Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    I watched Minnesota play North Dakota and ND was the better team by far but watching the mistakes the Gophers made on their home ice that kept the games from being competitive (and their fan's lamentations here on forum) tells me that for whatever reasons is a team struggling and Uncle Bob has yet to right the ship.
    I'm not saying they can't be dangerous but if we don't make mistakes we should be able to handle them next weekend on our home ice.
    Speaking of next weekend I wonder if anyone will show for the Saturday game being in direct conflict with the football game?
    Because the men's basketball team plays at home Saturday at noon bumping up our game time is unfortunately not an option!
    Yea Minnesota is really inconsistent so far this year. I know i am not coming Saturday not sure about friday or not

Comment

• Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

Is this old news and I missed it? I’m surprised I haven’t seen this yet.

New hockey arena at Ohio State will be for women’s team, not men’s

https://www.buckeyextra.com/sports/2...-not-menrsquos

The men’s team will continue to play out of Value City Arena and the women will get a new 2,500 seat arena. I’m too lazy to dig, but if I recall the women’s current rink is connected to infrastructure they want to demolish. So they need to do something there. But they’re now likely too cheap to get a nice dedicated 6,000 seat arena for hockey with a 1,500 seat practice rink / women’s competition rink. This will be expensive either way, so why not go all in for the nice arena?
      Last edited by slowe; 12-05-2019, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slowe View Post
        Is this old news and I missed it? I’m surprised I haven’t seen this yet.

New hockey arena at Ohio State will be for women’s team, not men’s

https://www.buckeyextra.com/sports/2...-not-menrsquos

The men’s team will continue to play out of Value City Arena and the women will get a new 2,500 seat arena. I’m too lazy to dig, but if I recall the women’s current rink is connected to infrastructure they want to demolish. So they need to do something there. But they’re now likely too cheap to get a nice dedicated 6,000 seat arena for hockey with a 1,500 seat practice rink / women’s competition rink. This will be expensive either way, so why not go all in for the nice arena?
        The are we getting a new area and how big should it be debate has resurfaced here for a number of years and I hope my reply does NOT rekindle it on forum.
        I can't speak to how recent or the validity of your article but many are opposed to the university tearing down St.John Arena as space clearing for a new sports complex and it would seem ridiculous to spend money on a new rink for the women after sinking a ton of money in renovations to the current rink.
        If they built a 2500 seat arena for women's hockey that means they would be play in front of a crowd that wouldn't even fill half of it!
        The proposed sports complex proposal has been out there for a number of years but I hear lack of funds is the reason it's been on the back shelf for some time.
        Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 12-06-2019, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Well that was an exciting a finish as one could wish for in a hockey game!
          That being said I'm going to be the critic here. I thought overall we didn't play at the level we're capable of where we time and again instead of taking control of the puck turning defense into offense we simply cleared it out of our zone giving it back to the Gophers. Keeping sustained control of the puck I thought was our biggest weakness.
          It was guys taking the shots when they had them that gave us the win as we had more than a few really good opportunities in close and were our own worst enemy with the classic "one pass too many!"
          2nd period for us was quite lackluster which seems to be a thing for us. I don't know if we try to go on cruise control to have gas in the tank for the 3rd or what the deal is but we see it a lot.
          It was great to see Miller finally back in the lineup coming back from his injury a month and a half ago but his time on the ice seemed limited yet.
          I think we can get the sweep but we're going to have to have more sustained effort as you know Minnesota is going to push it harder tonight!

Comment

The Buckeyes faced some adversity last night, but responded well:

1. Falling behind 2-1 in the 3rd Period to a young but hungry team? Not good.

2. Good things do happen when you go to the net, as #72 proved. Game tied 2-2.

3. Spectacular rush + stiff, accurate shot by #16 wins it in 5x5 OT. Three points earned!

Agreed that the Buckeyes need to play a strong 60 minutes tonight to complete the sweep.

One Option For Tonight: Support the Hockey Team Live at the Schott & Record the FB game for Later Viewing. Just Saying.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
              Well that was an exciting a finish as one could wish for in a hockey game!
              That being said I'm going to be the critic here. I thought overall we didn't play at the level we're capable of where we time and again instead of taking control of the puck turning defense into offense we simply cleared it out of our zone giving it back to the Gophers. Keeping sustained control of the puck I thought was our biggest weakness.
              It was guys taking the shots when they had them that gave us the win as we had more than a few really good opportunities in close and were our own worst enemy with the classic "one pass too many!"
              2nd period for us was quite lackluster which seems to be a thing for us. I don't know if we try to go on cruise control to have gas in the tank for the 3rd or what the deal is but we see it a lot.
              It was great to see Miller finally back in the lineup coming back from his injury a month and a half ago but his time on the ice seemed limited yet.
              I think we can get the sweep but we're going to have to have more sustained effort as you know Minnesota is going to push it harder tonight!
              Nice to win when you dont play your best game. Both penalties that resulted in goals were not smart but Tommy has to have both of those goals. Need to play etter tonight to get the sweep. Minnesota is very Young and had a good game plan from the start on. Nice to see Miller out there before the break to get back in game shape.

Comment

No matter what happens next weekend with Penn State and Notre Dame Series Ohio State will be in no less than 3rd place going into the Christmas Break.

Comment

Notre Dame losing tonight guarantees that Ohio State will be tied for 2nd place at the break.

Comment

Successful first half. Among other things, The Ohio State University is the current holder of The College Hockey Championship Belt.

https://board.uscho.com/showthread.p...p-Belt-Part-IV

OK, The Belt is just a creation of USCHO Fans. But mythical though it may be, it's fun to have the top spot.

Over the years Ralph Baer has done an amazing job of keeping all of the various belts current. I don't recall the exact season the thread started, but I have to believe it's been running for 15+ years, and it's still going strong.

For those unfamiliar, The Belt -- and its many variations, -- trace NCAA Hockey history back to origins. Each time a belt holder plays a game, it's a "championship bout." The challenger must win the game to take The Belt. If the current champ wins or ties, they retain it. Essentially it's a pro wrestling/pro boxing system of recognizing champions.

Note that the Buckeyes won The Belt with a victory over Penn State. (See Post #410) OSU successfully defended it against Michigan State, then again in the series with Minnesota. (See Post #420) The weekend after Christmas, the Buckeyes defend against Colgate.

Let's keep The Belt in Columbus!
                    Last edited by pgb-ohio; 12-20-2019, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Well the rust certainly showed last night with the Buckeyes allowing Colgate to out skate them a good part of the game but the boys kept enough gas in the tank to step it up several notches in the 3rd to keep the pressure on Colgate and come back from behind for the 3-2 win.
                      It was a chippy emotional game at times with some guys going at each other, especially at the end of the 1st period!
                      Unless I'm mistaken, with the exception of Miller's patented "Blue Line Blast" goal on the PP I think all the other goals in the game were scored on deflections by both sides.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                        Well the rust certainly showed last night with the Buckeyes allowing Colgate to out skate them a good part of the game but the boys kept enough gas in the tank to step it up several notches in the 3rd to keep the pressure on Colgate and come back from behind for the 3-2 win.
                        It was a chippy emotional game at times with some guys going at each other, especially at the end of the 1st period!
                        Unless I'm mistaken, with the exception of Miller's patented "Blue Line Blast" goal on the PP I think all the other goals in the game were scored on deflections by both sides.
                        Listened to the 3rd period on colgate's feed. The announcer said they were the better team for most of the game. Good teams find a way to win when not playing their best. This team has done that once again and hasnt lost since game 1 at Penn State 6 games ago.

Comment

Anybody like to give a shouting report for OSU for this Friday?

For Cornell:

Offense:

Up tempo, aggressive forecheck, several speedsters (8 - Kaldis, 9 - Bauld, 7 - Donaldson). Defensemen jump up into the offensive play at will. A few very high skill players (27 - Barron, 19 - Regush, 15 - Andreev, 24 - Malinski, 20 - Steinberg) with Barron being the most seriously dangerous sniper. We generate a ton of high percentage chances in close; it takes a very good goaltender to keep us off the board.

Defense:

So far, so good. Dominated by freshmen (about 50% of all D minutes), with Kaldis, an All-American candidate, the best aggressive defender and 3 - Haiskenen and 5- Dirven the best stay at homes. D is quick and gets back fast which leads them to take a lot of chances, so fast breaks are a risk. D is not so great playing the body anymore (a shock for CU fans) so a very aggressive forecheck can get us locked into our zone if our passing is off. That's how Dartmouth forced turnovers for their goals to give us our only loss.

Goaltending:

35 - Galajda has gone coast to coast, returning to his freshman All-Everything self.

Special Teams:

A problem. PP started on fire and has gone ice cold. Kill has had problems all year perhaps because of all the frosh minutes (7 freshmen are regularly starting).

Prognosis:

Hopefully at the very least a Frozen Four team. Much, much better so far than last year's NCAA Quarterfinalist. Weaknesses are the inconsistent power play and the just plain bad kill. Strengths are everything else, in particular conditioning and getting stronger / adjusting as the game progresses. Best Cornell squad since the 2003 national #1 who lost in the SF in Buffalo.
                          Last edited by Kepler; 12-30-2019, 02:02 PM.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            Anybody like to give a shouting report for OSU for this Friday?
                            Shouting Reports aren't my style. But thanks for stopping in with your fine Scouting Report.

Wanting to give you an initial reply right away, I'll skip ahead to the Prognosis. Will try to add more particulars later.

Prognosis:

Hopefully at the very least a Frozen Four team. Much, much better so far than last year's NCAA Quarterfinalist. Weaknesses are the inconsistent power play and the just plain bad kill. Strengths are everything else, in particular conditioning and getting stronger / adjusting as the game progresses. Best Cornell squad since the 2003 national #1 who lost in the SF in Buffalo.
                            Sounds like this could be a preview of a Regional Final! It would be an honor if it plays out that way.

B1G teams tend to have a problem with losing key players early to the pros. We have very good players, but haven't lost them quite as early or quite as often as some of our conference mates. Add in Coach Rohlik's level-headed style, and a genuinely good group of guys. The result is a carefully constructed team that has had the opportunity to develop good chemistry. They've done so. It's a team I'm proud to support.

Perhaps oddly, this is a team that gets less attention than it deserves. I guess human nature prefers train wrecks. But if these Buckeyes are flying a bit under the radar, the only option is to embrace that and try to use it to our advantage.

I remember the 2003 Cornell squad very well. Any comparison to that team is high praise for the current squad. I've wondered how 2003 Cornell would have done in the title game. As I'm sure you recall, 2003 Minnesota was an offensive juggernaut that steamrolled UNH for the championship. I'm guessing Cornell would have been a tougher out, had they beaten UNH.

As for this weekend, having the game in Vegas, over the holidays, makes it extremely tough to predict. Will one or both teams be distracted by the tourist mecca? Or will a team fall into the "business trip" trap and come out flat? Whichever team can maintain a good combination of focus & passion will win. And again, this is likely just a preview of bigger things to come for both teams.
                            Last edited by pgb-ohio; 12-31-2019, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Continuing On...

Originally posted by Kepler
                              Cornell Special Teams:

A problem. PP started on fire and has gone ice cold. Kill has had problems all year perhaps because of all the frosh minutes (7 freshmen are regularly starting).
                              Assuming no sandbagging, OSU could have an advantage here.

Overall, the Buckeye Power Player has converted at a very respectable rate of 23.1%. I wouldn't, however, describe them as a lock to score. The numbers are padded a bit by strong production early on. Maybe opposing coaches began to solve the Buckeye PP. Or maybe the competition just got tougher. Regardless, a return to the production rate of the first 8 games would be nice to see.

Similarly, the PK yields goals only 13.8% of the time. Though again similarly, the numbers are a little softer in the more recent games. Goals yielded by the PK were a key factor in a road loss to Penn State & a home tie against Minnesota. But if the Cornell PP is genuinely "ice cold," I'd expect the Buckeye PK to have a successful game.

Comment

Next Up:

Originally posted by Kepler
                                Goaltending:

35 - Galajda has gone coast to coast, returning to his freshman All-Everything self.
                                #37 Tommy Nappier has been The Man for the Buckeyes, starting all but one game:

Goals Against Average = 1.78
                                Save Percentage = 93.7%
                                Record = 10-4-2

Galajda vs. Nappier seems like a lock.

Comment

Working...
                                X