Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMD ‘Dogs 2019-2020: Fish Fry at Amsoil Arena Will Make UMD A Perennial Powerhouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMD ‘Dogs 2019-2020: Fish Fry at Amsoil Arena Will Make UMD A Perennial Powerhous

Now onto Merrimack at the end of month. Should give banged up guys time to heal before the second half.

What's everyone's thoughts on the first half?

I am disappointed but not too surprised given what we lost. I did think we'd be better and team with half as many losses as we have. I think winning the Penrose will be tough as UND is clearly the better team this year. However seeing how this team can do in the NCAA tournament ... they are still a threat for a threepeat.
    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

• Re: UMD ‘Dogs 2019-2020: Fish Fry at Amsoil Arena Will Make UMD A Perennial Powerhous

I thought UMD’s record would be better than it is. However, I’ve liked the team, when healthy, recently. The Wisconsin series really hurts, but maybe Wisconsin will turn it around in the 2nd half as their young guys get more experience and used to the college game. Mankato is the best team I’ve seen thus far, but I haven’t seen UND play yet. UND’s record would indicate they are right there with Mankato.
      UMD has put themselves in a position to challenge UND for the conference title. The one series with UND will likely mean a lot for Pairwise (if UMD can do well) and for conference-title purposes.
      If UMD can stay healthy, particularly with regards to their top 5 defensemen, I like our chances. Hopefully N Cates and Koepke can continue to progress like they have because they seem to be able to take over games when they want.
      Should be a fun second half and needs to start with a sweep of Merrimack.

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
        Now onto Merrimack at the end of month. Should give banged up guys time to heal before the second half.

I am disappointed but not too surprised given what we lost. I did think we'd be better and team with half as many losses as we have. I think winning the Penrose will be tough as UND is clearly the better team this year. However seeing how this team can do in the NCAA tournament ... they are still a threat for a threepeat.
        I think for myself, I didn't think we lost much so I am surprised at how slow the start has been. Sure, we lost Tufte and Mackay and that hurts, but most teams in the league lost just as much if not more in the offseason to early departures and graduations.

I've been disappointed in some of our key players, I think they've taken a step back this year which has really hurt us. Richards having 6 points in 16 games is...a tough one to swallow. We also haven't been getting the production on our 3rd and 4th lines like we have in years past, even though the key players have remained for the most part the same. We need Jade Miller/Jesse Jacques/Tanner Laderoute/etc. to start producing...at least a little. Those 3 players have 9 points combined in 44 games played. You're not going to score enough to win in this league when so many players are struggling to score points like they are.

I'm hoping a switch will flip at some point, because we know these guys are capable of it. Maybe a rough first half will light a fire under them. It starts at Merrimack, that's a needed 2 wins.
        "In heaven there is no beer. NO BEER! That's why we drink it here. RIGHT HERE!"

Comment

Originally posted by section16rowA View Post
          dogs2012 says alot of truth in his post.

Interview video with Perunovich posted on DNT in regards to the Mankato sweep: "It really puts it into perspective....if we thought we were good enough, clearly we're not. We have alot of work to do and we're willing to put in that work."
          Originally posted by dogs2012 View Post
          I think for myself, I didn't think we lost much so I am surprised at how slow the start has been. Sure, we lost Tufte and Mackay and that hurts, but most teams in the league lost just as much if not more in the offseason to early departures and graduations.

I've been disappointed in some of our key players, I think they've taken a step back this year which has really hurt us. Richards having 6 points in 16 games is...a tough one to swallow. We also haven't been getting the production on our 3rd and 4th lines like we have in years past, even though the key players have remained for the most part the same. We need Jade Miller/Jesse Jacques/Tanner Laderoute/etc. to start producing...at least a little. Those 3 players have 9 points combined in 44 games played. You're not going to score enough to win in this league when so many players are struggling to score points like they are.

I'm hoping a switch will flip at some point, because we know these guys are capable of it. Maybe a rough first half will light a fire under them. It starts at Merrimack, that's a needed 2 wins.
          Oh excellent point about Richards. I didn't know he only has 6 points so far. He's gotta pick it up. We all know this team is scoring by committee this year and hopefully more guys step up. Koepke has been a surprise from me, I want to see more out of Quinn Olson as well.

Hopefully the next two weeks allow them to heal up.
          tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

• Originally posted by dogs2012 View Post

I think you are missing the huge loss of Mikey Anderson. I thought with what we had returning on D that his loss wouldn’t be as noticeable. But, his loss combined with Lellig going down has been a big difference. Throw in injuries to Samberg and Wolff and our D has looked much different from last year at times, I also think Mikey Anderson covered up some warts in Samberg’s game.

I agree with you on Richards, but I think recently that line is starting to gel. I think Laderoute is a nice replacement for Mackay. The numbers are what they are, but I’m surprised Richards and Laderoute haven’t scored more thus far.

Our bottom 2 lines haven’t produced much, but I’ve been impressed with Olson, Loheit and to a lesser degree, Purricelli.

They’ve certainly got room to grow and I think most of the guys in the locker room would tell you they are disappointed with their record so far, but it’s nice to be disappointed and still 3 games over .500 and 6-1-1 in league play.

Comment

Originally posted by UMD622 View Post
              I think you are missing the huge loss of Mikey Anderson. I thought with what we had returning on D that his loss wouldn’t be as noticeable. But, his loss combined with Lellig going down has been a big difference. Throw in injuries to Samberg and Wolff and our D has looked much different from last year at times, I also think Mikey Anderson covered up some warts in Samberg’s game.

I agree with you on Richards, but I think recently that line is starting to gel. I think Laderoute is a nice replacement for Mackay. The numbers are what they are, but I’m surprised Richards and Laderoute haven’t scored more thus far.

Our bottom 2 lines haven’t produced much, but I’ve been impressed with Olson, Loheit and to a lesser degree, Purricelli.

They’ve certainly got room to grow and I think most of the guys in the locker room would tell you they are disappointed with their record so far, but it’s nice to be disappointed and still 3 games over .500 and 6-1-1 in league play.
              I knew after posting this somebody would point out Mikey's absence. You're absolutely right, his loss has hit us hard and with Lellig out there is a big drop off and it shows. Fortunately we do still have a solid D-Core overall so I think they can get things back on track by leaning into each other as the year goes on.

Olson really impressed me to start, he's been a little slow as of late but agreed. Our freshman have looked like solid players.

Your last point is most important I think. I remember a time when a record like the one we have now would have been a pipe dream. Really shows how far the program has come and how expectations have changed.
              "In heaven there is no beer. NO BEER! That's why we drink it here. RIGHT HERE!"

Comment

• Originally posted by dogs2012 View Post
                I knew after posting this somebody would point out Mikey's absence. You're absolutely right, his loss has hit us hard and with Lellig out there is a big drop off and it shows. Fortunately we do still have a solid D-Core overall so I think they can get things back on track by leaning into each other as the year goes on.

Olson really impressed me to start, he's been a little slow as of late but agreed. Our freshman have looked like solid players.

Your last point is most important I think. I remember a time when a record like the one we have now would have been a pipe dream. Really shows how far the program has come and how expectations have changed.
                I also do think, just human nature, it’s hard to sustain the drive that’s won them back-to back national championships. Any returning member has already had a successful college career, let alone the juniors and seniors winning 2 championships and the seniors having gone to 3 national championship games.
                You’d like to think that each member of the team can look at each season separately and forget about the last, but it’s hard not to expect some level of complacency after winning back-to-back championships. So, whether it’s happened or not, it’s certainly understandable if it has.

Comment

Grapevine says UMD coaches are looking to bring in defenseman right now. Not totally unheard of adding player mid-year. Heisenberg's recruit list shows defensemen coming in next year as Will Francis, Brett Oberle and possibly Darian Gotz, another Hermantown kid. Not sure what other options are.
                  tUMD season ticket holder since 1983-84.

Comment

Originally posted by section16rowA View Post
                    Grapevine says UMD coaches are looking to bring in defenseman right now. Not totally unheard of adding player mid-year. Heisenberg's recruit list shows defensemen coming in next year as Will Francis, Brett Oberle and possibly Darian Gotz, another Hermantown kid. Not sure what other options are.
                    Interesting...Lellig's injury has them wanting another defensemen. Other options could be someone not coming in already who is in juniors and old. No idea who that would be but that's my best guess.
                    tUMD Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by dogs2012 View Post
                      Boy isn't that true?

What is gonna be interesting is next year. Will be a rebuild kinda like what SCSU is doing this year.
                      tUMD Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by section16rowA View Post
                        The only defenseman who signed in early signing period is Kelley from NTDP. At this point, they’ll only need to replace Wolff and Hilderman, but I would guess that Samberg and Perunovich would both be gone too. So, 4 defensemen to replace total.

After Kelley, I would think Francis would be next in line. Total guess though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Biddco View Post

Getting swept by Wisconsin was a big disappointment and is killing us in the pairwise yet we still sit in position for the playoffs despite the underwhelming performance and injuries. With all the injuries—at least in that aspect the only direction we can go is hopefully better, but my concern is that chemistry wont be the same come the spring.
                          As has been pointed out, the hunger to win required for a threepeat is also going to be a big question. No team comes even close in playoff experience which could be very beneficial, but could go against us that easily in complacency.
                          To me, the only teams that UMD has had mental road blocks in beating is Denver and UND (years ago)—if we can avoid them that helps. But I like how we did against Denver. UND is going to be tough and Mankato thoroughly beat us but at least they have that NCAA curse they need to overcome.
                          I wanna go fast!

Comment

• Re: UMD ‘Dogs ‘19-‘20: The Fish Fry at Amsoil Arena Will Make UMD A Perennial Powerho

who's yout team MVP so far in this early season? Any candidates for NHL contracts (undrafted free agents)?

Comment

• Originally posted by Johnny Danger View Post
                              who's yout team MVP so far in this early season? Any candidates for NHL contracts (undrafted free agents)?
                              Perunovich. The clear Hobey candidate of the team so far. Losing Mikey Anderson was a painful loss but he’s filling the role well
                              I wanna go fast!

Comment

• Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
                                Getting swept by Wisconsin was a big disappointment and is killing us in the pairwise yet we still sit in position for the playoffs despite the underwhelming performance and injuries. With all the injuries—at least in that aspect the only direction we can go is hopefully better, but my concern is that chemistry wont be the same come the spring.
                                As has been pointed out, the hunger to win required for a threepeat is also going to be a big question. No team comes even close in playoff experience which could be very beneficial, but could go against us that easily in complacency.
                                To me, the only teams that UMD has had mental road blocks in beating is Denver and UND (years ago)—if we can avoid them that helps. But I like how we did against Denver. UND is going to be tough and Mankato thoroughly beat us but at least they have that NCAA curse they need to overcome.
                                While getting swept by Wisconsin will never look good, I wonder if those losses will look as bad at the end of the season. Wisconsin has a lot of young talent who may just take some time adjusting to the college game. Maybe like UMD 2 yrs ago.

I think your point about UMD’s playoff experience being huge. Not saying any team or player can just turn it on when they want, but I think UMD has another gear or two and hopefully the team will get there by the end of the year.

Comment

Working...
                                X