Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Harvard 2019-20 (Moving On)

Originally posted by nmh View Post
    i was impressed with harvard after watching them this weekend in nashville.

First things first, i wouldn't put too much stock in the shot disparities. There didn't seem to be a lot of rhyme or reason to how shots were being counted. The game didn't feel that lopsided. Yes, the badgers are very good at shooting a bunch without scoring, but that really wasn't the case here.

I can tell you that in post-game on saturday, the crimson players were really pumped up. Despite results, they gained a lot of confidence from the weekend. They weren't totally outclassed - they played with the two top teams in the country and though there were clearly some parts of the game that um and uw were better at, harvard held up and played well. I got the impression that they felt like if they had done this well here, they should be more dominant in their conference games. We'll see how that played out, but after all was said and done, i talked to petrie and peper and they were in really good spirits and feeling like the weekend was an overall win.
    thank you for this

Comment

Originally posted by NMH View Post
      I was impressed with Harvard after watching them this weekend in Nashville.
      I said my piece in the scores thread, but I talked to a bunch of people during and after the games, and among those people, your take on Harvard's performance is unique.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
        I said my piece in the scores thread, but I talked to a bunch of people during and after the games, and among those people, your take on Harvard's performance is unique.
        I questioned that also. It's a bit of a stretch to be impressed when they got outscored 9-1 and outshot 100-36 in their two games.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I’d like to somehow split the difference and say the players were psyched while being outmatched. Seriously, they didn’t feel routed, and they weren’t. . . just soundly defeated, and apparently they came away from that experience somewhat energized, given the opposition. I think this can happen in sports. That is the THIS I was responding to. Admittedly this is beyond x's and o's. But your standards are, understandably, very high, and H simply didn’t meet them.

Comment

Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post
            I’d like to somehow split the difference and say the players were psyched while being outmatched. Seriously, they didn’t feel routed, and they weren’t. . . just soundly defeated, and apparently they came away from that experience somewhat energized, given the opposition. I think this can happen in sports. That is the THIS I was responding to. Admittedly this is beyond x's and o's. But your standards are, understandably, very high, and H simply didn’t meet them.
            If they feel encouraged, great. I wish them well and hope they win some ECAC games and the Beanpot.

Comment

If they feel encouraged, great. I wish them well and hope they win some ECAC games and the Beanpot.
              Likewise.
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Good four point weekend for the Lady Crimson to head into Christmas break. Yesterday's game was a bit weird in that there were four goals in the first period and then nothing until Della Rovere's game winner in OT.

Comment

After Nashville, what’s the nature of motivation-generated-by-defeat? That was the question. It remains unanswered after this weekend’s victories. With a ho-hummer 4-0 lead against Yale narrowed to a 4-2 win, and a Harvard PP goal (KDR) in OT to beat Brown, there's not much to say. Maybe we should switch to “gut-check” as the operative term as the team pauses for the holidays.

Btw, I was looking forward to my annual Brown’s Mike Rubin play-by-play fest, when what to my surprise did I hear but the almost identical voice of his brother, Dan - - - equally candid, knowledgeable and entertaining. Uncanny. Both have to be real students of the game to bring those qualities to announcing Brown hockey these days. (But, then again, see above. Brown hockey almost skunked Harvard hockey yesterday.)
                  Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 12-08-2019, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Are you like me in that we last saw Harvard in person in 2015? Obviously, the Crimson have suffered through some lean times since then, so maybe a Minnesota fan's expectations for Harvard are too high. I know when I watch them I have to remind myself that they no longer send Kazmaier contenders over the boards with the same regularity that they once did.
                    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      Are you like me in that we last saw Harvard in person in 2015? Obviously, the Crimson have suffered through some lean times since then, so maybe a Minnesota fan's expectations for Harvard are too high. I know when I watch them I have to remind myself that they no longer send Kazmaier contenders over the boards with the same regularity that they once did.
                      Is KDR still being snubbed by the Canadian National team?

Comment

I don't think so, though I suppose it's possible. That 2015 Frozen Four was the only time I saw a truly elite Harvard squad. I started following women's hockey in 2010-11, so I missed their real glory years only saw them in person during their 2010-11 series in Minnesota.

Against Wisconsin, I thought they were just dreadful. They played better against Minnesota, and maybe that was just a bad style matchup. Harvard played extremely conservatively, with little forechecking pressure and often four players spread across their own blue line to deny entry. If you don't try to pressure the defensemen, the Gophers will eventually pick you apart. So, maybe they felt good about playing well in a style that I consider raising a white flag. Still, they weren't as good at it as, say, Bemidji usually is. (Though, this year, Bemidji doesn't look like it's as good at it as Bemidji usually is.) This is one of the reasons why I respect the way John Harrington has Mankato playing: they're going to skate with you. That is the way you have the best chance of beating Minnesota, even if the likely outcome is that it increases the margin of your defeat.

Comment

Against Wisconsin, I thought they were just dreadful. They played better against Minnesota, and maybe that was just a bad style matchup.
                          I've watched very strong UM teams, even great ones, look pretty mortal against Wisconsin. They're very adept at getting in the way of everything that you're trying to do. For an average or thereabouts team, being able to get possession of the puck in the offensive zone versus the Badgers is a moral victory. I've seen enough of those #1 seed vs #4 seed games in the WCHA Tournament to believe that a 4-0 loss to UW is more painful than an 8-0 loss to an offensive powerhouse.

In the ECAC, the closest analogy to Wisconsin defensively might be the very best Quinnipiac teams. Its goalie might be great or mediocre, but it is hard to tell when all she ever has to do is raise her arm to indicate that the linesmen are going to call icing.

Comment

I was recently at a Noble & Greenough game...what happened to Harvard Commit Jenna McDonald? not on roster.

Comment

I've watched very strong UM teams, even great ones, look pretty mortal against Wisconsin.
                              Sure, but Wisconsin plays a much more aggressive defensive system than what I saw out of Harvard. The Badgers forecheck hard, and are looking to produce turnovers over the entire 200 foot length of the ice.

Comment

Sure, but Wisconsin plays a much more aggressive defensive system than what I saw out of Harvard. The Badgers forecheck hard, and are looking to produce turnovers over the entire 200 foot length of the ice.
                                Right, and I was responding to your comment that you thought Harvard was dreadful versus the Badgers. UW makes teams look worse than they otherwise are.

Comment

Working...
                                X