Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POTUS 45:56 Biden Memes to Own the Cons!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
    I will not apologize for defending free speech, which is a basic right in this country. I will also say that what you say comes with consequences, but those consequences should not include violence.
    The elimination of the fighting words doctrine is still one of the things I think SCOTUS got wrong. There are things that are said with the intent to provoke the other person, and the other person shouldn't be seen as the aggressor in such cases.

Comment

• Re: POTUS 45:56 Biden Memes to Own the Cons!

Originally posted by unofan View Post
      The elimination of the fighting words doctrine is still one of the things I think SCOTUS got wrong. There are things that are said with the intent to provoke the other person, and the other person shouldn't be seen as the aggressor in such cases.
      I can respect that opinion, although I disagree with it.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
        Tell that to the occupants of 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.
        It's not just DC. It's Albany, Sacramento, Annapolis, Juneau, Boston, Salem, and every state in the Union. We've gone mad. Don't like em, need em or want em? Kill em! Kill them for convenience sake. Kill them because you don't like them. Kill them because they're a burden. Kill them for the sheer joy of killing.

My God. What have we become?!

Any change needs to start in the villages, the towns, and the cities. From Houghton to Houston. From Los Angeles to Lowell. From Boston to Boise.

Start small - build the groundswell. Change the attitudes. Then our political and judicial masters will listen and the course will change.

(That old Coke commercial comes to mind, but that's too saccharine, but you get the idea.)
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
          I will not apologize for defending free speech, which is a basic right in this country. I will also say that what you say comes with consequences, but those consequences should not include violence.
          Oh they can say it. I'm not saying throw them in prison. I'm saying people can punch them and not be "just as bad."
          the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
            Nah. Someone that punches a Nazi is never as bad as the Nazi. Doesn't matter that the Nazi is a coward that won't back it up. If you're a Nazi, you get punched, and you don't get to complain about it.
            No but if you punch a Nazi there should be consequences. You cant just allow people to hit people because they disagree with the words they said. That is a terrible precedent to set.

Mind you you dont have to throw the book at the puncher, but there needs to be some sort of punishment. In this country people have the right to have awful and hateful opinions.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              It's not just DC. It's Albany, Sacramento, Annapolis, Juneau, Boston, Salem, and every state in the Union. We've gone mad. Don't like em, need em or want em? Kill em! Kill them for convenience sake. Kill them because you don't like them. Kill them because they're a burden. Kill them for the sheer joy of killing.

My God. What have we become?!
              Who the fvck thinks this 5h!t joe? And if you're talking about abortion, go fvck yourself if you think that women who contemplate or actually have an abortion are thinking along these lines. A decision like that is gut-wrenching and I would posit for virtually every woman who has one, it is the last thing she WANTS to do. You are a troubled, sad and sick little minded waste of space if you think women casually have an abortion like I throw away the last few fries in my bag of Mcdonald's food. What we've become in large part is a nation of idiots like you who have a twisted view of the real world.

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                No but if you punch a Nazi there should be consequences. You cant just allow people to hit people because they disagree with the words they said. That is a terrible precedent to set.
                I'm not saying let's hit people that say something you disagree with. I'm saying let's hit Nazis. Sure, them saying something awful is usually how they're identified, but that's just a happy accident.

Your point stands, though. The general public won't be able to tell the difference. It's depressing.
                the state of hockey is good

Comment

I think uno's comments on Chaplinski are being misinterpreted to some extent. He's simply saying (I think), that fighting words that tend to incite violence, as defined in Chaplinski, ought to remain unprotected speech. (Chaplinski has been limited so much by subsequent decisions that there is some doubt whether that is still true). That's not the same as saying violent acts in response to fighting words are always defensible.

And cultures change. Not that long ago, if I went up to one of the gopher fans on this board and yelled, "Gophers suck," I"d probably get popped. Nowdays that would just be treated as a statement of fact.
                  Last edited by burd; 08-04-2019, 12:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    I've said this before and I will repeat it again for those who have forgotten.

St. John Paul II called it the "Culture of Death." We have made human life a disposable item to be discarded when it is no longer useful or is inconvenient.

We need to value, nurture, promote, etc. all human life 24/7/365, not just when it gets gunned down by a madman.

Call it the "Culture of Life" if you want.
                    But, specifically, and most importantly, those little clumps of cells that are smaller than a thimble, right?

Its all gotta start somewhere.
                    Last edited by rufus; 08-04-2019, 12:31 PM.
                    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
                      But, specifically, and most importantly, those little clumps of cells that are smaller than a thimble, right?
                      Joe got a hard on hearing about the handmaids tail.

Comment

Get it yet, morons?

Counties that hosted a 2016 Trump rally saw a 226 percent increase in hate crimes
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          Mulvaney does not get it. See Meet The Press today.
                          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
                            So sayeth one of the few supporters of the death penalty on this board. Pot, meet kettle.
                            Well, in his encyclical, JP2 said the death penalty should be used in extremely rare circumstances.

Like this one?
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              Well, in his encyclical, JP2 said the death penalty should be used in extremely rare circumstances.

Like this one?
                              Nope. It's a waste of money.
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

Like this one?
                                Sincere question: why would the church ever support the death penalty?

Isn't the whole point that life is a gift for god to bestow or remove and man has no business intruding?

Or is this another compromise with secular authority to keep from being exposed as irrelevant in a post-Enlightenment world?
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X