Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMD ‘Dogs 2019-2020: Fish Fry at Amsoil Arena Will Make UMD A Perennial Powerhouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UMD ‘Dogs ‘19-‘20: The Fish Fry at Amsoil Arena Will Make UMD A Perennial Powerho

UMD is back to back preseason and postseason champions.

If I was a betting man I'd say UMD wins their first regular season since 1993, make the Frozen Four but do not win their 3rd in a row. Nobody wins three in a row...only Michigan did in an era where they offered scholarships when most college programs didn't.
    Last edited by Biddco; 09-18-2019, 06:20 PM.
    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Re: UMD ‘Dogs ‘19-‘20: The Fish Fry at Amsoil Arena Will Make UMD A Perennial Powerho

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
      UMD is back to back preseason and postseason champions.

If I was a betting man I'd say UMD wins their first regular season since 1993, make the Frozen Four but do not win their 3rd in a row. Nobody wins three in a row...only Michigan did in an era where they offered scholarships when most college programs didn't.
      It'll be tough to get the 3-peat, but it's hard to argue that this year is likely their best team on paper, of the 3 teams. Losing Mikey Anderson is a huge loss on defense, but the defense and goaltending they return is absurd. And the offense returns 2 preseason 1st team all-conference forwards.

While you have to have a lot of things go right to win back-to-back-to-back titles, Sandelin-coached teams just seem to come to play in the postseason. Plus, they are already fortunate to return all of the players they return.

Comment

Re: UMD ‘Dogs 2019-2020: Fish Fry at Amsoil Arena Will Make UMD A Perennial Powerhous

Originally posted by section16rowA View Post
        https://kdal610.com/blogs/ciskie-blo...c-predictions/

Ciskie picking UMD to finish first analogous to kid wishing for a pony for Christmas.

My picks: Denver, UND, SCSU, UMD, Western, CC, Omaha, Miami.
        I'm not saying UMD won't finish 4th, but if they do, I feel like there will be 3 or 4 pts separating the top 4 teams.

Comment

Re: UMD ‘Dogs 2019-2020: Fish Fry at Amsoil Arena Will Make UMD A Perennial Powerhous

As UMD622 posted: "Sandelin-coached teams just seem to come to play in the postseason."

tUMD will take Nattys over Penrose Cup titles. Sandelin is 21-6 in NCAA tourney games...whoa!
          tUMD season ticket holder since 1983-84.

Comment

Not a whole lotta respect for the Huskies here. Two years ago picked to finish 4th (and won), last year picked to finish 3rd (and won by a LOT), this year picked to finish 5th. I think they are still better than both UND and WMU on paper. Denver and UMD are the two best teams right now. UMD is a more upper-classed team while Denver is younger but I didn't think the Pioneers would make it to the Frozen Four last year either.

Comment

https://kdal610.com/blogs/ciskie-blo...c-predictions/

Ciskie picking UMD to finish first analogous to kid wishing for a pony for Christmas.

My picks: Denver, UND, SCSU, UMD, Western, CC, Omaha, Miami.
              I feel like this is sandbagging a bit. UMD will be the #1 team heading into the season, and rightfully so. They should be the odds on favorite to win the title again this year. Not saying it will happen, but the only thing we have to go off of at this point in the season is paper, and paper says UMD is going to be VERY good this year.

My picks: UMD, Denver, SCSU, Western, UND/CC, UND/CC, Omaha, Miami

I could see SCSU finishing ahead of Denver but I think it's unlikely. I could also see Denver finishing ahead of UMD.
              "In heaven there is no beer. NO BEER! That's why we drink it here. RIGHT HERE!"

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowerConference View Post
                Not a whole lotta respect for the Huskies here. Two years ago picked to finish 4th (and won), last year picked to finish 3rd (and won by a LOT), this year picked to finish 5th. I think they are still better than both UND and WMU on paper. Denver and UMD are the two best teams right now. UMD is a more upper-classed team while Denver is younger but I didn't think the Pioneers would make it to the Frozen Four last year either.
                It just feels like they don't have as much coming back and I don't know much about their incoming recruiting class to know how well they will do. I don't know if they're better than UND or WMU on paper but my inclination is they are not. Feels like they are rebuilding this year.
                tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Coming to town for the banner raising series I’m so blazingly excited. The boys are back in town! If anything comes up with work I would legit quit before missing this!
                  I wanna go fast!

Comment

Not sandbagging, I just think the NCHC is tough and it always takes around 70% of the regular season schedule for UMD to start clicking on all cylinders. By the time the NCAA tourney comes around, UMD starts hitting their stride. Who really cares about regular season titles? If the Twins don't get past the first round of the playoffs, that AL Central title is a booby prize.

Comment

Not sandbagging, I just think the NCHC is tough and it always takes around 70% of the regular season schedule for UMD to start clicking on all cylinders. By the time the NCAA tourney comes around, UMD starts hitting their stride. Who really cares about regular season titles? If the Twins don't get past the first round of the playoffs, that AL Central title is a booby prize.
                      I'm not trying to bash on you, but that sounds like a Minnesota sports fan if I've ever heard one. 1 team out of all of them wins the entire thing. If you can't enjoy winning things like an AL Central title, you probably shouldn't be watching sports. I don't know how you'll enjoy anything sans the very select few years your team wins it. You gotta enjoy the ride otherwise you're wasting your time.

I want that regular season title, and I'm sure Sandelin does too. It's almost a more indicative award of greatness than winning the National Championship. To win the championship, you have to be one of 16 teams and then get hot at the right time. To win the regular season title, you have to be a solid team for the entirety of the season.

I'm not saying the National Championships aren't nice, they are. But if the regular season doesn't matter, why do we even play it? Just have one big tournament to determine a champion.

Comment

Gardy put up 6 AL Central championship banners and then proceeded to post an overall post season record of 6-21. FWIW, that's the inverse of Sandelin's NCAA record. Still have my 2010 AL Central Champs T-shirt, but its on the chore attire rotation.

Enjoying the journey is fine and yes you have the whole regular season to earn your way into the playoffs. But the playoffs are what really matters.

And don't worry about bashing me, I officiate several high school and adult recreational sports, so heard it all. And then some.

Comment

Gardy put up 6 AL Central championship banners and then proceeded to post an overall post season record of 6-21. FWIW, that's the inverse of Sandelin's NCAA record. Still have my 2010 AL Central Champs T-shirt, but its on the chore attire rotation.

Enjoying the journey is fine and yes you have the whole regular season to earn your way into the playoffs. But the playoffs are what really matters.

And don't worry about bashing me, I officiate several high school and adult recreational sports, so heard it all. And then some.
                          You're entitled to that opinion and that's fine. But for me, it's one of the things I hate most about American sports. All we care about is winning the 'ship. We don't care how we win, why we win, or where we win. We discredit quarterbacks like Dan Marino, basketball players like Charles Barkley, etc. because they don't have a ring.

Personally, I think we do that because it's easier mentally to process. Makes things more black and white. But, just like with many things in life, sports are gray. A lot of variables and factors come into play when discussing successes. So I'm a fan of the process, who had the best recruiting class, who outperformed their expected potential, etc. A Championship trophy at the end of a year is just a declaration that all those successes (and failures) you had during the year panned out in your favor. Other teams may have done just as much to be successful, but again, only one team can win.

Comment

Originally posted by dogs2012 View Post
                            You're entitled to that opinion and that's fine. But for me, it's one of the things I hate most about American sports. All we care about is winning the 'ship. We don't care how we win, why we win, or where we win. We discredit quarterbacks like Dan Marino, basketball players like Charles Barkley, etc. because they don't have a ring.

Personally, I think we do that because it's easier mentally to process. Makes things more black and white. But, just like with many things in life, sports are gray. A lot of variables and factors come into play when discussing successes. So I'm a fan of the process, who had the best recruiting class, who outperformed their expected potential, etc. A Championship trophy at the end of a year is just a declaration that all those successes (and failures) you had during the year panned out in your favor. Other teams may have done just as much to be successful, but again, only one team can win.
                            Here. Here. Why bother watching all of the games along the way? Why not just watch the finals? Better yet, watch the finals only if your team is in them? Because, I like to watch hockey. I like to watch the game. It has so many variables and potential to surprise us. A closely fought game is great to watch. A closely fought game for the championship is more fun because of the greater stress that it provides. I enjoy the journey. One game at a time.
                            Last edited by woodenskates; 09-29-2019, 10:33 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Watch UMD win the Penrose this year but not the national championship.

No team has been to four straight national championship games. UMD will try for that. With Shepard and the defense I think it can happen. Just under two weeks people!

Very few have made it to four straight Frozen Fours as well.
                              Last edited by Biddco; 09-29-2019, 07:31 PM.
                              tUMD Hockey

Comment

The term Frozen Four was first used in 1999. Prior to that, it was the Final Four. Michigan made 10 straight Final Fours 1948-57. Since 1999, only one team has made 4 straight Frozen Fours, North Dakota 2005-08. The Fawks were runners up in 2005 and then recorded a three peat of fourth place finishes, 2006-2008, referred to by most Siouxper fans as the Hakstol Curse.

http://collegehockeyinc.com/frozen-four.php

Comment

Working...
                                X