Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WCHA Conference: The 2019-20 Season

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    That's why I don't like them. And in reality, they try and spread the love around from watt I recall in the past. Do they players really care anyway? That award doesn't do a thing for them in the big picture and they are probably not numb to reality that if a Mav gets one over a UW, UM or OSU player it was a bit of a spread the love around call more than anything.
    FYI you are free to ignore these announcements, any time you wish to do so. I know if I felt they were pointless, that's what I'd do.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
      FYI you are free to ignore these announcements, any time you wish to do so. I know if I felt they were pointless, that's what I'd do.
      I did unfollow the wwcha this week on the tweeder. It was pointless to follow them. All the info I need comes from this site and the posters.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I'm pretty interested in the OSU/BSU matchup. BSU seemed a little quicker this year and they played well as a team last weekend, swept UMD the week before. I could see them getting some points. OSU taking some points from the rodents was surprising, prior to that they had only beat Sts L and CL.

Too bad MSU isn't playing league games this weekend, they are on a little roll. I think Merrimack will help them stay on the roll they are on. Then they come to Madtown and I get to see them first hand.

UW playing UM is always an interesting affair. UM seems to have more scoring depth, but UW's 2nd and 3rd lines are very responsible defensively, so that could be a wash. UW has the advantage in goal and their top line has more firepower than UM's , but this will be the fastest team they will play all year, so we'll see how that shakes out.

Comment

That's why I don't like them. And in reality, they try and spread the love around from watt I recall in the past. Do they players really care anyway? That award doesn't do a thing for them in the big picture and they are probably not numb to reality that if a Mav gets one over a UW, UM or OSU player it was a bit of a spread the love around call more than anything.
          I can say from firsthand experience that at least some players and teams consider it a real honor - even giving out plaques at the end of the season to players who received the WCHA recognition during the season. I also don’t see the awards as completely random. Seems to me like the deciders take into account the opponents, the importance of the game, the importance of particular goals, etc. rather than just recognizing the top scorer, for example, every time. I’ll also say if my kid ever gets such recognition she and our whole family will thoroughly enjoy it!

Comment

I agree, these awards require little to no thought by the WCHA. It is just a free way for them to promote the league. If you take a look, these awards are based 100% on numbers. A player could have 12 SOG, score one goal (GWG) but because another player had 2 or 3 second assists, they had more points so the MUST be the better player that week. Defensively, a player might have a point or two with 5 blocked shots and be D of the week even though they turned the puck over 7 times resulting in a couple of scores. I really don't think that the people choosing these awards actually watch the games, they just take a look at the game sheets thus proving most of the points on this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by agfire View Post
              I really don't think that the people choosing these awards actually watch the games, they just take a look at the game sheets thus proving most of the points on this thread.
              My understanding is that each team can nominate one of their players for each of the categories, and the team builds a case for why it feels that player is deserving of recognition. The teams try to spread it around within their own roster. I think that the coaches kind of look around the league, and if a player from another team had a hat trick in the first game and four points in the second while her team swept, then they might conclude that she is likely to win OPotW; thus, the coach might decide to nominate a player who doesn't often have a lot of offensive success, even if she didn't have the biggest weekend on her own team. It might mean more to her to get that nod from her own team than somebody who has already been recognized a dozen times in her career.
              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Who cares how they select the players. Generally speaking they are correct with their choices and it’s a feel good moment for the players and their respective teams. If a player on a poor team gets nominated once in her career, she will remember that moment.

Comment

Is there a schedule for WCHA games being televised on FSN?

Comment

Originally posted by agfire View Post
                    Is there a schedule for WCHA games being televised on FSN?
                    Don't know, but it looks like tonight's SCSU @ UMD game is on FSN.
                    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      Don't know, but it looks like tonight's SCSU @ UMD game is on FSN.
                      I went to watch it and that "channel is no longer available".

Comment

I went to watch it and that "channel is no longer available".
                        Do you happen to have Dish? I believe I read that they no longer carry FSN.

Comment

Hello to all my favorite midwestern elitists!

I put together a preview for the weekend Country Classic:

https://www.bcinterruption.com/bosto...ckey-nashville
                          Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                          Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                          Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

"These neutral-site games don’t often have streaming available, but it looks like there will be a certainly-better-than-nothing video option available for the games. Check back here on Thursday afternoon when we’ll have more details for you.”

Thx. The weird thing is that while both the midwest schools’ sites list Flohockey, the Flohockey.tv site doesn’t have the games on their schedule.

As for predictions, I applaud your desire to keep things interesting by throwing all your meticulously crunched numbers to the wind.

Comment

Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post
                              "These neutral-site games don’t often have streaming available, but it looks like there will be a certainly-better-than-nothing video option available for the games. Check back here on Thursday afternoon when we’ll have more details for you.”

Thx. The weird thing is that while both the midwest schools’ sites list Flohockey, the Flohockey.tv site doesn’t have the games on their schedule.
                              It's been reported elsewhere that the games will be streamed on "Livebarn" (which I've never heard of!) and you can buy a monthly pass for $16.95.
                              https://www.livebarn.com/

Comment

I think none of the teams will come away with 2 regulation/OT wins. MN and UW have warts, BC and Hawvard will be uber motivated.

Tickets are $15.00 each. What a joke.

In the event of a draw after the OT, is that it or will they try and decide a winner via some other contest loosely connected to ice hockey?

Comment

Working...
                                X