WCHA Conference: The 2019-20 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WCHA Conference: The 2019-20 Season

Whatever the problems that women's hockey had in NoDak, lack of coverage by the Grand Forks Herald wasn't one of them. Note that on that page there are also links to an interview with the new WCHA Women's Commissioner. That's pretty good, given that the women's team is gone and the men's team is gone from the WCHA.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Nice article on St. Cloud State netminder Emma Polusny.

"This year was awesome for me to make the Under-22 team and get to play Canada for the first time. It was kind of an awesome experience to join the rivalry that's existed between the U.S. and Canada. If you can be a part of that rivalry in any way, it's a pretty cool experience."

SCSU goalie's stock rising with USA Hockey despite 'late' start to career
      https://www.grandforksherald.com/spo...tart-to-career
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Preseason All-WCHA Team
        Forward: Emma Maltais, Jr., Ohio State
        Forward: Grace Zumwinkle, Jr., Minnesota
        Forward: Abby Roque, Sr., Wisconsin (tie)
        Forward: Sophie Shirley, So., Wisconsin (tie)
        Defense: Jincy Dunne, Sr., Ohio State (unanimous)
        Defense: McKenzie Steffen, Sr., Wisconsin
        Goaltender: Kristen Campbell, Sr., Wisconsin

Preseason WCHA Co-Player of the Year: Abby Roque, Sr., F, Wisconsin (2 votes) and Emma Maltais, Jr., F, Ohio State (2 votes)
        Others receiving votes: Jincy Dunne, Sr., D, Ohio State (1); Sophie Shirley, So., F, Wisconsin (1); Grace Zumwinkle, Jr., F, Minnesota (1)

Preseason WCHA Rookie of the Year: >Madeline Wethington, Fr., D, Minnesota (3)
        Others receiving votes: Grace Shirley, Fr., F, Wisconsin (2); Dara Grieg, Fr., F. Wisconsin (1); Klara Hymlarova, Fr., F, St. Cloud State (1)

WCHA Preseason Coaches' Poll
        1. Wisconsin (6 first place votes), 36 points
        2. Minnesota (1), 31 points
        3. Ohio State, 24 points
        4. Minnesota Duluth, 23 points
        5. Bemidji State, 15 points
        6. Minnesota State, 12 points
        7. St. Cloud State, 6 points
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
          Preseason All-WCHA Team
          Forward: Emma Maltais, Jr., Ohio State
          Forward: Grace Zumwinkle, Jr., Minnesota
          Forward: Abby Roque, Sr., Wisconsin (tie)
          Forward: Sophie Shirley, So., Wisconsin (tie)
          Defense: Jincy Dunne, Sr., Ohio State (unanimous)
          Defense: McKenzie Steffen, Sr., Wisconsin
          Goaltender: Kristen Campbell, Sr., Wisconsin

Preseason WCHA Co-Player of the Year: Abby Roque, Sr., F, Wisconsin (2 votes) and Emma Maltais, Jr., F, Ohio State (2 votes)
          Others receiving votes: Jincy Dunne, Sr., D, Ohio State (1); Sophie Shirley, So., F, Wisconsin (1); Grace Zumwinkle, Jr., F, Minnesota (1)

Preseason WCHA Rookie of the Year: >Madeline Wethington, Fr., D, Minnesota (3)
          Others receiving votes: Grace Shirley, Fr., F, Wisconsin (2); Dara Grieg, Fr., F. Wisconsin (1); Klara Hymlarova, Fr., F, St. Cloud State (1)

WCHA Preseason Coaches' Poll
          1. Wisconsin (6 first place votes), 36 points
          2. Minnesota (1), 31 points
          3. Ohio State, 24 points
          4. Minnesota Duluth, 23 points
          5. Bemidji State, 15 points
          6. Minnesota State, 12 points
          7. St. Cloud State, 6 points
          Watt!????

In other news, conference OT will follow the men:
          5 min 5x5 <- NCAA rules
          5 min 3x3
          shootout.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            Watt!????

In other news, conference OT will follow the men:
            5 min 5x5 <- NCAA rules
            5 min 3x3
            shootout.
            Watt is like getting no love at all. It's like she played in the CHA or something.

I don't like the 3 on 3. It's not real hockey. I say 20 minutes of 5 on 5 then call it a draw.

Comment

Some good info about the conference in this article:
              Wisconsin, Gophers are top two picks in WCHA Women's League

http://www.startribune.com/wisconsin...aign=Puck-Drop

Comment

What in the world does it mean to be pre-season co-player of the year? I just don’t get this stuff. Fans can anticipate, speculate, cogitate about the upcoming season, that's what we do, but for conference brass to weigh in on who’s going to be the best player or what team stays in the cellar is just misdirected. . . maybe not pernicious, but idle at best, imho. I know that polling is in everybody's blood, but maybe detox and stick with top three team projections, say. Student-athletes suited up for their first game have already made it, crossed a thousand thresholds, met a thousand expectations. Leave them alone until the puck drops! Nobody expects to see Union in the Frozen Four, but the ECAC doesn’t have to take a position on it. And why place the burden of expected WCHA POTY on any young skater? Seriously. Are there pre-season ROTYs in water polo? I don’t know. But neither fans nor players of women’s hockey need to get officially, artificially pumped or poked. Give us that.
                Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 09-14-2019, 10:13 AM.

Comment

I'll take the opposite view with three positives.

1. It's interesting to see what a league's coaches are thinking/expecting.
                  2. It generates publicity and attention as the season is about to get underway.
                  3. For the WCHA it puts all the pressure on Wisconsin!

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post

3. For the WCHA it puts all the pressure on Wisconsin!
                    I like #3. I would also like the inclusiveness of a pre-season COTY that addresses the same question: who's likely to be the most successful with the talent available to them? Let this group experience it all first-hand.
                    Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 09-14-2019, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post
                      What in the world does it mean to be pre-season co-player of the year? I just don’t get this stuff. Fans can anticipate, speculate, cogitate about the upcoming season, that's what we do, but for conference brass to weigh in on who’s going to be the best player or what team stays in the cellar is just misdirected. . . maybe not pernicious, but idle at best, imho. I know that polling is in everybody's blood, but maybe detox and stick with top three team projections, say. Student-athletes suited up for their first game have already made it, crossed a thousand thresholds, met a thousand expectations. Leave them alone until the puck drops! Nobody expects to see Union in the Frozen Four, but the ECAC doesn’t have to take a position on it. And why place the burden of expected WCHA POTY on any young skater? Seriously. Are there pre-season ROTYs in water polo? I don’t know. But neither fans nor players of women’s hockey need to get officially, artificially pumped or poked. Give us that.
                      Thank you, you are not the only one thinking this. But then again, its a numbers game in the WCHA.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post

3. For the WCHA it crushes all hope Minnesota has to win the title!
                        FYP. I'm a team player.

Comment

Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post
                          I had never really thought about this perspective of it before, some good points. That said, I do like knowing who the coaches think are the best teams and players, because in an undercovered sport the coaches are possibly the most knowledgeable about a conference inside and out. That’s not to say bias can’t influence their votes of course. Ohio State in the 3 spot and unanimous votes for Jincy Dunne are really interesting for example, given the on going debate (at least in my mind) as to who is number 3 in WCHA.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                            Ohio State in the 3 spot and unanimous votes for Jincy Dunne are really interesting for example, given the on going debate (at least in my mind) as to who is number 3 in WCHA.
                            You're right that OSU is third, but by only a point over UMD. I see the two as being very close and their battle likely being decided when the Buckeyes visit Duluth 2/7 and 2/8.

I understand those saying that the preseason poll is meaningless, but I always like seeing how the coaches think the RotY might shake out. As a fan, I might think that someone like Hannah Brandt is going to make an impact, but when all 8 coaches predict she'll be RotY, then that tells me something. The other awards are more predictable, as the coaches tend to predict that the defending champ will win again, and they vote for seniors when possible.
                            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Bemidji might surprise this year. Solid core of veteran players and some scoring punch. Can they compete with UMD and OSU for the 3rd spot?

Comment

If Bemidji's goaltending is stellar, they'll have a chance to surprise for third place. As always they'll start with a defensive mindset and hope to force low scoring games in which either team has great chance going into the final minutes.

Comment

Working...
                                X