Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Harvard 2019-20 (Moving On)

Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post
    I missed the RPI game so I missed KDR’s unassisted goal. She’s almost an auto-fill in a Crimson box score.

I don’t think I missed the Union game, though the transmission was like something from the Lunar Excursion Module. From what I managed to see you could either say that Harvard played its just-not-quite-there-yet kind of game or that Union’s Murray was lights-out (46 saves in her eighth start of the season) on a Senior Night when her whole team played like a team possessed. I choose to say both/and. Union deserved one point at least, but must have been gassed in OT, which is fine by me. There’s a reason no one lets you pick up gimmes anymore.

Btw, the refs spent almost the equivalent of a full period reviewing various calls, such as goalie carrying the puck into the net in her glove, goalie out of her crease getting wiped out by two cascading players with different colored jerseys, awkward hand pass resulting in delay of game and matching minors, etc. Since the people announcing the games often remain in the dark about these calls and reviews, it would be nice if the refs were miced (how weird is the word “miced”?) for the explanations, just like the NFL.

P.S. The greatest (and quickest) pre-game national anthem I’ve ever heard, played with gusto by a female trumpeter. Hats off!
    I tuned in during the third period just in time to see Union score the tying goal. Then the interminable delays for reviewing Petrie's hand closing on the puck and the goalie interference (which should not have been called because MacDonald was shoved into Murray by a Union player). Gilmore's winner was an absolute snipe.

Agree about the video quality. There were video dropouts that resembled the Schwarzenegger movie "Predator".

Comment

Anyone seeing game two at Bright knew that game three yesterday would be a coin flip. What I couldn’t foresee:

107 SOG
      Just 1 of 6 regulation time goals scored 5x5
      3 PPG, 1 4x4, 1 6x5 (@ 19:46)
      42 minutes of rough and tumble OT with completely swallowed whistles
      A Reed-like Reed and a Reed-like Meloni in goal
      Yale might be next year’s Princeton

This was one helluva game

[But please, Crimson website people, no more “RV/RV Harvard beats Yale.” This RV PR BS is just silly. A forward slash mark needs numbers, and numbers come from R-ing more Vs. Harvard is not motoring to Ithaca in a Winnebago, though someone might like to give them a deluxe edition after last night]

Comment

Anyone seeing game two at Bright knew that game three yesterday would be a coin flip. What I couldn’t foresee:

107 SOG
        3 PPG, 1 4x4, 1 6x5 (@ 19:46)
        42 minutes of rough and tumble OT with completely swallowed whistles
        A Reed-like Reed and a Reed-like Meloni in goal
        Yale might be next year’s Princeton

This was one helluva game

[But please, Crimson website people, no more “RV/RV Harvard beats Yale.” This RV PR BS is just silly. A forward slash mark needs numbers, and numbers come from R-ing more Vs. Harvard is not motoring to Ithaca in a Winnebago, though someone might like to give them a deluxe edition after last night]
        Yeah, I don't get the "RV" thing either. But maybe that's just me.

About the weekend. Exhausting to watch so I can only imagine what it was like to play Saturday and Sunday OTs. Especially yesterday. Both teams had glorious chances in regulation and the OTs to end it. As you point out, both goalies came up big. It was going to be a soul crusher for either team to lose.

One comment about the officiating. They did indeed put their whistles in their pockets except for late in the third period. When Yale was called for slamming MacDonald into the boards, I thought 'okay, Harvard needs to be careful here because the next one might be on them". And sure enough, after Della Rovere scored, MacDonald gets a high sticking call and Yale ties it up. That just isn't playing smart hockey. You need to be aware that the refs are now watching out for infractions and be smart about it. That and the 6 on 5 goal to even the game with 14 seconds left me wondering why Harvard can't be more disciplined in their approach in these situations.

Comment

Game highlights - well done!

https://youtu.be/ckRKjN9sbMQ
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

[QUOTE=thirdtime's . . .;6913366]Anyone seeing game two at Bright knew that game three yesterday would be a coin flip. What I couldn’t foresee:

107 SOG
            3 PPG, 1 4x4, 1 6x5 (@ 19:46)]

After reviewing the video, I think you can say with confidence that Della Rovere's goal to open the scoring was a 1-on-4!

Comment

[QUOTE=Watson Rink;6916976]

107 SOG
              3 PPG, 1 4x4, 1 6x5 (@ 19:46)]

After reviewing the video, I think you can say with confidence that Della Rovere's goal to open the scoring was a 1-on-4!
              Just watched the highlights - that looked like a great game.
              I see KDR is still getting it done close to the net and further out.

Comment

If you’re asked to punch way above your weight then you don’t want to tie one hand behind your back. Six of Cornell’s fifteen (!) goals against the Crimson this season were scored on a PP, and a seventh was a shortie, so special teams were conspicuously absent almost 50% of crunch time. “Work the problem, people, work the problem!” as Mission Control’s Ed Harris said in Apollo 13.

Yesterday’s Princeton was not the Princeton that Harvard went 1-0-1 against. I’d love to see this Tiger team at Agganis.

Candid color comment of the year (maybe of all time), during the PU/Clarkson game: “If you’re the third goalie on the depth chart you must have a pretty good GPA.”

Comment

If you’re asked to punch way above your weight then you don’t want to tie one hand behind your back. Six of Cornell’s fifteen (!) goals against the Crimson this season were scored on a PP, and a seventh was a shortie, so special teams were conspicuously absent almost 50% of crunch time. “Work the problem, people, work the problem!” as Mission Control’s Ed Harris said in Apollo 13.

Yesterday’s Princeton was not the Princeton that Harvard went 1-0-1 against. I’d love to see this Tiger team at Agganis.

Candid color comment of the year (maybe of all time), during the PU/Clarkson game: “If you’re the third goalie on the depth chart you must have a pretty good GPA.”
                  That is a great comment. Reminds me of the time when a Princeton alum confided to a friend of mine that he thought either Allain Roy or Chuckie Hughes would choose to attend Princeton. He said the coaches were shocked that both decided to come to Cambridge. GPA or no GPA, we were lucky to have them.

I think Harvard has improved but not to the point where they can compete against Top Ten schools. They are not good enough defensively and while they have some talented forwards, they could use an upgraded offensive zone attack. They do the same things they've been doing for 20 years.

Comment

Working...
                  X