Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Hockey 2019-2020- a big fresh start, again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Hockey 2019-2020- a big fresh start, again.

Originally posted by JoeZ View Post
    I've given up trying to figure out all the tiebreakers when it gets to be more than two teams.

At this point I am more confident playing Li'l Brother than the leprechaun. I was very disappointed a week ago dropping both games, especially with the run the team has been on since the calendar turned to 2020. Take away those two games and the record would be 9-1-2 over that span of time. Like the old saying goes - "Don't bet against a Jeff Jackson coached team this time of year." That goes back to his Lake State teams.

Then looking forward (I know, don't jinx them) the winner of Wisconsin @ Minnesota will be next. As a reminder, we were 3-1 vs. Wis. for the season, 1-1-0 in Nov, 2-0-0 in Feb. Against Minn. it was 1-1-2 for the season, 0-2-0 in Nov and 1-0-1 in Feb. Counting the shoot out win as a win (which it would be in a tournament) it would be 2-2-0 for th season and 2-0-0 for Feb.
    I'm pretty sure Wisconsin plays OSU (for the second weekend in a row). OSU is the 2nd seed, who plays 7. Minny is the 4th seed and plays ND. Beating MSU would have us either travel to OSU (2-3 seeds) or host Minny/ND (if Wisco beats OSU) the week after.

I think.

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
      I'm pretty sure Wisconsin plays OSU (for the second weekend in a row). OSU is the 2nd seed, who plays 7. Minny is the 4th seed and plays ND. Beating MSU would have us either travel to OSU (2-3 seeds) or host Minny/ND (if Wisco beats OSU) the week after.

I think.
      I'm surprised that the semifinals aren't both at the home of the regular season champion. No need to stretch it over three weeks.
      Last edited by John J. MacInnes; 03-01-2020, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
        I'm surprised that the semifinals aren't both at the home of the regular season champion. No need to stretch it over three weeks.
        The place would be empty of fans. Plus. do you know how frigging awful a drive it is to Penn State from ANYWHERE? Only on the home ice of the higher seeds will you get any attendance.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
          Long story why. But one can just quickly say that the B1G as an organization does not care about hockey, and thus the championships in Detroit and Minneapolis were not once promoted. The failure of that lead to this pretty crappy set up we now have. Had it worked, we would have one more week of regular season. But no, after a normal best of 3 weekend, we have single elimination games two weeks in a row. dumb.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
            Long story why. But one can just quickly say that the B1G as an organization does not care about hockey, and thus the championships in Detroit and Minneapolis were not once promoted. The failure of that lead to this pretty crappy set up we now have. Had it worked, we would have one more week of regular season. But no, after a normal best of 3 weekend, we have single elimination games two weeks in a row. dumb.
            The only thing that comes to mind is either they think the fans will enjoy a chance of 3 games in a weekend or simply a money grab. I'm betting it's a money grab.
            I think the reason it changes to single elimination is that the teams that make the NCAA's will be less beat up and have a better chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
              The place would be empty of fans. Plus. do you know how frigging awful a drive it is to Penn State from ANYWHERE? Only on the home ice of the higher seeds will you get any attendance.
              So if you're trying to maximize home attendance, why would you only play a single game semifinal? That seems like the worst possible option.

And knowing State College, there wouldn't be anything else happening there so people might even go (in that case).

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                The only thing that comes to mind is either they think the fans will enjoy a chance of 3 games in a weekend or simply a money grab. I'm betting it's a money grab.
                I think the reason it changes to single elimination is that the teams that make the NCAA's will be less beat up and have a better chance.
                Thing is- even the CCHA tournament sold more tickets than the home two next weekends, and that wasn't as popular as the WCHA was. The B1G could have had a huge money grab had they really promoted the championships, I thought. I even sent notes to them all complaining that there was zero promotion of either locations.

I really think it was a cop out by the B1G and official notice that they didn't give a crap about hockey, regardless of the formation thanks to PSU.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                  Thing is- even the CCHA tournament sold more tickets than the home two next weekends, and that wasn't as popular as the WCHA was. The B1G could have had a huge money grab had they really promoted the championships, I thought. I even sent notes to them all complaining that there was zero promotion of either locations.

I really think it was a cop out by the B1G and official notice that they didn't give a crap about hockey, regardless of the formation thanks to PSU.
                  I can't really disagree with you. The CCHA sure did it right with the awards show and banquet (although White Castles were the main course at the final one!) and all the events at the Ren Center as host hotel, promotions and discounts.
                  the B1G was like here it is, come if you want, we don't care.
                  I was at the Joe for the last Wings/Avs game there and the B1G title game was that evening and it was circulating around that they were going to give out free tickets to those there there that wanted them so it wouldn't be embarrassingly empty on TV. I didn't ask if it was true as I wasn't sticking around.

Comment

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                    So if you're trying to maximize home attendance, why would you only play a single game semifinal? That seems like the worst possible option.

And knowing State College, there wouldn't be anything else happening there so people might even go (in that case).
                    I hate this format. The #1 seed is put in a disadvantage by not being allowed a loss. Everyone that plays in round 1 gets a chance to lose once and play again. The semifinal should be 2 of 3 like round 1. Your best team or #1 seed hasvto be treated like the other 6.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                      I hate this format. The #1 seed is put in a disadvantage by not being allowed a loss. Everyone that plays in round 1 gets a chance to lose once and play again. The semifinal should be 2 of 3 like round 1. Your best team or #1 seed hasvto be treated like the other 6.
                      Add one more team, and we are all set on that. Even if we add two more teams, just don't let the bottom team in. It would be nice if there were 4 home series this weekend...

Keep hearing rumors, but they never get off the ground.

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                        Add one more team, and we are all set on that. Even if we add two more teams, just don't let the bottom team in. It would be nice if there were 4 home series this weekend...

Keep hearing rumors, but they never get off the ground.
                        Yea getting to 8 takes away the byecand fixes all of this.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                          While true, does it matter to win both the regular season and the tournament? Maybe to the players, but they still have a chance, they just can't lose.
                          Big picture wise, in theory, the #1 seed should be high enough in the pairwise to make the NCAA tourney. If they are at a disadvantage for the B1G tourney who cares? That just means a lower seeded team that might not have the pairwise points has a chance to win out and make the NCAA tourney.
                          Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                          wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                          7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                            While true, does it matter to win both the regular season and the tournament? Maybe to the players, but they still have a chance, they just can't lose.
                            Big picture wise, in theory, the #1 seed should be high enough in the pairwise to make the NCAA tourney. If they are at a disadvantage for the B1G tourney who cares? That just means a lower seeded team that might not have the pairwise points has a chance to win out and make the NCAA tourney.
                            Now there's a topic for a debate, should the regular season champs get the automatic conference berth or the tournament champion? Who deserves it more?
                            I actually touched on this last weekend with some of our former players and the opinion is if you do have a tournament and the winner doesn't get the automatic bid then what's your motivation to play in a conference tournament unless by winning it you go to the NCAA tournament?
                            Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 03-02-2020, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Where is bluevox?

Arenas visited:
                              7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Haha the students chanted, "where's our PA?"

Arenas visited:

Comment

Working...
                                X