X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nice Planet 17: I Need a Cold ****ty Beer to Deal with You ***holes

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Speaking as a fellow Grammar Nazi:

1. The dopes will always have bad grammar. This is good; it's a quick way of identifying them at parties so one does not waste time with them. We should not fight poor grammar in the same way we should not fight religion. It's a useful social marker for rubes to be fleeced or f-cked and forgotten as the mood strikes us. Think of it has a happily self-applied little yellow star. I mean, what else are we supposed to do, ask to check their driver's license to see if they're Flyover?

2. English desperately needs a non-gendered pronoun set.

3. They/them is there, commonly used, and has no gender-related baggage at all.

It is the obvious solution. I WILL CONVINCE YOU!
    The simple solution is to let a new word evolve to take that place. Like almost every new word in the language. There are half a dozen gender-neutral pronouns out there. Let one of them win out. Millenial won out over Gen Y this way. "They" is a word with a defined meaning. You don't assign a word a new definition that carries what is effectively the opposite of what it originally intended. This isn't fungible. Especially when you get into legal documents.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      "They" is a word with a defined meaning. You don't assign a word a new definition that carries what is effectively the opposite of what it originally intended.
      You don't assign it, you allow usage to shift and evolve.

And this is not a matter of opposite definition at all. "They" isn't the opposite of "one." It's a slang version of it. And slang becomes accepted language all the time. Not a lot of us are walking around saying thou, thy, thee and thine anymore (although I sure as sh-t wish we were. Those are GREAT!).
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

That it is already part of the lexicon.
        Except you can search for "whsitle" and "whistleblower" in the Cafe and all that will turn up is everyone using 'he' instead of 'she or he'. I can't find a single instance of 'they' being used going back a month.

Actually, nix that. Scooby used "him/her" in a post. Hovey used "they".
        Code:
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          That's one euphemism for the sex offender registry.
          When has mookie ever offended Kepler sexually??
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Except you can search for "whsitle" and "whistleblower" in the Cafe and all that will turn up is everyone using 'he' instead of 'she or he'. I can't find a single instance of 'they' being used going back a month.

Actually, nix that. Scooby used "him/her" in a post. Hovey used "they".
            You're moving the goalposts. You asked what the statement would prove, not whether it was factually correct.

I plan to use them/they/their from here on out for non-gendered singular. I'm pretty sure I have the grammatical bona fides to get away with it. Only Nixon could go to China.

If any person objects to this THEY CAN FIGHT ME.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
              All of you were quick to use the singular they when referring to Trump's whistle blower....
              Speak for yourself.

I edit other attorneys' writing daily. I'm constantly changing "they" to "it" when referring to a company or other collective entity. One of the most consistent edits I have to make.
              Last edited by unofan; 11-07-2019, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                Speak for yourself.

I edit other attorneys' writing daily. I'm constantly changing "they" to "it" when referring to a company. One of the most consistent edits I have to make.
                What is legal usage for referring to a non-gendered singular? "His or her."? My does the male go first?
                Last edited by Kepler; 11-07-2019, 10:13 AM.
                Cornell University

Comment

2. English desperately needs a non-gendered pronoun set.
                  Take it up with the Norman invaders. They're the reason English lost the neuter and a proper dative case ("whom" doesn't really count).

D@mn French, ruining everything that isn't food.
                  Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 11-07-2019, 09:58 AM.

Comment

What is legal usage for referring to a non-gendered singular? "His or her."? My does the male go first?

You might want to check that link
                    Code:

Comment

You're moving the goalposts. You asked what the statement would prove, not whether it was factually correct.

I plan to use them/they/their from here on out for non-gendered singular. I'm pretty sure I have the grammatical bona fides to get away with it. Only Nixon could go to China.

If any person objects to this THEY CAN FIGHT ME.
                      That's fair. I did. Doesn't mean I'm wrong now. Just means I made the wrong initial reply.
                      Code:

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                        Speak for yourself.

I edit other attorneys' writing daily. I'm constantly changing "they" to "it" when referring to a company or other collective entity. One of the most consistent edits I have to make.
                        I do this on all sorts of papers, manuals, etc. I try to catch myself as much as possible. But I'm usually pretty vigilant. I've made sure the several hundred pages of standards for our engineering department don't use 'they' as singular. Comes up all the time.
                        Code:

Comment

You might want to check that link
                          Bah. I always do that. Stupid pdf downloads.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            Take it up with the Norman invaders. They're the reason English lost the neuter and a proper dative case ("whom" doesn't really count).

D@mn French, ruining everything that isn't food.
                            Saxon looks pretty daunting. Heavily inflected languages are scary.

Here is the Preamble to the Declaration of Independence in Icelandic:

Þegar maður er á gangi mannlegra atburða verður það nauðsynlegt fyrir eitt þjóð að leysa upp stjórnmálasveitirnar sem hafa tengt þau við aðra og taka meðal valds jarðar að sér þá aðskildu og jöfnu stöð sem lög náttúrunnar og náttúrunnar Guð veitir þeim rétt, ágætis virðing fyrir skoðunum mannkyns krefst þess að þeir lýsi yfir ástæðum sem knýja þá til aðskilnaðar.

Looks like f-cking Elvish.
                            Last edited by Kepler; 11-07-2019, 10:23 AM.
                            Cornell University

Comment

Well, I know my non-binary friends hate being called "it." Their pronouns are they/them, and even though you don't like it, it's part of life now. It really doesn't take a lot to respect a person's pronouns.

APA says it's okay.

The official Merriam-Webster Dictionary added "they" as a singular.

You asked me to educate you. I am. And yet, some of you are turning your noses up at it.
                              Last edited by MissThundercat; 11-07-2019, 10:51 AM.
                              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                              Patreon for exclusive writing content
                              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                                Well, I know my non-binary friends hate being called "it." Their pronouns are they/them, and even though you don't like it, it's part of life now. It really doesn't take a lot to respect a person's pronouns.

APA says it's okay.

The official Merriam-Webster Dictionary added "they" as a singular.

You asked me to educate you. I am. And yet, some of you are turning your noses up at it.
                                Or, you just refer to that person by name instead of a pronoun.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X