RPI 2019-2020: Life after Lovisa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2019-2020: Life after Lovisa

The talent (lack thereof) is entirely Vines's fault. The team is pretty much all of "his players". The problem is he doesn't recruit good players. Only reason the team was even respectable before was because he was gifted a generational goaltender. With that generational talent, they couldn't even crack a winning record. He needs to be outed; 9/18 games this season, we have been shutout. It's embarrassing.

Comment

Originally posted by sezenack View Post
      The talent (lack thereof) is entirely Vines's fault. The team is pretty much all of "his players". The problem is he doesn't recruit good players. Only reason the team was even respectable before was because he was gifted a generational goaltender. With that generational talent, they couldn't even crack a winning record. He needs to be outed; 9/18 games this season, we have been shutout. It's embarrassing.
      This is so incredibly misinformed. The first class Vines got when he was hired was all Burkie's recruits. The second class is 1/2 Burke's recruits. Question, how come you are quick on the trigger for Bryan's head when you make every excuse in the world for Dave on the Men's thread?
      "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
        This is so incredibly misinformed. The first class Vines got when he was hired was all Burkie's recruits. The second class is 1/2 Burke's recruits. Question, how come you are quick on the trigger for Bryan's head when you make every excuse in the world for Dave on the Men's thread?
        And why are you just the opposite? They both came the same year. I do agree that Vines deserves more time and the falloff from last year is due to one thing, Selander graduating. It is, however, the case that the RPI women are not performing as well as the pre-Selander teams.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Women's recruiting is entirely different then Men's. Girls come directly out of high school where men will play Jr.'s up to 3 years post high school graduation. So if you do not get kids by their junior year in HS you are behind. Vines was hired in July of his 1st year giving him no time to recruit. His 2nd yr was mostly what was left on the tree that hadn't been recruited yet. This is his 1st recruited class; he was also stuck with some recruit mistakes from the last staff and to his credit he honored the scholarships. With regard to this season he has had a ton of injuries and has not been able to field an entire roster for the last 3 or 4 weeks.
          "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by sezenack View Post
            I am not an expert, but I would guess the talent pool on the women's
            side is smaller than the men's for a variety of reasons.( fewer women's teams pre college, more recent start to women's teams, etc) That being said, the men and the women have a very similar problem: getting good hockey players to play there. Players have to want to come to RPI: to play on a team that wins a lot, because the coach is great,because the facilities are top notch, or because people want to go to school there more than other places. How many of those boxes can a good hockey players,man or woman, check off when trying to decide? Replacing Vines or Smith will accomplish what exactly if the replacement is on a similar level as Vines or Smith? I go to the women's games whenever I can. I enjoy the games and the women display passion for the game and play their best game in and game out. I agree some things like different line combinations might help but only so much. Unfortunately, it is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
              but it's hard to hire a good new coach because the team is bad
              Vines was an assistant coach for the men's team for ten years until Smith came onboard.
              There is "hard to hire" and then there is just being lazy.

Comment

Originally posted by theMarksman View Post
                Vines was an assistant coach for the men's team for ten years until Smith came onboard.

And Burke was a men's assistant under Fridgen when Bill Cahill died. What's your point?
                Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

• Originally posted by jericho View Post
                  And Burke was a men's assistant under Fridgen when Bill Cahill died. What's your point?
                  Two games against union Dartmouth and one against Brown. Do you think RPI can win one of those?

Comment

Originally posted by Reddington View Post
                    Two games against union Dartmouth and one against Brown. Do you think RPI can win one of those?
                    If they're on the ice, they have a chance.
                    Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

You're absolutely right. They didn't try. The issue is that moving forward, it will continue to be very difficult to attract talent, either on or behind the bench.
                      RPI Pep Band
                      GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                      🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                      2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                      2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
                        If they're on the ice, they have a chance.
                        On the flip side if they don't score then there is 0% chance of winning (Unless you count ties as 1/2 of a win then they will have 2 wins )
                        Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                        And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                        WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                        If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                          Because the women's team is literally winless, and have gotten worse under Vines, while the on-ice product is improving under Smith.

Comment

Ho hum 2 more shutouts, 10/19 games we have been shutout. LIU is a first year program and I'd bet money that they would beat us easily

Comment

I'm have no affiliation with RPI and am somewhat new to women's hockey outside of the national teams, but I have become fascinated with RPIs season.

From this thread, and stats it was clear that Lovisa was beyond exceptional, and the GAA this year is notable of that change.

What I cannot reconcile is the four goals against Clarkson.

That's 2x the teams historical average, 3x last year's average, 8x the average of all other games this season and amounting to over 30% of this season's total goals.

Why?
                              What was different with that game?

Comment

I'm have no affiliation with RPI and am somewhat new to women's hockey outside of the national teams, but I have become fascinated with RPIs season.

From this thread, and stats it was clear that Lovisa was beyond exceptional, and the GAA this year is notable of that change.

What I cannot reconcile is the four goals against Clarkson.

That's 2x the teams historical average, 3x last year's average, 8x the average of all other games this season and amounting to over 30% of this season's total goals.

Why?
                                What was different with that game?
                                Clarkson's starting goalie played poorly (five hole on the first goal that should have been stopped and poor puck control ie rebounds) and the defense throughout the game gave RPI too many good looks that for some reason RPI scored.
                                Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                                And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                                WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                                If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Working...
                                X