X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020: Nordic Combined

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
    I watched the video several times and could not convince myself that goal should have been disallowed. But i can live with it as i really do not think it changes a loss into a tie or a victory. Let's just hope they do not go back to March 1985 and review the Servinis goal under the microscopic view of multiple replays!!
    The goalie is fully extended in a butterfly and the contact rotates him. Because of the rotation he is no longer able to move laterally and regain his position. That minor contact is a significant impact on his ability to recover

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
      I'm not buying the call. The link below shows the moment of contact, which, if it happened at all is a toe touch. Note that the defenseman, who was coming in from the top, is leaning into Gornall in the direction of the goaltender. Furthermore, about 8 frames earlier he put his stick across Gornall's path which served to direct him deeper into the crease as he skated forward. Either would be sufficient to cause any minor contact with the goaltender. Lastly, the leg of the referee that made the call is seen at the top. He's about 12 feet away behind the defenseman - hardly in position to judge what was happening. All in all, we've seen goals granted in far more egregious circumstances.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...3f38f5b686.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Let's also remember that he was in the crease. The rule is that it's a crease violation if you are in the crease and obstructing, whether direct physical contact or with a screen, the ability of the goaltender to play the puck. And the ref pointed to the crease, which means crease violation. I don't know if the call stood or was confirmed.

However, 25+years makes the best point of all: It's not the call that matters, but how you rebound from the call. Only time the call matters is when it directly ends your season. We put it behind us, and get ready for Harvard, which has been known in recent history to be a good omen for us.

Comment

big game lets knock Harvard from the unbeaten ranks

Comment

Originally posted by woodenskates View Post
          The goalie is fully extended in a butterfly and the contact rotates him. Because of the rotation he is no longer able to move laterally and regain his position. That minor contact is a significant impact on his ability to recover
          Just be thankful this call was not being made in an ECAC Championship game with a minute to play and us trailing by 1 goal. Technically what you describe is really there (perhaps in a certain view only) but still just a call that a referee makes without using some discretion. It was not all that obvious. This call truly did not hurt us all that much as it would not have been a deciding score. But it was very marginal.
          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
            Just be thankful this call was not being made in an ECAC Championship game with a minute to play and us trailing by 1 goal. Technically what you describe is really there (perhaps in a certain view only) but still just a call that a referee makes without using some discretion. It was not all that obvious. This call truly did not hurt us all that much as it would not have been a deciding score. But it was very marginal.
            Doc, the game is officiated differently than what we grew up with. Even on Replay, I couldn't see an infraction, and neither could the announcers on ESPN+. I guess the refs got it right as per the rule, but I don't think that the goalie could have stopped that shot anyway. I guess we should give the ref credit for seeing it in real time, but his judgement might have been questionable in calling it.
            Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
            Benjamin Franklin
            The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
            Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
              Doc, the game is officiated differently than what we grew up with. Even on Replay, I couldn't see an infraction, and neither could the announcers on ESPN+. I guess the refs got it right as per the rule, but I don't think that the goalie could have stopped that shot anyway. I guess we should give the ref credit for seeing it in real time, but his judgement might have been questionable in calling it.
              You echo my feelings. Growing up with hockey in the 1950's and 1960's it is a very differently called game these days. I am still trying to get used to the holding and interference calls that were non existent back then. Boarding, roughing, and even hooking was seen differently also. Normally it makes very little difference but it can be game changing at times and then I notice it more. One other thing was back in the old days if you were already short handed and down a man, it pretty much took drawing blood to be called again and going down two men. Now we see much less hesitancy on the part of the officials to make that second call and award an extended two man advantage.

Comment

Union. Any speculation why the two transfers at mid year?

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatcard View Post
                  Union. Any speculation why the two transfers at mid year?
                  Is this what you’re referring to?
                  Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

@MikeMcMahonCHN
                    1h1 hour ago
                    More
                    Mike McMahon Retweeted RED LINE REPORT- NHL Draft 2020
                    Basically, a player leaves a 4-year school and transfers to a 2-year school, earning a 2-year degree. Then the player can transfer to another 4-year school after one calendar year.
                    Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                      Is this what you’re referring to?
                      Yes it is. Scrubs? Impact Players? Odd you see TWO go into the portal during the season. Realize down year for Union, but wondering what the RPI fanbase take is on the neighbor down the road.

Comment

Since we've had an extended debate regarding a call in last week's Quinnipiac game, I'd like to ask a belated question about a call in the Princeton game the previous night.

RPI had two power plays during regulation, one of them abbreviated and neither of them at all effective. They were awarded another with less than two minutes left in overtime.

RPI had control of the puck in the Princeton zone and for the first time all night seemed to be organizing an attack on the power play. All of a sudden one of the referees blew his whistle and pointed to center ice. Didn't look like any of the players on either side had any idea why play should have been stopped, and Coach Smith seemed to be pretty upset about the call. But the faceoff was held outside the blue line, and we could speculate endlessly about what might have happened in the game-ending goalmouth scramble if RPI hadn't had to spend a few extra seconds to get the puck back into the Princeton end after that center-ice faceoff.

Anyone ever hear any explanation for the stoppage in play at that point?

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
                          Since we've had an extended debate regarding a call in last week's Quinnipiac game, I'd like to ask a belated question about a call in the Princeton game the previous night.

RPI had two power plays during regulation, one of them abbreviated and neither of them at all effective. They were awarded another with less than two minutes left in overtime.

RPI had control of the puck in the Princeton zone and for the first time all night seemed to be organizing an attack on the power play. All of a sudden one of the referees blew his whistle and pointed to center ice. Didn't look like any of the players on either side had any idea why play should have been stopped, and Coach Smith seemed to be pretty upset about the call. But the faceoff was held outside the blue line, and we could speculate endlessly about what might have happened in the game-ending goalmouth scramble if RPI hadn't had to spend a few extra seconds to get the puck back into the Princeton end after that center-ice faceoff.

Anyone ever hear any explanation for the stoppage in play at that point?
                          Jenny and i saw that also and were wondering the same thing. As the game went on it just seemed to awkwardly called in some ways. No explanation was given for that stoppage and center ice face off and we had simply assumed it might have been a man in the crease call (but never indicated). BTW missed you there as we were not in the usual location. Two years ago Princeton would not renew our season tickets for our usual location and only offered us some rather less than stellar seats which we refused. We were gifted tickets to this year's game but decided to wander around most of the game.

Comment

The odds for tonight's game are:
                            Harvard -650
                            RPI +420

They certainly don't like our chances. If we could even get a tie, that'd be positive in my eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by sezenack View Post
                              The odds for tonight's game are:
                              Harvard -650
                              RPI +420

They certainly don't like our chances. If we could even get a tie, that'd be positive in my eyes.
                              Me too. My only question is what happens if there is a tie and you bet on RPI (or the other team)? Do you get your bet back or are both bets losers?

Comment

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
                                Me too. My only question is what happens if there is a tie and you bet on RPI (or the other team)? Do you get your bet back or are both bets losers?
                                I guess it could depend on who you bet with. I learned a long time ago never to place a wager with anyone who has the word "THE" as a middle name like Joey The Snake, or Carmine The Nose, or Jimmy The Fish,etc.
                                Harvard is listed as a solid 2 goal favorite with the most likely score being 4-2 and an over 80% win percentage.

Comment

Working...
                                X