for your comments (and rep! :-) ). Good luck against Army. OSU looks strong and I am sure they will be a strong competitor to run the table in the NC$$.
                      That team is solid. I can definitely see them being in Detroit

Comment

A win is a win no matter what. Wasnt the best weekend of hockey by far but its better than nit playing at all. Tommy didnt get a lot of work but was solid when called upon. Two senior leaders got goals and thats what you need to have happen when others arent scoring. Once again the defensemen had a rough time handling the puck. This is getting more worrisome each weekend. On to Wisconsin and back to the grind of conference play. 7 series left in the season. Time to leave to your mark and how you want to be remembered.

Comment

is Westlund generating nhl interest? be's getting better and better ...

Comment

• Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                            A win is a win no matter what. Wasnt the best weekend of hockey by far but its better than nit playing at all. Tommy didnt get a lot of work but was solid when called upon. Two senior leaders got goals and thats what you need to have happen when others arent scoring. Once again the defensemen had a rough time handling the puck. This is getting more worrisome each weekend. On to Wisconsin and back to the grind of conference play. 7 series left in the season. Time to leave to your mark and how you want to be remembered.
                            My biggest worry coming in this season was defense and goalie. Tommy has definitely exceeded expectations but defense has lived up to my bad expectations. It’s hints of our defense under Oz. Any challenge at the blue and suddenly they just retreat. Wouldn’t always be that bad except our defense are slow. Their skating just isn’t up to par of what it should be and it ends up leaving Tommy out to dry.

In the end I think our middle and lower lines are stepping up for sure. It might not always be something on the stat sheets like a goal but a lot of blocking, forecheck pressure, and generally frustrating other teams top lines. We can sustain a few injuries and still function while some of the other top tier teams are going to face more issues with depth.

Summery of the weekend though: Stop playing down to other teams level.

Comment

• Originally posted by LunarOhio View Post
                              My biggest worry coming in this season was defense and goalie. Tommy has definitely exceeded expectations but defense has lived up to my bad expectations. It’s hints of our defense under Oz. Any challenge at the blue and suddenly they just retreat. Wouldn’t always be that bad except our defense are slow. Their skating just isn’t up to par of what it should be and it ends up leaving Tommy out to dry.

In the end I think our middle and lower lines are stepping up for sure. It might not always be something on the stat sheets like a goal but a lot of blocking, forecheck pressure, and generally frustrating other teams top lines. We can sustain a few injuries and still function while some of the other top tier teams are going to face more issues with depth.

Summery of the weekend though: Stop playing down to other teams level.
                              I was worried about how the defensemen would handle losing the leader from last year. He had a calming influence on the game when he was on the ice. While there are 3 seniors on this team i am not sure any of them had a role like they have now. The younget guys on the backend show their inexperience side often in the defensive zone. I dont think they played diwn to Cornell they are just that good but Army yea they played a bit down to that level. Army is scrappy though and i wouldnt be surprised to see them in a regional.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                Glad to do it & thanks. Always a pleasure to have a good "Hot Stove League" exchange.

Originally posted by LunarOhio View Post

Summary of the weekend though: Stop playing down to other teams level.
                                Fair observations in the two full paragraphs. I'll admit that the "Proud Buckeye in me" can sometimes be a little too positive.

I'd rethink the summary, however. I'm more persuaded by klbaum's take. It's important to analyze this year's body of work when evaluating opponents, as opposed to the brand name. The latter category includes the school we often leave unnamed. It's in our DNA to be thrilled with any victory over TTUN. But that program isn't performing up to its potential right now. They'll be back, make no mistake about that. But in 2019-20, those wins may not be as impressive as they feel to us.

The reverse can also be true. For many, the first instinct will be: ECAC? AH? How hard can it be? But 2019-20 track record, along klbaum's first hand observations, say that Army & Cornell are formidable teams this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X