X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020: Nordic Combined

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    So when does Union get its turn to modify its schedule so Harvard doesn't have to play two games the weekend before the Beanpot?
    Why does it always have to be RPI? Can't they rotate this schedule with the other ECAC teams getting a shot at Harvard?
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin
    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
    Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
      Probably when Union stops having trimesters. In other words, not likely.
      A Union-Harvard game would not have to be played this weekend. It could be on any mutually agreeable date with Harvard. Didn't we recently play the moved game midweek?

Also as EHF said, the ECAC could schedule one of the other 4 travel pairs the weekend before the Beanpot. They have done that, but it seems that we get the "honor" quite often.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
        Early line for next weekend is not very encouraging as we are a 4-2 underdog on Friday (largest point spread so far this year against us) with only a 12% chance of a victory. We are a one goal favorite on the road for Saturday with a 62% chance of victory and that is the highest percentage favorite we have been so far.
        Sounds optimistic to me. Harvard has scored 31 goals in 6 games (6-0), including a 7-2 shellacking of Quinnipiac and 6-1 win at Yale last Sat night.
        ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
          Until last night, I didn't realize the advantage the Quinnipiac and Princeton have in Saturday Night ECAC games.
          As travelling partners, the visiting team has to play a Friday Night game that ends somewhere around 9:30PM.
          By the time they get on the bus to travel, it has to be at least 10:30PM. Getting them into the Saturday opponents area in the middle of the night because of the distance between the two schools.
          And that doesn't account for any stops.
          That would seem to be a big disadvantage for all ECAC visitors to to those venues. JMO
          I think this was one reason why some folks were advocating some years ago for having 2-game weekend series against the same team in the ECAC, a la the Western conferences, but that would likely mean you wouldn't have home games against half of the teams each year.

Not sure the Princeton QPAC travel factor plays much of a role. By this level, hockey players are used to some long bus trips before games. Plus RPI is pretty centrally located as far as ECAC teams go; not sure they have much of a complaint about travel demands relative to the other teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
            Sounds optimistic to me. Harvard has scored 31 goals in 6 games (6-0), including a 7-2 shellacking of Quinnipiac and 6-1 win at Yale last Sat night.
            I trust our coach can come up with a defensive strategy to simply frustrate them early. If we can keep this low scoring, especially early, you never know. But if we get the same kind of officiating I saw in Princeton Friday in the third period, then it could be an ugly game quickly. i found that third period a bit egregious since we were one of the lowest penalized team in the country at the time.
            Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
              For what it's worth, the CHODR rating system predicts a 7-1 (or more precisely, 6.95-1.39) score for that game. It obviously suffers from a relatively small sample this early in the season, but I agree that 4-2 seems optimistic.

EDIT: Fun fact, by that rating system, we are playing the best and worst teams in the nation back to back this weekend.
              RPI Pep Band
              GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
              🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
              2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
              2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

This story about a North Dakota player's first career goal made me smile. Maybe RPI needs to change the pre-game diet. https://www.grandforksherald.com/spo...he-was-playing

Comment

Did anyone hear the rationale for the waved off goal on Saturday vs. Qpac? I was at the game and no one had any idea of the reason it was disallowed.

Comment

Originally posted by TuteScrooge View Post
                    Did anyone hear the rationale for the waved off goal on Saturday vs. Qpac? I was at the game and no one had any idea of the reason it was disallowed.
                    https://youtu.be/z-eZeV0Bwdw?t=250

Gornall takes out the goaltender's leg while in the crease, obstructing his ability to play the rebound. Ref pointed to the crease prior to signaling the faceoff outside the zone.

Comment

Originally posted by NPC19850330 View Post

Gornall takes out the goaltender's leg while in the crease, obstructing his ability to play the rebound. Ref pointed to the crease prior to signaling the faceoff outside the zone.
                      That's a soft call. He hits the pad on the follow through of his shot. Terrible call that completely changed the game's momentum.

Comment

Originally posted by NPC19850330 View Post

Takes it out? Their skate toes barely touched. Terrible call.
                        Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

[QUOTE=ServinisScores;6867532]Takes it out? Their skate toes barely touched. Terrible call.[/QUOTE
                          Disallowed goals and difficult travel are both examples of adversity all teams face,at one time or another. The great teams handle it and great coaches teach the players how to handle it. This weekend will provide another opportunity to handle it with the long trip after a Friday night game. Let's see how they handle it and if their ability to handle adversity improves with exposure or not. They came away from this past weekend with 1 out of 4 possible points. At the end of the season if they are in the lower end of the ECAC standings, we can point to travel hardship or disallowed goals all we want, but at the end of the day overcoming adversity and scoring more and giving up less goals than they score will be necessary to do better than 1 out of 4 points.

Comment

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
                            Takes it out? Their skate toes barely touched. Terrible call.
                            I'm not buying the call. The link below shows the moment of contact, which, if it happened at all is a toe touch. Note that the defenseman, who was coming in from the top, is leaning into Gornall in the direction of the goaltender. Furthermore, about 8 frames earlier he put his stick across Gornall's path which served to direct him deeper into the crease as he skated forward. Either would be sufficient to cause any minor contact with the goaltender. Lastly, the leg of the referee that made the call is seen at the top. He's about 12 feet away behind the defenseman - hardly in position to judge what was happening. All in all, we've seen goals granted in far more egregious circumstances.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...3f38f5b686.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by rpi82; 11-19-2019, 11:55 AM.

Comment

I watched the video several times and could not convince myself that goal should have been disallowed. But i can live with it as i really do not think it changes a loss into a tie or a victory. Let's just hope they do not go back to March 1985 and review the Servinis goal under the microscopic view of multiple replays!!
                              Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

for those interested, Matt Murley was back on the Spittin Chiclets podcast. He talked again about his time at RPI, and had glowing reports about Mark Murphy who was a "bully" but a true leader on the team. Good story about the Ruck as well.
                                Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Working...
                                X