WCHA Conference: The 2019-20 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WCHA Conference: The 2019-20 Season

I'd be very surprised if Wisconsin does not have a goalie next season who is statistically at least the equal of what Campbell has been this season, because she has been a couple of notches below what she was last year. We've talked about the team's defensive issues, but I also suspect that she's been less than 100% healthy for much of the year. Rooney is the goalie who will be most difficult for her team to replace.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
      I realize this is a 2020-2021 topic, but it’s interesting to ponder how next year’s WCHA will be different with the significant goalie changes. Out are Rooney, Campbell, Scobee, Bench, and Alder (who hasn’t played much this season but was still very good). Rooney and Bench have absolutely stolen big wins for UMD and BSU; it appears Blesi is no Soup and I don’t believe Pahl is on par with Scobee. Maybe St Cloud and Mankato see this as an opportunity for more wins next year? And OSU has to be happy not to face these goalies anymore.
      You missed Gulstene as another very good goalie who will be missed next year. Her injury retirement leaves UM with two untested goalies for next year. I'm hoping the team can pick up someone like Amanda Pelkey, a goalie of the year finalist who hasn't made a college commitment, as injury insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by OldDave View Post
        You missed Gulstene as another very good goalie who will be missed next year. Her injury retirement leaves UM with two untested goalies for next year. I'm hoping the team can pick up someone like Amanda Pelkey, a goalie of the year finalist who hasn't made a college commitment, as injury insurance.
        Speaking of picking up a goalie....where is Canadian u18 goalie Eve Gascon headed? No commitment announcement as far as I am aware. She’s a 2021, so it wouldn’t affect next year...but maybe she lands somewhere in the WCHA?

Comment

Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post
          Speaking of picking up a goalie....where is Canadian u18 goalie Eve Gascon headed? No commitment announcement as far as I am aware. She’s a 2021, so it wouldn’t affect next year...but maybe she lands somewhere in the WCHA?
          Paging Mark Johnson, do you read, over?
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

With a week to go, the entire range of possibilities is open to Wisconsin and Minnesota for the conference championship:

Wisconsin by a game is obviously possible.

Minnesota by a game is certainly possible.

A tie is clearly possible

And if either is involved is any tie games next weekend, someone winning by, someone winning by less than a 'full game' is almost a certainty.

(Last year, Minnesota won the conference by two standings points. In 2016, Wisconsin won by a single stands point. Has there ever been a flat-out tie?)

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
              Has there ever been a flat-out tie?
              UMD and Minnesota tied in 2009-10 with the Bulldogs getting the higher seed and winning the WCHA (and NCAA) tournament. I don't remember any others offhand, but I could be wrong.

Comment

So does the men's wcha folding into the ccha affect the wwcha?

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                  So does the men's wcha folding into the ccha affect the wwcha?
                  That would be BSU and MSU leaving the men's WCHA, right? It shouldn't, given that those are the only two programs that shared that conference on the men's side. UW, UM, and OSU are in BIG, and UMD and SCSU are in NCHC. It wouldn't seem to make the relationships on the women's side be any different than they are today.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                    That would be BSU and MSU leaving the men's WCHA, right? It shouldn't, given that those are the only two programs that shared that conference on the men's side. UW, UM, and OSU are in BIG, and UMD and SCSU are in NCHC. It wouldn't seem to make the relationships on the women's side be any different than they are today.
                    Basically, what was once the WCHA men's conference will now be known as the CCHA, minus three teams: Alabama Huntsville, Alaska (Fairbanks) and Alaska Anchorage which will be left out on their own (as will Arizona State, but they are already Independent). The "new" CCHA will be comprised of Bemidji State, Minnesota State Mankato, Bowling Green, Ferris State, Lake Superior State, Michigan Tech and Northern Michigan.

http://www.startribune.com/ccha-will...-22/567973232/

I don't see how this shift will have any impact on the women's WCHA since only two of the teams in the new conference even have a women's team.
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Re: WCHA Conference: The 2019-20 Season

so I wonder if the NCHC will rename itself after the men's WCHA dissolves, as it most likely will
                      I have been enjoying the NCHC games that are televised over the air the last few years , it is excellent hockey, as I mentioned before I watched one of those games rather than what passes for an NHL All-Star game.
                      It would be fitting to have both of the best leagues men/women under the same banner.

Comment

Last year, Minnesota won the conference by two standings points.
                        Ohio State never did get a thank you card from Minnesota for our part in making that happen!

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                          Ohio State never did get a thank you card from Minnesota for our part in making that happen!
                          I think it had something to do with those jerseys.
                          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                            While I was disappointed at the time, Wisconsin did pick up something of a consolation prize (or two) a couple weeks later. So...
                            Last edited by robertearle; 02-19-2020, 09:44 PM.

Comment

While I was disappointed at the time, Wisconsin did pick up something of a consolation prize (or two) a couple weeks later. So...
                              No doubt!

Comment

MJ said in his presser that losing the regular season title last year seemed to propel the team onto the run that they had. I think this year's team is in need of a propelling event to get them going, but I think hoisting a trophy this weekend will do the trick.

Comment

Working...
                                X