• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020: Nordic Combined

Originally posted by sezenack View Post
    Dubinsky seemed to be everywhere with his motor and speed on both sides
    < snip >
    Mahshie did not impress me nearly as much as I thought he would
    I was impressed that Dubinsky was winning faceoffs. That is a skill which we can use. It's too bad that none of the Junior leagues which we recruit from posts that stats in their box scores.

As to Mahshie, I know that you have been expecting a lot from him. IMO, it is really hard to tell how good a player is on a dominating team like Brooks was last year. Some players benefit a lot from their teammates will others just get lost. I had the opposite opinion from you -- I thought that he showed more than I expected. In the same vein, I am trying not to get excited about McIsaac's performance in his first two games on what to this point is an 8-0 Brooks team. Howver being named his team's Star of the Game in both games is certainly good.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
      I was impressed that Dubinsky was winning faceoffs. That is a skill which we can use. It's too bad that none of the Junior leagues which we recruit from posts that stats in their box scores.

As to Mahshie, I know that you have been expecting a lot from him. IMO, it is really hard to tell how good a player is on a dominating team like Brooks was last year. Some players benefit a lot from their teammates will others just get lost. I had the opposite opinion from you -- I thought that he showed more than I expected. In the same vein, I am trying not to get excited about McIsaac's performance in his first two games on what to this point is an 8-0 Brooks team. Howver being named his team's Star of the Game in both games is certainly good.
      I agree with your take on Mahshie ... he moves well for a big kid and he went north-south right to the front of the Brock net a few times ---if he can do that this season it can only help our offense. Tough to take away any firm conclusions from a first game exhibition --but overall signs of life from the offense. Friday night will be far more telling IMO.
      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
        I agree with your take on Mahshie ... he moves well for a big kid and he went north-south right to the front of the Brock net a few times ---if he can do that this season it can only help our offense. Tough to take away any firm conclusions from a first game exhibition --but overall signs of life from the offense. Friday night will be far more telling IMO.
        The most important takeaway I had is we got goals from Burgess, Polino, and Zieky. Those three can all put the puck in the net, and we’ll need them to do that consistently this season if we want to win. It’s certainly oversimplifying things, but it’s going to play a huge factor in how the year shakes out.

Comment

Pick-to-Click is alive!
          RPI Pep Band
          GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
          🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
          2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
          2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Best takeaway for me was that Jenny watched the entire game and said we were certainly not boring. Something that she had mentioned about our play several times in the past few years. Then she asked me an interesting question. She asked how good a team Brock was and what i knew about them. I explained i knew very little. She then said "Wouldn't it be really something if it turned out this year that Brock was a Canadian power house and we handled them rather easily while other teams found them much more difficult." Obviously it remains to be seen but they were able to put 4 up against a supposedly very strong and top ranked QU team and came within minutes of beating them.
            Withholding any judgement until at least we play one or two more weekends against US Division I competition.
            Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
              It still says New Haven. I take it that St. Louis didn't admit you.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                Best takeaway for me was that Jenny watched the entire game and said we were certainly not boring. Something that she had mentioned about our play several times in the past few years. Then she asked me an interesting question. She asked how good a team Brock was and what i knew about them. I explained i knew very little. She then said "Wouldn't it be really something if it turned out this year that Brock was a Canadian power house and we handled them rather easily while other teams found them much more difficult." Obviously it remains to be seen but they were able to put 4 up against a supposedly very strong and top ranked QU team and came within minutes of beating them.
                Withholding any judgement until at least we play one or two more weekends against US Division I competition.
                Well, last season they finished tied for the 2nd best regular season record in the 20 team OAU before losing in the 2nd round of the playoffs. I''m not sure what they lost from that club, but a number of their freshmen have major junior or professional experience.

Comment

Do others feel that I should start a separate thread for next week's games? If so I should probably also include the 2nd UConn game. I am starting to wonder if the weekly threads are worth doing.
                  Does anyone care one way or the other?
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

It still says New Haven. I take it that St. Louis didn't admit you.
                    (fixed)
                    RPI Pep Band
                    GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                    🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                    2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                    2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

About who? (first base) About what? (second base)
                      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                        About who? (first base) About what? (second base)
                        Thanks for your input.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I think it makes sense to keep rolling here through the weekend games.
                          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Smitty slated to be on 104.5 The Team in a few minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                              Smitty slated to be on 104.5 The Team in a few minutes.
                              Tidbits from Smitty interview --all paraphrasing: Overall, He likes the team chemistry very much. Excellent leadership from upperclassmen and a willingness to compete for each other.

Brock Game : Very good execution against a very solid Brock team. RPI power play returns all 10 players from two units and went 4 for 5 vs. Brock. Adding in Babichuk on the PP --he expects good things from both units.

UMass: It will be an exciting challenge and test. UMass will raise a banner and have a alot of energy in the building....looking to see how our guys respond. Large olympic ice will pose a challenge and interested to see how the players adjust.

UConn: HE opponent, lots of talent, another good test.

Leaders and Players to watch as Smitty sees them:

Chase Zieky - should lead the way in scoring and is a leader
                              Mike Gornall - hard nosed, blue collar leadership
                              Will Reilly - returned to school after having gotten a contract offer from Penguins
                              Kyle Hallbauer - "elite, extremely talented" and lots of upside as a sophomore

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                                Tidbits from Smitty interview --all paraphrasing: Overall, He likes the team chemistry very much. Excellent leadership from upperclassmen and a willingness to compete for each other.

Brock Game : Very good execution against a very solid Brock team. RPI power play returns all 10 players from two units and went 4 for 5 vs. Brock. Adding in Babichuk on the PP --he expects good things from both units.

UMass: It will be an exciting challenge and test. UMass will raise a banner and have a alot of energy in the building....looking to see how our guys respond. Large olympic ice will pose a challenge and interested to see how the players adjust.

UConn: HE opponent, lots of talent, another good test.

Leaders and Players to watch as Smitty sees them:

Chase Zieky - should lead the way in scoring and is a leader
                                Mike Gornall - hard nosed, blue collar leadership
                                Will Reilly - returned to school after having gotten a contract offer from Penguins
                                Kyle Hallbauer - "elite, extremely talented" and lots of upside as a sophomore
                                After his good freshman season and seeing how well he played in the exhibition, I think Hallbauer will have a breakout year

Comment

Working...
                                X