Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The States: North Dakota? Come On, Ohio Is The Worst State Ever.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The States: North Dakota? Come On, Ohio Is The Worst State Ever.

Texas. There can be only one.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      How come there is no "Wisconsin State"? Sorry for the dumb coastie question.

My understanding is that when we were creating the university system we started with agriculture, mining, and engineering schools which became State U. and "normal" (i.e., teacher) colleges that became U. State. Hence why State U. tends to be higher academically than U. State.

So, what happened in Wisconsin?
      I don't think the naming convention was required, more of a tradition used by the various states. As it stands, every single state-run university is officially known as "U of Wisconsin - [City Name]". Meanwhile, MN has three or four U of MN campuses around the state, which are all run by a single governing group known as the board of regents, and then all of the lesser schools, like St. Cloud, Bemidji, Mankato, Moorhead, known as either MN State [city name] or [city name] State University, and then the various community and tech/trade schools, which are run by MN State Colleges and Universities.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

But seriously. I don’t think there is such a pattern with State U vs. U State. Ohio State >> Ohio. Penn >> Penn State. Michigan >> MSU. Minnesota >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mankato, SCSU

I think it just works out that way sometimes.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          But seriously. I don’t think there is such a pattern with State U vs. U State. Ohio State >> Ohio
          Is it? I thought Ohio University was a small liberal arts school? That's probably far more selective than a B1G football factory.

Penn >> Penn State
          Even though this supports my thesis I DQ it. Penn doesn't fit into the land grant model. Generally speaking the northeast is DQed because of all the private schools which screw everything up. In general the northeast didn't follow the same naming rules because the legacy schools stole all the good names (e.g., New York University).

Michigan >> MSU. Minnesota >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mankato, SCSU

I think it just works out that way sometimes.
          Off the top of my head I can't think of a case where U State and State U were created by the land grant system and U State is the better school.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Is it? I thought Ohio University was a small liberal arts school? That's probably far more selective than a B1G football factory.

Even though this supports my thesis I DQ it. Penn doesn't fit into the land grant model. Generally speaking the northeast is DQed because of all the private schools which screw everything up. In general the northeast didn't follow the same naming rules because the legacy schools stole all the good names (e.g., New York University).

Off the top of my head I can't think of a case where U State and State U were created by the land grant system and U State is the better school.
            Nope. OSU is a powerhouse in research. Barely behind Minnesota, Yale, and Rutgers.

All of the Big Ten schools are mega research schools. I think only Nebraska is outside the top thirty or forty. And only because they don’t include their world-class medical system.

For your last paragraph, I’m thinking Michigan and OSU break that up, in different directions.
            Last edited by dxmnkd316; 10-02-2019, 03:04 PM.
            Code:
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Nope. OSU is a powerhouse in research. Barely beyond Minnesota, Yale, and Rutgers.

All of the Big Ten schools are mega research schools.
              Yes, they get massive grants because they're in the University Industrial Complex. Think about where I'm from, I know all about that.

You know who else gets massive research grants? Florida. Louisiana. You know... joke schools. So academic integrity does not follow from being on the federal gravy train.

There are great state schools: North Carolina, Cal, UCLA, UT-Austin. There are schools that are very very good though not quite as good as they think they are: Michigan, Wisconsin, Penn State, Washington.

And then there are a lot of schools which are kinda sketchy.

Obviously you can find a handful of genius students and genius professors at any school. The second best Ag program in the country is Texas A&M and the third is K State. For that matter, once you get into grad schools it's impossible to generalize about a school's departments -- I'll bet every B1G's math grad department is preferable to Cornell's. For the longest time, the best Medieval History grad program in the United States was at Rutgers. The best Medieval Philosophy program was at Arizona.

So it really doesn't matter and it all gets in the way of the real question. What happened in Wisconsin?!
              Last edited by Kepler; 10-02-2019, 03:12 PM.
              Cornell University

Comment

What happened in Wisconsin?!
                Where to begin...

Comment

So, what happened in Wisconsin?
                  Paint thinner with a republican chaser.
                  Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  Where to begin...
                  Ornery house today. Probably the Cousins Effect.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                    Ornery house today. Probably the Cousins Effect.
                    Code:

Comment

Amazing gene pool in that pic.

Comment

All this says to me is, "Midwesterner."
                        Cornell University

Comment

All this says to me is, "Midwesterner."
                          I dunno. That's the first picture that comes up with "typical packer fan" Here is the rest of the NFC North:

Here's "Typical Midwesterner"

Here's "Typical Minnesotan" (Ok, so it was the #2, but was just too good)
                          Code:

Comment

Ohhhhhhhh I knew I hated this ****wad:
                            Code:

Comment

Oh no

Comment

Ohhhhhhhh I knew I hated this ****wad:
                                Is that....Kriesel?
                                Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                                Originally posted by Quizmire
                                mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                                MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                                MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                                I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Working...
                                X