X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Harvard 2019-20 (Moving On)

Originally posted by Rightnut View Post
    Why are Petrie and Moy out?
    Petrie has missed three games due to injury. I don't know why Moy missed Friday night.

Comment

After arriving at Walter Brown about three minutes after the opening face-off and feeling greatly relieved that the scoreboard still showed 0-0, then seeing Reed on the bench, then trying to identify the unusual figure in the Harvard goal, then watching Northeastern score seconds later, I naturally thought that this was going to be a very long night: Becky Dutton was starting the third game of her season. Yes, she had shut out RPI and Dartmouth, but that meant she had shut out RPI and Dartmouth. This was the Beanpot! This was Northeastern! As it turned out, nobody could have done a better job facing that powerhouse.The two goals she gave up were on somebody else (like the Huskies’ offense), and 95% of the 35 saves she made were a demonstration of all the skills and poise a first-rate goalie must have. She owned the goal against a team that seemed to be on a fast break 50% of the time they had possession, and the other 50% seemed to set up as if they were in the closing seconds of a power play. Everything FAST. They didn’t allow H’s offense to get into a rhythm, despite 32 SOG, but our backchecking was ferocious and Dutton did all that was needed to turn this into a real thriller.

This is just my way of saying that if all you read about this game was that “Northeastern finished off Harvard 3-1” you need to hear that Northeastern fought the Resistance for 59:48 before the ENG.

(No Petrie. Limited Moy. Lines more or less back to the new normal)

Comment

Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post
        After arriving at Walter Brown about three minutes after the opening face-off and feeling greatly relieved that the scoreboard still showed 0-0, then seeing Reed on the bench, then trying to identify the unusual figure in the Harvard goal, then watching Northeastern score seconds later, I naturally thought that this was going to be a very long night: Becky Dutton was starting the third game of her season. Yes, she had shut out RPI and Dartmouth, but that meant she had shut out RPI and Dartmouth. This was the Beanpot! This was Northeastern! As it turned out, nobody could have done a better job facing that powerhouse.The two goals she gave up were on somebody else (like the Huskies’ offense), and 95% of the 35 saves she made were a demonstration of all the skills and poise a first-rate goalie must have. She owned the goal against a team that seemed to be on a fast break 50% of the time they had possession, and the other 50% seemed to set up as if they were in the closing seconds of a power play. Everything FAST. They didn’t allow H’s offense to get into a rhythm, despite 32 SOG, but our backchecking was ferocious and Dutton did all that was needed to turn this into a real thriller.

This is just my way of saying that if all you read about this game was that “Northeastern finished off Harvard 3-1” you need to hear that Northeastern fought the Resistance for 59:48 before the ENG.

(No Petrie. Limited Moy. Lines more or less back to the new normal)

Big ECAC weekend coming up. Will be tough if no Petrie and limited Moy.

Comment

The third goalie in four games, and just the fourth start for the senior Larcom against Cornell Friday, but why not share the wealth of opportunity in this pivotal season? Gale-force winds deprived me of streaming the third period, with its 4x3 shortie to make it 3-1 Cornell following matching hooking/embellishment penalties (!) but, as losses go, 4-1 is much better than January's 7-0., though in the end superior talent will out.

Saturday H was outplayed for forty-plus minutes by a fierce Colgate team, but Dutton was back from the Beanpot wars, doing her thing, as were KDR and Bloomer. Down 3-2, a no-longer-limited Moy scored two goals in eighty seconds with less than three minutes to play. The color guy tried to tell me why shots from impossible angles from the goal line sometimes make perfect sense, but all I know is that Moy's first one from zero degrees went in, as did her second from 90. And Petrie (2 pts.) is now back, btw. But we don't want to see Colgate again.

As for the upcoming Beanpot “consolation” game, I’m sure both teams would rather call in sick.
          Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 02-09-2020, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Moy scored two goals in eighty seconds
            Eighty-one, actually. Is this one for the books, especially with the tying and winning goals?

Note to self: ask ARM. Probably a dozen Gophers have more than matched this.

Comment

Eighty-one, actually. Is this one for the books, especially with the tying and winning goals?

Note to self: ask ARM. Probably a dozen Gophers have more than matched this.
              I would think Jen Botterill and her teammates demolished all such records back in the day. They scored at will. Probably not tying and winning goals, though, as they were rarely behind.
              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                they were rarely behind.
                !!! I wonder what that feels like.

Comment

!!! I wonder what that feels like.
                  You didn't follow Harvard ~ 20 years ago? The Crimson had some pretty unstoppable teams.
                  "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                  And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                    You didn't follow Harvard ~ 20 years ago? The Crimson had some pretty unstoppable teams.
                    I discovered the women's game only after I had little women in the house.

Comment

I discovered the women's game only after I had little women in the house.
                      Great post!

I discovered the women's game when my goddaughter, a squash player, was first-year roommates with Angela Ruggierro. But both our daughters preferred the constant 55 degrees of the squash courts to playing on ice, and sad to say the oldest granddaughter dropped out of hockey after kindergarten (when the first grade program would have involved three mornings at the rink on a predominantly boys' team). But we still occasionally take all four grandpups to watch the Harvard women in action!

Comment

[QUOTE=thirdtime's . . .;6900243]Eighty-one, actually. Is this one for the books, especially with the tying and winning goals?]

Wish that the team archives included a record of exactly what Randi Griffin '10 accomplished in the final games of her senior season. An indefatigable grinder with a big heart for her first three and three-quarter seasons, she suddenly exploded with a flurry of last-minute game-tying, game-winning and OT-winning goals as Harvard vied for playoff seeding and swept their first-round opponent.

Of course she's best known for scoring half of the goals scored by the Unified North/South Korean team at the Sochi Olympics....

Comment

Of course over on the men's side, no one will ever equal the feat of the redoubtable C. J. Young

against Dartmouth

three goals

47 seconds

all shorthanded

Comment

W.R., the C. J. Young story is astonishing, and I’m glad you remembered Randi Griffin, who records show had her first career hat trick, a natural, in her last regular season game, for the tie, after winning the previous night’s game on a penalty shot! That’s pretty sweet.

As for last night, where was Dutton? After two really strong games against Northeastern and Colgate why go anywhere else against BC (assuming Reed is banged up, which is more likely than not)? No one needs to be saved and anyone can be used for the upcoming games at RPI and Union. And we are also now back to disheveled line play. I wish BC had needed to go "full—ridiculousness” to win this. That would have been fun to see. But they didn’t.

This Crimson team is a frustrating one to follow: ad hoc goalies and lines by committee, easy to criticize after a loss, but still . . . little consistency. But I will give them kudos last night for incidentally helping walk T3 back off the ledge. That’s an important win for the women’s game.
                            Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 02-12-2020, 12:09 PM.

Comment

W.R., the C. J. Young story is astonishing, and I’m glad you remembered Randi Griffin, who records show had her first career hat trick, a natural, in her last regular season game, for the tie, after winning the previous night’s game on a penalty shot! That’s pretty sweet.

As for last night, where was Dutton? After two really strong games against Northeastern and Colgate why go anywhere else against BC (assuming Reed is banged up, which is more likely than not)? No one needs to be saved and anyone can be used for the upcoming games at RPI and Union. And we are also now back to disheveled line play. I wish BC had needed to go "full—ridiculousness” to win this. That would have been fun to see. But they didn’t.

This Crimson team is a frustrating one to follow: ad hoc goalies and lines by committee, easy to criticize after a loss, but still . . . little consistency. But I will give them kudos last night for incidentally helping walk T3 back off the ledge. That’s an important win for the women’s game.
                              Agree about the consistency or lack thereof. Shaking up lines constantly doesn't help. I think they wanted to give Dutton a breather after seeing a lot of pucks lately. And they aren't going to the NCAAs unless they win the ECAC tournament which given their record against top teams doesn't bode well.

The way I look at it, they are becoming more competitive inside the conference and have a shot at getting home ice for the first round of the playoffs. That's a good thing. Step in the right direction. But they need better play from the back end and better structure and less individual play from the forwards. Whether that happens is anyone's guess.

Comment

I missed the RPI game so I missed KDR’s unassisted goal. She’s almost an auto-fill in a Crimson box score.

I don’t think I missed the Union game, though the transmission was like something from the Lunar Excursion Module. From what I managed to see you could either say that Harvard played its just-not-quite-there-yet kind of game or that Union’s Murray was lights-out (46 saves in her eighth start of the season) on a Senior Night when her whole team played like a team possessed. I choose to say both/and. Union deserved one point at least, but must have been gassed in OT, which is fine by me. There’s a reason no one lets you pick up gimmes anymore.

Btw, the refs spent almost the equivalent of a full period reviewing various calls, such as goalie carrying the puck into the net in her glove, goalie out of her crease getting wiped out by two cascading players with different colored jerseys, awkward hand pass resulting in delay of game and matching minors, etc. Since the people announcing the games often remain in the dark about these calls and reviews, it would be nice if the refs were miced (how weird is the word “miced”?) for the explanations, just like the NFL.

P.S. The greatest (and quickest) pre-game national anthem I’ve ever heard, played with gusto by a female trumpeter. Hats off!

Comment

Working...
                                X