Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Mass Shooting: It's Those Darn Video Games!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...e-trust-report

Great article about gun violence and offers some solutions on how to lower gun deaths. We need more of this type of research.
    Unfortunately, the NRA has lobbied hard to prevent the Governemt from performing these studies or releasing their results.

I believe some of the bans have started to sunset. More studies like this will be coming soon.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      Trump Bots all over Twitter now trying to make this seem calm and filled with diversity because there are plants on hand holding fake signs.
      Wait what? I thought only Bloomberg had paid trolls! Crazy

Comment

• Re: Another Mass Shooting: It's Those Darn Video Games!

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
        https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...e-trust-report

Great article about gun violence and offers some solutions on how to lower gun deaths. We need more of this type of research.
        You realize the Republicans explicitly prevented the CDC from researching this, right? Like the Climate Change gag order, they blinded us scientifically to protect their special interests' profits.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          You realize the Republicans explicitly prevented the CDC from researching this, right? Like the Climate Change gag order, they blinded us scientifically to protect their special interests' profits.
          This is more or less the problem we face. Instead of trying to solve the problem it turns into a left-right blame game and nothing happens.
          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
            This is more or less the problem we face. Instead of trying to solve the problem it turns into a left-right blame game and nothing happens.
            Thanks for the words of wisdom, sage drew!

Try voting for people who stand for these things rather than say golly gee we need more research

Comment

Both sides
              You could've just said this.

Comment

Thanks, Rube.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

You should be helping OJ find the killer.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                    Thanks, Rube.
                    Whatever, man. The bit is old.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                      Whatever, man. The bit is old.
                      Besides which, that's rufus' job.

Comment

No it doesnt. The blame is on the Right. Only the uninformed like you pretend both sides are part of the problem.

One side wants sensible laws and research done to fix the problems (Democrats) one side doesnt care if everyone dies and uses scare tactics to make you believe a bunch of crap which you then spout around here. (Republicans) Not the same no matter how much you want to believe it is.
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I'd really like to see a study about what I'll call "fevers" (for lack of a better term) that take over this country for periods of time that may be as short as a few years, or may run decades in length, because my personal opinion is that we are in the midst of one of those "fevers" right now, one that involves mass shootings in schools or work places, primarily.

Think about it a bit. There were a few decades in this country where train robberies were a thing. They were a frequent occurrence. When was the last time you heard of someone boarding a train, robbing it, and making their getaway?

Lynchings. How many people in this country, primarily black men, were drug out of a jail and lynched by an angry mob after being accused of a crime? When was the last time you saw that?

Did you know that sneaking into homes and murdering entire families in their beds with an axe was a thing in this country. There was a decade or two in the late 1800's and early 1900's where this was a serious problem in the country. How often do you hear about that happening today?

I grew up in the age of airplane hijackings. I think there was maybe a ten year stretch or so where we were averaging something like one hijacking a week, or some ridiculous figure. Then, as quickly as it became a thing, it no longer became a thing, and that was long before the increased airport security that followed 9/11.

We're living in the age of school shootings, and it's cousin, workplace shootings. I personally believe such events will become passe in the minds of psychopaths, and they will move on to some other fever that catches their attention.
                          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

We could always use more alien abductions

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                              I'd really like to see a study about what I'll call "fevers" (for lack of a better term) that take over this country for periods of time that may be as short as a few years, or may run decades in length, because my personal opinion is that we are in the midst of one of those "fevers" right now, one that involves mass shootings in schools or work places, primarily.

Think about it a bit. There were a few decades in this country where train robberies were a thing. They were a frequent occurrence. When was the last time you heard of someone boarding a train, robbing it, and making their getaway?

Lynchings. How many people in this country, primarily black men, were drug out of a jail and lynched by an angry mob after being accused of a crime? When was the last time you saw that?

Did you know that sneaking into homes and murdering entire families in their beds with an axe was a thing in this country. There was a decade or two in the late 1800's and early 1900's where this was a serious problem in the country. How often do you hear about that happening today?

I grew up in the age of airplane hijackings. I think there was maybe a ten year stretch or so where we were averaging something like one hijacking a week, or some ridiculous figure. Then, as quickly as it became a thing, it no longer became a thing, and that was long before the increased airport security that followed 9/11.

We're living in the age of school shootings, and it's cousin, workplace shootings. I personally believe such events will become passe in the minds of psychopaths, and they will move on to some other fever that catches their attention.
                              I hope you're right, but...

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...nes-full-data/

Years Ave # of incidents Per Year Ave # of Total Victims
                              1982 -2016 2.63 42.22
                              2009 -2016 4.63 77
                              2017 -2019* 10 329.67

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

When was the last time banks were sending their cash deposits from location to location via a locomotive? Once the tech became available, balance sheets were adjusted with "money wires" from account to account via the FRB's services.
                                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X