Franklin Pierce and D1 Hockey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Franklin Pierce and D1 Hockey?

I was looking at some schedules today and I noticed Franklin Pierce plays 10 games against 5 different Division 1 opponents. Sacred Heart, LIU, Maine, Dartmouth, and New Hampshire are all on their schedule. I know SHU plays down and doesn't invest in their program so they are not true D1, but when one third of your regular season games are against D1 teams, it looks to me like you are planning some type of play up situation. Only 9 games are against D3 teams and the rest are D2. Has anyone heard any rumblings of them potentially making a jump?

Re: Franklin Pierce and D1 Hockey?

Franklin Pierce is part of the new D-I/II conference applying for NCAA recognition along with Sacred Heart, LIU, St. Anselm, St. Michael's, and Post. They all agreed to follow D-I recruiting and scholarship rules and could get an autobid as soon as 2021-22.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_En...ockey_Alliance

Powers &8^]

Comment

Not only that, but those teams have all agreed (as you can see) to start scheduling full-D1 teams to their non-conf schedule
      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

I happened to look at Post yesterday - they are not scheduled to play any D1 games this upcoming season other than their conference games. So it looks like it’s a real mix.

Comment

All you need is 20 games v D1/D2 teams and you're eligible for tournament selection.

Play in a conference with 5 other D1 or D2 teams and your conference has an AQ into the National Collegiate Tournament.

I'm guessing that somewhere the tournament will expand to 9 teams with an 8/9 playin.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            All you need is 20 games v D1/D2 teams and you're eligible for tournament selection.

Play in a conference with 5 other D1 or D2 teams and your conference has an AQ into the National Collegiate Tournament.

I'm guessing that somewhere the tournament will expand to 9 teams with an 8/9 playin.
            That's what I'm thinking -- makes a lot of sense to do it that way.
            Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
            Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
            Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post

it seems like they might get the AQ for their conference before any of these teams actually become competitive enough to deserve it. Would the NCAA put any parameters around the conference's ability to get the AQ?

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                If there is going to be an AQ, then the only way to go is a play in. Eliminating an at large spot because of this would be a huge mistake for women's hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
                  it seems like they might get the AQ for their conference before any of these teams actually become competitive enough to deserve it. Would the NCAA put any parameters around the conference's ability to get the AQ?
                  MEAC in men's D1 basketball
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
                    What's the point of having AQs if you have to be good enough to "deserve it" before you can make use of one?

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                      What's the point of having AQs if you have to be good enough to "deserve it" before you can make use of one?

Powers &8^]
                      Exactly. An AQ is an AQ, whether anyone else likes it or not. There are numerous examples in many sports on all levels where sucky leagues get an AQ
                      Russell Jaslow
                      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Keith-Stone View Post
                        I was looking at some schedules today and I noticed Franklin Pierce plays 10 games against 5 different Division 1 opponents. Sacred Heart, LIU, Maine, Dartmouth, and New Hampshire are all on their schedule. I know SHU plays down and doesn't invest in their program so they are not true D1, but when one third of your regular season games are against D1 teams, it looks to me like you are planning some type of play up situation. Only 9 games are against D3 teams and the rest are D2. Has anyone heard any rumblings of them potentially making a jump?

Looking at FP , I believe they have 23 qualifying games . 4 of the 6 teams in the NEWHA will have more than the 20 game minimum to qualify for at-large consideration this year. When the conference applies for an AQ,i hope the approval will be automatic for the NCAA. An 8/9 game does make sense, but, you can be sure the NCAA will convolute it because of travel.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                          Exactly. An AQ is an AQ, whether anyone else likes it or not. There are numerous examples in many sports on all levels where sucky leagues get an AQ

Don't disagree, my point was directed at the creative contortions the NCAA has been known to go through to ensure they get what they feel is "right". I can't be the only thinking they might all of a sudden tweak the rules.

Comment

Outside of NEWHA games Post is basically playing a club schedule no D1 opponents despite the agreement. The HC is probably just trying to get wins up on his record to make up for his abuse mess.

Comment

Originally posted by Icehawk78 View Post
                              Outside of NEWHA games Post is basically playing a club schedule no D1 opponents despite the agreement. The HC is probably just trying to get wins up on his record to make up for his abuse mess.
                              His abuse mess?!?! What in the world does this mean??

Comment

Working...
                              X