Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMD ‘Dogs 2019-2020: Fish Fry at Amsoil Arena Will Make UMD A Perennial Powerhouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
    Perunovich. The clear Hobey candidate of the team so far. Losing Mikey Anderson was a painful loss but he’s filling the role well
    Agree 100%. Perunovich is playing a different game than everyone else at this level. The way he changes the speed at which the team plays is impressive.

Noah Cates has also impressed me a lot. One of the most consistent players, in my opinion. Not flashy, but skilled and gritty.

Comment

• Re: UMD ‘Dogs 2019-2020: Fish Fry at Amsoil Arena Will Make UMD A Perennial Powerhous

Originally posted by UMD622 View Post
      While getting swept by Wisconsin will never look good, I wonder if those losses will look as bad at the end of the season. Wisconsin has a lot of young talent who may just take some time adjusting to the college game. Maybe like UMD 2 yrs ago.

I think your point about UMD’s playoff experience being huge. Not saying any team or player can just turn it on when they want, but I think UMD has another gear or two and hopefully the team will get there by the end of the year.
      I worry those will be the worst losses of the year. Wisconsin is just sputtering and their goaltending continues to be an issue.

UMD's playoff experience is their best asset. Being swept at the end of the year by SCSU was the catalyst for their post-season run, just as the 2018 Frozen Faceoff was the year before. What will get them in the right mindset in the second half?
      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

• Originally posted by Biddco View Post
        I worry those will be the worst losses of the year. Wisconsin is just sputtering and their goaltending continues to be an issue.

UMD's playoff experience is their best asset. Being swept at the end of the year by SCSU was the catalyst for their post-season run, just as the 2018 Frozen Faceoff was the year before. What will get them in the right mindset in the second half?
        You may be right about the Wisconsin losses. Wisconsin does seem to be a school where quality goaltenders go to become/appear mediocre. Not sure why that is.

With that said, UMD needs to take care of business at Merrimack. Losses to Merrimack will really hurt like UND’s losses to Canisius last year.

Comment

• Re: UMD ‘Dogs 2019-2020: Fish Fry at Amsoil Arena Will Make UMD A Perennial Powerhous

Two factors for UW:

1- Our goaltending Svengali that gave us the likes of Mike Richter, Curtis Joseph, Brian Elliott, et al hasn’t been with the program for the better part of a decade.

2- Even still, the goaltending isn’t the problem, our defensive corps plays like absolute pylons under Granato.
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Welp, I was somewhat correct in predicting UMD would make a mid-season roster addition. They did...just not a defenseman as I thought:

https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sp...epth-at-center

Forward Ben Almquist, who previously committed to Bucky, is joining the team immediately from Austin (NAHL).
            tUMD season ticket holder since 1983-84.

Comment

• Originally posted by section16rowA View Post
              Welp, I was somewhat correct in predicting UMD would make a mid-season roster addition. They did...just not a defenseman as I thought:

https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sp...epth-at-center

Forward Ben Almquist, who previously committed to Bucky, is joining the team immediately from Austin (NAHL).
              Yeah, it was a little surprising. Looks like he’s been a goal scorer in the NAHL. Maybe try to spark one of the bottom two lines. Not a whole lot of scoring from that part of the lineup.

The past few years the depth at forward has been great. This year most of the scoring is coming from top two lines.

Not that we will ever find out, but I’m curious if there’s more to the story than just trying to provide some more forward depth and competition?

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                Two factors for UW:

1- Our goaltending Svengali that gave us the likes of Mike Richter, Curtis Joseph, Brian Elliott, et al hasn’t been with the program for the better part of a decade.

2- Even still, the goaltending isn’t the problem, our defensive corps plays like absolute pylons under Granato.
                Admittedly, I haven’t watched much Wisconsin hockey, so I can’t speak to what is the cause of the problem. I just see Wisconsin goalie stats and they’ve been pretty pedestrian the last few years.

Comment

• Originally posted by section16rowA View Post

Thank you as I didn’t exactly recognize his name as a commit. FWIW Bucky is notorious for having recruiting classes of like 40 guys they cherry pick off of so not a huge surprise but given his stats maybe tDogs stole one that may have actually been on the team after all.
                  I wanna go fast!

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                    Two factors for UW:

For as much hype as Granato had he has not come close to living up to expectations. It surprises me.
                    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

• Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                      For as much hype as Granato had he has not come close to living up to expectations. It surprises me.
                      He’s certainly lining up and bringing in the talent. For some reason hasn’t translated to consistent wins on the ice. Not sure if it’s player development or just not a great mix of the right types of guys.

I remember hearing an interview with Jason Herter where he indicated UMD recruited Parker Mackay because he was voted Most Competitive Player in the AJHL 2 yrs in a row. They felt he had future captain written all over him.

Comment

• Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
                        Thank you as I didn’t exactly recognize his name as a commit. FWIW Bucky is notorious for having recruiting classes of like 40 guys they cherry pick off of so not a huge surprise but given his stats maybe tDogs stole one that may have actually been on the team after all.
                        In the short term it sounds like they brought him because of his positional versatility and to provide some competition for some current players. If he adds scoring, that’s just a bonus. Eventually seems like a scorer that they’ll rely on to score goals, but not necessarily right away.

Comment

Although Merrimack is like 50th in Pairwise looking at their schedule, they’ve played some tight games (even ties) with some quality teams. Blowout losses to Wisconsin and Penn State, but other than that typically competitive games.

UMD should have their hands full with them this coming series.

Comment

Although Merrimack is like 50th in Pairwise looking at their schedule, they’ve played some tight games (even ties) with some quality teams. Blowout losses to Wisconsin and Penn State, but other than that typically competitive games.

Yup. Totally agree. My prediction for the Sunday/Monday match is for a closer one than most would imagine.

Excited to see the Team in Merrimack today/tomorrow. We'll be wearing our gear -stopping short of face paint. Go UMD!

Comment

I don't know if it was the fact it was a Sunday game or if the Merrimack players had less faith than you did, but that was a snoozer yesterday.
                              "In heaven there is no beer. NO BEER! That's why we drink it here. RIGHT HERE!"

Comment

• Originally posted by dogs2012 View Post
                                I don't know if it was the fact it was a Sunday game or if the Merrimack players had less faith than you did, but that was a snoozer yesterday.
                                I was scared to check the score yesterday we readdy need PWR. UMD game available to stream today like yesterday? Would love to watch sitting around the airport.
                                Last edited by UMD21; 12-30-2019, 06:05 PM.
                                I wanna go fast!

Comment

Working...
                                X