Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NFL 2019-20: We'll Just Talk About Our Fantasy Teams Again....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NFL 2019-20: We'll Just Talk About Our Fantasy Teams Again....

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
    Again...you aren't wrong. But you also are the one who keeps wanting to compare players to refs.
    The players are held accountable by the media each week. You want them compared...then the same standards should apply.
    And im sorry but this boo hoo woe is the refs thing doesn't fly with me. I'm not crushing a pee wee official here.. This is the NFL...the highest level of your profession...get it right. If not...then start adding replay to penalties.
    Again...the optics is what I'm talking about here
    ..perception is reality. And the perception this morning is the league has massive egg on its face amd deservedly so.
    The point you don't seem to grasp is that as far as officiating goes, this is literally the absolute best you can get. There literally is no one to replace the current crop of officials and get you a better product. The only way you can do this is that we just go full Video Ref and literally replay EVERY call made on the field and correct when needed (which will still not net 100% accuracy, as we've seen ). Hope you enjoy a 90 second break every 4-5 plays under this system.

You are trying to apply an impossible standard to something that you will NEVER be happy with unless your team NEVER has a single call against them. That is the problem that you aren't willing to call yourself on.
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
      The point you don't seem to grasp is that as far as officiating goes, this is literally the absolute best you can get. There literally is no one to replace the current crop of officials and get you a better product. The only way you can do this is that we just go full Video Ref and literally replay EVERY call made on the field and correct when needed (which will still not net 100% accuracy, as we've seen ). Hope you enjoy a 90 second break every 4-5 plays under this system.

You are trying to apply an impossible standard to something that you will NEVER be happy with unless your team NEVER has a single call against them. That is the problem that you aren't willing to call yourself on.
      I'm fine with replay. Get it right.
      As for calling myself on anything...this isn't about me.
      Like I said....these are their optics...right or wrong they are supposed to get it right. That's the standard...and not getting it right will get them criticized.
      Welcome to the life of a big league official.
      "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
      -Gallagher

R.I.P.
      Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
      Grandma ~ Jan 2004
      Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
      Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
        I'm fine with replay. Get it right.
        As for calling myself on anything...this isn't about me.
        Like I said....these are their optics...right or wrong they are supposed to get it right. That's the standard...and not getting it right will get them criticized.
        Welcome to the life of a big league official.
        And what about all the times that you call for their heads when they do get it right, but due to a lack of rules knowledge, mechanics knowledge, positioning, and general training, you are completely wrong? Seems like a 99%/1% scenario here. You want to jump on them for the 1% their wrong, but the just shrug off all the crap they will get, even though they are right.

No job should allow someone to make threats on another person's life, even if it is in a joking manner. (not saying you personally made any threats. I've seen quite a few on FaceBook today however)
        It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
          And what about all the times that you call for their heads when they do get it right, but due to a lack of rules knowledge, mechanics knowledge, positioning, and general training, you are completely wrong? Seems like a 99%/1% scenario here. You want to jump on them for the 1% their wrong, but the just shrug off all the crap they will get, even though they are right.

No job should allow someone to make threats on another person's life, even if it is in a joking manner. (not saying you personally made any threats. I've seen quite a few on FaceBook today however)
          Even as a Lions fan, I'm tired of the base blaming the refs for poor play. It IS the Lions we're talking about, here.
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post

Not my argument...nor will I argue it.
            I'm done here.
            "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
            -Gallagher

R.I.P.
            Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
            Grandma ~ Jan 2004
            Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
            Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              They lost to the Eagles at home on what was obviously pass interference and I don't remember anyone really talking about that call at all but yeah...the Packers get all the calls every week. Referees by nature do favor home teams, its natural to, but at the same time, they're not perfect and they deserve scrutiny but to claim the refs are rigging things is silly.
              Clay Matthews concurs.
              AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                Ban all replay until an event has ended. Not just at the stadium but TV, streaming, the works.

Make the event fully live.

I would also ban all piped in music and advertising at the stadium and just allow the natural noise of the event to be the full atmosphere.

#makesportsfunagain

Officiate the best you can and get out of the way. If somebody gets f-cked by a bad call so be it. Make the games live again.

Sweet is the lore which Nature brings;
                Our meddling intellect
                Mis-shapes the beauteous forms of things:—
                We murder to dissect.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  The only people I have mentioned this to think I am insane, but I favor banning all replay until an event has ended. Not at the stadium, not on TV, not streaming.

Make the event fully live.

I would also ban all piped in music and advertising at the stadium and just allow the natural noise of the event to be the full atmosphere.

#makesportsfunagain

Officiate the best you can and get out of the way. If somebody gets f-cked by a bad call so be it. Make the games live again.
                  That certainly is one option that isn't bad to me...the scrutiny we lay on them is unfair because we get the benefit of like 7 angles and slow motion. They're not reffing at that speed from multiple angles. I actually like this idea.
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Better would be no refs. Anything goes.
                    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                      That certainly is one option that isn't bad to me...the scrutiny we lay on them is unfair because we get the benefit of like 7 angles and slow motion. They're not reffing at that speed from multiple angles. I actually like this idea.
                      of course in the NFL, what will the broadcasters do with all the dead air time between plays if they can't show replays? NFL is quite boring if you remove that...
                      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

OK, you and I are going to make a revolution!
                        Cornell University
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

of course in the NFL, what will the broadcasters do with all the dead air time between plays if they can't show replays? NFL is quite boring if you remove that...
                          Let the ambient noise come through. For some time I have advocated we go to a one person booth with just PBP. For TV I essentially want to return to 1950s sports broadcasting. Watch baseball games from that era -- it's spare and beautiful.

None of the extra gunk is worth anything.
                          Cornell University

Comment

One thing I think the NFL could do is reevaluate the sanction that applies to each violation. I would be in favor of reducing the penalty yards associated with each call, pretty much do away with any sort of automatic first down penalty other than perhaps the most egregious types of personal fouls, etc... Just have a bunch of three yard or five yard penalties.
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                              do away with any sort of automatic first down penalty other than perhaps the most egregious types of personal fouls, etc...
                              I think this would turn 3rd and long into Antietam. It's the one thing restraining the D in that situation.

I shared this idea with my dad when I was about 10 and first learning about penalties. I asked him why instead of automatic first they didn't just give the offense a fifth down. He was still thinking it over when he died 35 years later.
                              Last edited by Kepler; 10-15-2019, 02:51 PM.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                I think this would turn 3rd and long into Antietam. It's the one thing restraining the D in that situation.
                                I disagree with that. No defense can survive if they are constantly giving the offense free shots, and that's what defensive penalties are is a free roll for the offense. If it succeeds, great. If not, march off the 3 to 5 yards and give the offense another shot.
                                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Working...
                                X