Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The States: North Dakota? Come On, Ohio Is The Worst State Ever.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The States: North Dakota? Come On, Ohio Is The Worst State Ever.

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    Only 12? RIGGED!!!
    I know. There are young people who have never drank everclear or barfed on the couch or out of a moving car. Right here in Wisconsin.

I blame it on weed.

They're not hanging this one on the Boomers.
    Last edited by burd; 12-08-2019, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Pretty much all are college towns in the Midwest, no?

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
        Pretty much all are college towns in the Midwest, no?
        I wouldn't quite call the Wisconsin ones not named Madison or Milwaukee as college towns. A few are minor schools in the UW system, others just have technical schools if that.
        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
          I wouldn't quite call the Wisconsin ones not named Madison or Milwaukee as college towns. A few are minor schools in the UW system, others just have technical schools if that.
          What's considered a minor school in the UW system? Sharing the western border with that state, I know a number of people who attended UW La Crosse.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            What's considered a minor school in the UW system? Sharing the western border with that state, I know a number of people who attended UW La Crosse.
            I don't know quite how to word it correctly, as the degrees count the same, but I've always thought of UW Madison as *the* UW school, like Tier 1, and then all the rest are under it, tier 2.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
              I don't know quite how to word it correctly, as the degrees count the same, but I've always thought of UW Madison as *the* UW school, like Tier 1, and then all the rest are under it, tier 2.
              Right, but they're also usually the biggest economic driver in town for those cities, much like SCSU was for St. Cloud when I was there. That would make them college towns, yes?
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

I always thought the point of the UW-Podunk system was to drive kids who couldn't make the cut into the flagship campus (or couldn't afford to live away from home all 4 years) to attend the D3 schools for a year or two, then transfer to Maddy if they made the grade.

Comment

All I know is that Eau Claire has a fantastic jazz program, as surprising as it may be.
                  the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                    All I know is that Eau Claire has a fantastic jazz program, as surprising as it may be.
                    I'm sure they all have their own little niche, just like the directional Michigan schools. To survive as a smaller school these days, you pretty much have to.

Tech produces engineers and computer guys. Central produces teachers and journalists. Northern produces nurses (and more teachers). Western produces pilots. Wayne produces the second-tier doctors who got wait-listed Michigan.

I have no idea what Eastern is supposed to be good at.

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
                      They’re all pretty sizable schools though. Looks like most are 8-10k each. That’s a lot for D3 and on par with most of Michigan’s D2 schools. For comparison, all of Michigan’s D3 schools (they are private, however) are all around 1-4K.
                      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        I'm sure they all have their own little niche, just like the directional Michigan schools. To survive as a smaller school these days, you pretty much have to.

Tech produces engineers and computer guys. Central produces teachers and journalists. Northern produces nurses (and more teachers). Western produces pilots. Wayne produces the second-tier doctors who got wait-listed Michigan.

So true. UND produces intelligent, sophisticated, sensitive, well rounded and good looking (yet not arrogant!) graduates in all areas of study. Not surprisingly, it accepts few Minnesotans.

BTW, LaCrosse is much more a college town than Milwaukee is, IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                          They’re all pretty sizable schools though. Looks like most are 8-10k each. That’s a lot for D3 and on par with most of Michigan’s D2 schools. For comparison, all of Michigan’s D3 schools (they are private, however) are all around 1-4K.
                          Welp, I was gravely mistaken. I hadn't looked up enrollment numbers and mistakenly though they were all much smaller than that. I, like Fade, thought it was a stepping stone to the big school, or a way to focus without the big campus distraction at their specializiations. I knew two Illinois kids interning at IDOT that were getting engineering degrees from UW Whitewater.

Time to change my perception of that.

Also, I assumed MKE had a sizable college town component because of UW-MKE, Marquette U, and MSOE.

And all Appleton has is Fox Valley Technical School and Lawrence University. Neither are big enough to make Appleton a "college town."

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

I know two people who went to EMU who weren’t there to play sports. One was a teacher who I’m fairly sure went their ironically given all the other stories she shared. The other was a guy who took about ten years with a combination of schools and credits to get an undergrad degree. Not that there’s anything with that, everyone has their own path, but I just can’t think of anyone who made EMU their first choice out of high school.
                            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                              So true. UND produces intelligent, sophisticated, sensitive, well rounded and good looking (yet not arrogant!) graduates in all areas of study. Not surprisingly, it accepts few Minnesotans.

Crystal Meth is a helluva drug...

There are less teeth per person on the UND campus than there are trees in NoDak...but they are very good at peeing in elevators
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                                Three of my high school friends couldn't get into SCSU. UND accepted all of them without even a sniff at the waitlist, if that school even has such a thing. Two went to school there while the third slipped even further down the list and went to Augsburg College.

Comment

Working...
                                X