Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    For an excellent write-up from the RIT perspective, check out Tom Naeger's fine post on the RIT thread.
    I took that advice and there's only one major point I'd disagree with and that's Tommy Nappier was the best goalie of the tournament, not Logan Dracket.
    Logan did give up very few rebounds where Western's goalie left so many rebounds on the doorstep but we could never get to them first.
    However, Tommy made so many great saves he's the sole reason we got as far as we did and to me is clearly tournament MVP.
    I did like Tom's comment about the boards there and had the exact same observation where we almost had things go wrong where the puck would come off the boards at a crazy angle that could not be anticipated.
    I wish all teams who participated the best of luck the rest of the season!

Comment

Couldnt be there friday night because of me coaching but yesterday i thought the first period wasnt good but as the game went on Ohio state got better and was the better team. I was impressed with Tommy he kept them in the game until the offense got going. Its early obviously but the PP needs some work they couldnt get a entry into the zone and set up for most of the night. Winning face offs has to be better especially in the defensive zone. Thought that Tanner was to unselfish at times not taking shots when he had a chance to. Its nice to raise a trophy no matter when it comes. On to the Mavericks next weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
        Its early obviously but the PP needs some work they couldnt get a entry into the zone and set up for most of the night.
        Being on a 5 minute major and you only get one goal with 2 seconds left in the penalty certainly reinforces Klbaum's needs work assessment.
        Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 10-13-2019, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
          P.S. I commend RIT as being the only team to bring a pep band. There was certainly room for all the team's bands!
          Very cool. The Tigers are indeed well supported by both their band and their student section. I'm guessing you attended the Ford Field FF. IMHO, the RIT Corner Crew was one of the best things at that tournament.

Now in fairness to the other three schools at the Ice Breaker, it should be pointed out that RIT doesn't sponsor Varsity Football. Go to the Homecoming Game at RIT and you'll find Hockey being played! In contrast, Football is a bit of a distraction in Ohio & Michigan.

I took that advice and there's only one major point I'd disagree with and that's Tommy Nappier was the best goalie of the tournament, not Logan Dracket.
          Logan did give up very few rebounds where Western's goalie left so many rebounds on the doorstep but we could never get to them first.
          However, Tommy made so many great saves he's the sole reason we got as far as we did and to me is clearly tournament MVP.
          I did like Tom's comment about the boards there and had the exact same observation where we almost had things go wrong where the puck would come off the boards at a crazy angle that could not be anticipated.
          The RIT faithful have extremely high expectations for Drackett. Couple that with the human tendency to feel that the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, and perhaps you've got an explanation for why Drackett's effort was underrated. (if it was)

... yesterday i thought the first period wasnt good but as the game went on Ohio State got better and was the better team. I was impressed with Tommy he kept them in the game until the offense got going. Its early obviously but the PP needs some work they couldn't get a entry into the zone and set up for most of the night. Winning face offs has to be better especially in the defensive zone. Thought that Tanner was to unselfish at times not taking shots when he had a chance to. Its nice to raise a trophy no matter when it comes...
          Amen. I will say that if you had offered me this start to the season back in September, I would have accepted it without hesitation.

Comment

It's early yet in the season but I kind of wonder if this team has an identity yet that they're focused on.

Comment

Being on a 5 minute major and you only get one goal with 2 seconds left in the penalty certainly reinforces Klbaum's needs work assessment.
              Im not so upset at only 1 goal on that major but the zone time and getting set up wasnt what i want to see but again its game 2 and things will get worked out.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                Very cool. The Tigers are indeed well supported by both their band and their student section. I'm guessing you attended the Ford Field FF. IMHO, the RIT Corner Crew was one of the best things at that tournament.
                I was at that frozen four and again in South Bend for the regional they were in and was very impressed with the crowd they brought. High energy at all times even when losing.

Comment

Im not so upset at only 1 goal on that major but the zone time and getting set up wasnt what i want to see but again its game 2 and things will get worked out.
                  I'll buy into that's it's early yet, what else can you do?
                  I don't think the team has it's full chemistry going yet, I forget which game but one of our guys did a no look pass behind him in the offensive zone but the teammate he expected to be there was nowhere to be found. The other detail that you didn't get to see but in the Western game the vast majority we brought the puck up along the boards only to get crunched off it time & again and that moving it up in open ice and passing wasn't in their minds.

Comment

It's going to be a ghost town there Friday against Omaha with big brother football playing that night (Thanks a lot B1G!) but I floated out to the power behind the throne that perhaps Saturday they could have the Icebreaker trophy on display in the Schott?

Comment

It's going to be a ghost town there Friday against Omaha with big brother football playing that night (Thanks a lot B1G!) but I floated out to the power behind the throne that perhaps Saturday they could have the Icebreaker trophy on display in the Schott?
                      Friday night is going to suck for sure. I debated if i was coming down for the with the football game at 830 but ill come down and find a spot to watch the football game after

Comment

Friday night is going to suck for sure. I debated if i was coming down for the with the football game at 830 but ill come down and find a spot to watch the football game after
                        Varsity Club would be the closest and you can't fault the atmosphere!

Comment

I'll be there Friday. I agree the scheduling sucks but I'd rather have the game when it is, overlapping with the football game for maybe 45 minutes, than have them put it as some weird time of day or move it to Sunday. Moving the hockey game from its normal time always kills attendance as much as or more than competing with football. I think Saturday I'm gonna head up to Chiller North and check out the new Junior team we have in town for a change. Apparently they've drawn well in their first couple of games.
                          Last edited by Buckeye22; 10-14-2019, 08:18 PM.
                          Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
                          University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

Very physical game tonight, with a few shots from UNO that looked dirty to me (the big scrum in front of the net that resulted in two UNO and one OSU penalties, for example), but its always hard to see everything from the stands without the benefit of replay. We were definitely pretty sloppy with penalties all night, but I'll take the win. I don't know if it was just a miscommunication or intentional, but if it was the latter then is was incredibly classless for the UNO players to skate off the ice without shaking hands at the end of the game. If it was the former I feel bad for the handful of Mavericks who stayed on the ice and shook hands, but its a bad look for them either way. I might change my mind and go to the game tomorrow. It has the makings for a pretty chippy one.
                            Last edited by Buckeye22; 10-18-2019, 09:29 PM.
                            Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
                            University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

Very sloppy game overall but a win is a win they all count. Omaha has some nice size in the back end just like Western did just not as talented. Have to cut out the dumb penalties before it cost them a game. The second too many men penalty was terrible they had 6 guys inside the blue line when the whistle blew. Tanner was the star he needs to be tonight for this team to be successful. 3 PPG's but again they werent very good at getting the entry and keeping the zone but that will improve. On to Tomorrow and a chance at the first sweep of the season.

Comment

My question is does anybody else feel any concern that in our first 4 games that like 90% of our goals only come from the PP?
                                Even strength 5 on 5 scoring seems to be eluding us for the most part so far.

Comment

Working...
                                X