Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Watt Will Her Point Total This This Season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Watt Will Her Point Total This This Season?

Originally posted by NMH View Post
    This is the weekend Wisconsin was supposed to play Princeton and afaik, Princeton backed out sometimes in the second half of last season. That left the Badgers with schedule room to fill and not a lot of options for teams to fill it.

Beyond that, though I get that many don't think it's actually a nice thing for the Badgers to show up and dominate a squad, Mark has a long history of being open to scheduling new teams and making sure women's hockey is happening in parts of the country that aren't home to programs. Wisconsin was the first team to schedule Lindenwood and the Badgers have played in California, Colorado, Lake Placid, Florida and this year, Tennessee (and this is not a comprehensive list). This series is very much of Mark's MO.
    In his press conference today, MJ said (in so many words) that when the Princeton series fell through, the Women's Hockey Director of Operations Sis Paulsen got in touch with people she knew at LIU from her days playing and coaching in the east and greater NY area and they made it happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      Or not, on pace for 102 pts. LUI coming up....
      On pace for 106 pts. Unfortunately her goal scoring streak ended Saturday, she only had 3A. OSU and UMD lost to Kato and Bemiji, the wwcha could be weaker than ever.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

OSU and UMD lost to Kato and Bemiji, the wwcha could be weaker than ever.
        Or more balanced than ever.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
          Or more balanced than ever.
          Come on you guys everyone knows when the WCHA bottom feeders win, it means the WCHA is "balanced," but when the WHEA bottom feeders win, it means the WHEA is "weak." You guys have been around long enough to know this!
          Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
          Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
          Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
            ... when the WHEA bottom feeders win, it means the WHEA is "weak." You guys have been around long enough to know this!
            The last couple of years, I think that the bottom of WHEA (okay, minus HC) has improved. It is the top of the league that I thought has been weak.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
              Come on you guys everyone knows when the WCHA bottom feeders win, it means the WCHA is "balanced," but when the WHEA bottom feeders win, it means the WHEA is "weak." You guys have been around long enough to know this!
              TBH, we are just happy to know that somebody out east takes our opinions seriously. But, yes, you seem to have paraphrased it correctly.

Comment

Daryl Watts was interviewed on last night's "Wisconsin Hockey Hour" (by Brian Posick, UW men's hockey radio play-by-play guy, and father of UW Women's forward Maddie Posick).

She touched on the Canadian national team and being 'centralized', but just barely and doesn't give any 'insight' as to the questions posted here; and she talks some about why she transferred and then why Wisconsin (vs Minnesota or Clarkson).

Her segment starts about 28:50 into the program, and talk of transfer happens at about 37:45 and again at about 42 minutes.

https://player.fm/series/wisconsin-b...ctober-22-2019

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                  Daryl Watts was interviewed on last night's "Wisconsin Hockey Hour" (by Brian Posick, UW men's hockey radio play-by-play guy, and father of UW Women's forward Maddie Posick).

She touched on the Canadian national team and being 'centralized', but just barely and doesn't give any 'insight' as to the questions posted here; and she talks some about why she transferred and then why Wisconsin (vs Minnesota or Clarkson).

Her segment starts about 28:50 into the program, and talk of transfer happens at about 37:45 and again at about 42 minutes.

https://player.fm/series/wisconsin-b...ctober-22-2019
                  That was GOLD er ah RED! Basically she felt like she couldn't win the NC$$ @ BC and she lamented that she and Kaitrin couldn't find a linemate that they could get good chemistry with. I also got the impression she felt that BC wasn't the best place for her to be at to develop to make the Olympic team. Interesting for sure. I enjoyed the part where she said after visiting UW, MN and the Fightin Nurses that UW was the clear clear choice for her.
                  Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                  Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                  Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                  "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                  Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I enjoyed the part where she said after visiting UW, MN and the Fightin Nurses that UW was the clear clear choice for her.
                    I have told friends's kids and relatives about choosing a college that they should think about it as choosing small/medium/large school in small/medium/large city. If you think about Wisconsin vs Minnesota vs Clarkson (vs BC) in that way, she chose large school-medium city instead of large school/large city or small school/small city. I'm glad to hear that - so far at least - she's happy with the choice (even mentioning hanging around for grad school).

Comment

I have told friends's kids and relatives about choosing a college that they should think about it as choosing small/medium/large school in small/medium/large city. If you think about Wisconsin vs Minnesota vs Clarkson (vs BC) in that way, she chose large school-medium city instead of large school/large city or small school/small city.
                      I get that Minneapolis is larger than Madison, but from a student-athlete perspective, do you think that there is really that much difference? Much of the size difference is that the Twin Cities suburbs extend a lot farther, but much of a student-athlete's life is centered around campus, and large schools have large campuses either way.

Wisconsin probably offered her other advantages such as better odds to win a title, and maybe coach Johnson still had some unspent scholarship money remaining, whereas I doubt that the Gophers had any that was not yet allocated.

Anyway, it sounds like she made the best choice for her. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                        do you think that there is really that much difference?
                        I have lived in Madison and Los Angeles for the great portion of my adult life, and have driven in 'downtown' Minneapolis on a half-dozen occasions. While there is certainly a 'time on task' element to it - much more time spent in LA than in Minneapolis - the freeways in Minneapolis are at least the equal in complexity to 'downtown' LA, in terms of interchanges, on/off ramps, etc. And of course, Madison has nothing that remotely compares.

Yeah, I think there's that much a difference. Minneaoplis is very much a 'big city' compared to Madison.

(Never been to Boston.)
                        Last edited by robertearle; 10-23-2019, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Maybe I'm going too much by what I see, with the athletes driving their scooters everywhere around campus. Downtown is on the other side of the river if you want to avoid it, and a light-rail trip if you want to get there easily.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                            Maybe I'm going too much by what I see,
                            At your age, it's probably worthwhile to ask if you've had your eyesight checked lately?
                            At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                              At your age, it's probably worthwhile to ask if you've had your eyesight checked lately?
                              They don't even check my eyes anymore; they just give me a new white cane.

Comment

I have lived in Madison and Los Angeles for the great portion of my adult life, and have driven in 'downtown' Minneapolis on a half-dozen occasions. While there is certainly a 'time on task' element to it - much more time spent in LA than in Minneapolis - the freeways in Minneapolis are at least the equal in complexity to 'downtown' LA, in terms of interchanges, on/off ramps, etc. And of course, Madison has nothing that remotely compares.

Yeah, I think there's that much a difference. Minneaoplis is very much a 'big city' compared to Madison.

(Never been to Boston.)
                                c'mon, there is no comparison between LA and the Twin Cities, Milwaukee is actually bigger (unless you include the 'burbs) than the TC
                                I've lived and worked in all three, you couldn't get me back to LA with a gun to my head
                                Spent a lot of time in Madison, if for no other reason than to get away from Milwaukee, I'd probably have worked there if the pay wasn't so low
                                Madison has the advantages of the big city but none of the downsides, well at least for the most part
                                mainly being the home of the university and capital, take that away and it's a small town, which IMO, is a plus

Comment

Working...
                                X