Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMD ‘Dogs 2019-2020: Fish Fry at Amsoil Arena Will Make UMD A Perennial Powerhouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMD ‘Dogs 2019-2020: Fish Fry at Amsoil Arena Will Make UMD A Perennial Powerhous

Originally posted by dogs2012 View Post
    I could be wrong, but the team seems generally disinterested. If you recorded the game at all, re-watch the first 5-8 minutes of the Saturday game. If UMD plays the way they did to start that game, we're easily a #1 seed in the tourney and as tough a team as there is this year. Puck movement, winning every battle, and gritty in the corners. But for some reason the team just falls out of it and goes into this cycle of going through the motions. It's really starting to get frustrating to watch. I'm hoping it's something isolated and not a true reflection of the attitude of the team. Previous success doesn't guarantee future success.
    I don't know if they are just disinterested but perhaps they could be less motivated as it is the regular season. OR did UMD just have a tough weekend against an improving SCSU team that has a former coach at the helm (they're 5-2 against UMD since Larson took the job).

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    As difficult as it is to win one title, and even more difficult to win two titles in a row, I think it's exponentially more difficult to win the third. If you look back at the last two teams that had a chance to do so, you'll see that.

The 2003-04 Minnesota team in particular. They were coming off two in a row, with the 2nd championship team even more dominant than their first. They had almost everyone back. There was talk about them going through the season with hardly a loss.

Then they started something like 2-7-1 and never really developed into that dominant team. Starting in late January they went on a couple of winning streaks with games at home, but still suffered the occasional letdown on the road. Once the playoffs started, you could see their interest pick up again, and they rolled through the final five and the first round of the regionals before losing to you guys and Junior Lessard in the regional finals. You could tell that their interest had picked up, but they weren't quite able to "turn it on" and get back to that championship level late in the season.

It'll be interesting to see how UMD does once tournament time rolls around this year.
    Well said. I am very interested to see how they do once the tournament rolls around. They have found a way to flip that switch, in 2018 it was that they shouldn't be there and it was house money. Last year it was people didn't believe they could go back to back and had been swept by SCSU.
    Last edited by Biddco; 01-20-2020, 12:52 PM.
    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

• [QUOTE=Biddco;6890456]I don't know if they are just disinterested but perhaps they could be less motivated as it is the regular season. OR did UMD just have a tough weekend against an improving SCSU team that has a former coach at the helm (they're 5-2 against UMD since Larson took the job).

As I watched both nights, particularly Friday night, I did wonder if UMD really didn’t play poorly, but rather Larson had the perfect game plan against them and his team executed it perfectly.

I don’t know if I’ve seen a team all season long make the Cates/Cates/Swaney line look so pedestrian. They are just extremely consistent and I thought they were kept incredibly in check all weekend.

Comment

• ]UMD/UND series will be interesting as I don’t think either team is playing as good as they can be. UND’s defense and goaltending has been off since coming back from Christmas break. It would be pretty hard to be successful against UMD if UND spots the Bulldogs 2 goals to start each game like they did against Miami.

Should be a great series this coming weekend. I liked UMD’s game heading into the St Cloud weekend, but now not sure where they’re at. Hopefully just an off weekend that they can immediately put behind them.

UND seems really good this year, without having seen them play. I thought their defense would be great, similar to UMD’s. The surprise to me is the scoring, which they’re doing a lot of.

Comment

• Re: UMD ‘Dogs 2019-2020: Fish Fry at Amsoil Arena Will Make UMD A Perennial Powerhous

We needed that. Not just pairwise, but for future confidence. At least if we remain in dangerous pairwise position it’s not unattainable to win NCHC tourney autobid.
          My buddy ran into Isaac Reichmuth last night too
          I wanna go fast!

Comment

Would have been nice if UMD could have found a way to sweep and I thought when Perunovich scored to make it 2-1 with 12 minutes left in the game on Saturday....but the puck bounced the Fawks way, particularly on the game winner.

UMD really needs some points out in Denver next weekend or they will be on the bubble for the NCAAs...

5 league series left for all NCHC teams: for UMD it 3 on road in Denver, Western and CC; two at home vs. Omaha and St. Cloud. Currently sitting at 12 in the PWR means any slips could be watching in late March.
            tUMD season ticket holder since 1983-84.

Comment

Originally posted by section16rowA View Post
              Would have been nice if UMD could have found a way to sweep and I thought when Perunovich scored to make it 2-1 with 12 minutes left in the game on Saturday....but the puck bounced the Fawks way, particularly on the game winner.

UMD really needs some points out in Denver next weekend or they will be on the bubble for the NCAAs...

5 league series left for all NCHC teams: for UMD it 3 on road in Denver, Western and CC; two at home vs. Omaha and St. Cloud. Currently sitting at 12 in the PWR means any slips could be watching in late March.
              Yep.

I am confident they can split in Denver and do enough to make the NCAA tournament but they have some work to do the rest of the season.
              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

• Originally posted by section16rowA View Post

Hopefully Dogs can split out in Denver which would give them season win over Denver.

The Hawks pulled a UMD on UMD Saturday night, coming back in the 3rd period. Pains me to say it, but the Hawks looked good on Saturday night from the part of the game I saw. They play a hard, fast game similar to UMD. Although some bounces had to go Hawks’ way for them to get 3rd goal, they were taking it to UMD and deserved to win. Hopefully those aren’t the only 2 games against UND this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                  Yep.

I am confident they can split in Denver and do enough to make the NCAA tournament but they have some work to do the rest of the season.
                  Looks like 6 wins or more the rest of the year and UMD should be in good position for NCAA tournament.

I’m a little concerned after watching the cheap shots UND was taking at Perunovich on Friday night, that more teams will do similar things trying to get him into taking a 5 and then the extra game that comes if he takes another 5.

With essentially 5 regular defensemen and then getting spot duty for a Hilderman and Rosenbaum when they can, losing another defenseman for a game is a huge loss. Especially when that lost defenseman is an All-American.

Comment

The real punch to the gut is we split with the #1 pairwise team and remain unchanged on the bubble at 12th despite all the nearby teams taking at least 1 if not sweeping losses to lesser teams.
                    Maybe this is the year we predict that the NCAA champion comes from a conference autobid
                    I wanna go fast!

Comment

Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
                      The real punch to the gut is we split with the #1 pairwise team and remain unchanged on the bubble at 12th despite all the nearby teams taking at least 1 if not sweeping losses to lesser teams.
                      Maybe this is the year we predict that the NCAA champion comes from a conference autobid
                      It probably has to do with RPI. RPI is a huge factor in the PWR, and you guys are only .005 behind the team in 7th in the PWR right now, Massachusetts, while you're the same .005 ahead of the team immediately behind you in 13th, Northeastern. Probably a lot more upward mobility chances for Duluth right now than downward.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

That’s some Bulldog hockey! What winning streak?
                        Always crazy how many losses UMD racks up in the season despite being one of the best teams in the NCAA. It’s like Sandy treats the regular season like exhibition games only to practice fundamentals for the playoffs.
                        Last edited by UMD21; 02-01-2020, 11:49 PM.
                        I wanna go fast!

Comment

What a great weekend, it was fun to see it. Saturday was the best I've seen them play all year. I hoped they would go 2-2 against UND and DU and they went 3-1. They have basically assured a safe NCAA spot and have me feeling better about the rest of the year. Now let's hope they sweep UNO and play well on the road the last two weekends of Feb.

Let's hope they have figured it.
                          tUMD Hockey

Comment

Now that we’re safely in the tournament and have a legitimate shot at a 3-peat, if the team were to accomplish that feat I would think it’s safe to call the Friday game against UND as the turning point of the season. We know UMD has only lost like twice in 40 games after scoring first, but coming back from a 2 goal defecit to a top ranked North Dakota and pounding out a win adds something else to the team’s confidence
                            Last edited by UMD21; 02-13-2020, 10:27 AM.
                            I wanna go fast!

Comment

Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
                              Now that we’re safely in the tournament and have a legitimate shot at a 3-peat, if the team were to accomplish that feat I would think it’s safe to call the Friday game against UND as the turning point of the season. We know UMD has only lost like twice in 40 games after scoring first, but coming back from a 2 goal defecit to a top ranked North Dakota and pounding out a win adds something else to the team’s confidence
                              Agreed. Now if only they held on Saturday against UND.

Just gonna enjoy the rest of the season. What a treat.
                              tUMD Hockey

Comment

Big test this weekend against WMU. They've played so well the last 10 or so games and I feel like they always play well against UMD. Tonight's game is on CBS-SN. Go Dogs!
                                "In heaven there is no beer. NO BEER! That's why we drink it here. RIGHT HERE!"

Comment

Working...
                                X