This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020: Nordic Combined

Today is 17 August 2019. There are 49 days (7 weeks) until RPI's next game and still no rosters.

This is based upon 5 October 2019 for the start of next season.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Today is 18 August 2019. There are 48 days until RPI's next game and still no rosters.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

The team RPI will play 48 days hence is Brock University, whose main campus is located in St. Catharines, ON.

Although augenblick.org does not acknowledge that such a game was played, I recollect attending a game between Brock and RPI at the Field House, probably sometime in the 1970’s. As I recall, RPI won handily. Perhaps the game was considered a preseason exhibition rather than an official game.

History lesson (don't worry, you'll find something interesting about this ) - Brock University, which opened in 1964, was named after Maj. Gen. Sir Isaac Brock of the British Army. Despite being given little to work with, Brock successfully organized a defense of Upper Canada against American incursions during the first year of the War of 1812. Brock is credited with capturing Fort Detroit and with a decisive victory at the Battle of Queenston Heights, though Brock himself was killed during the battle. Brock’s efforts during the War of 1812 earned him renown as the “Hero of Upper Canada.”

The commander of the American forces at the Battle of Queenston Heights was a relatively inexperienced militia general. He labored under several handicaps, notably the fact that some of the regular army officers under his command, resenting the fact that a militia officer had been elevated to be their superior, simply refused to cooperate with him. Even worse, when the initial attack faltered and the commander tried to send reinforcements, many of the militia troops under his command refused to obey his order to cross the Niagara River to join in the fray and help the Americans on the other side. Their objection was based on the ground that the Constitution only required them to defend the territory within the boundaries of the United States, not to cross the boundary and take action on the other side.

The American commander, unlike Brock, survived the Battle of Queenston Heights, but when all was said and done, he had to face the fact that he had lost the battle and lost it badly. After the debacle, he wisely concluded that continuing to pursue a military career wouldn’t be a good idea for him. He resigned his commission and went back to civilian life. Twelve years later, he founded an institution of higher learning.

Who was this American commander? None other than our very own Stephen Van Rensselaer.

Early suggestion for the title of this season’s first game thread – “After 207 years, Brock faces Rensselaer again.”

Comment

A very interesting story indeed.
          FWIW, I was at that game as well and I do remember two things about that game. RPI beat Brock 15-0 and the Brock goalie made 32 saves, in the SECOND period. He was so tired that he had to be helped off the ice by his teammates at the end of the period. And no, he did not play the third period.
          As far as what year it took place, all I can remember is that we played Sir Wilfred Laurier either the previous week or the night before. Not really sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
            Early suggestion for the title of this season’s first game thread – “After 207 years, Brock faces Rensselaer again.”
            Great idea.

Did you mean a thread on this forum or the one on the Score Updates forum? I, for one, did not intend to start a thread on this forum because there are unlikely to be any Brock fans participating. We could make an exception.
            Last edited by Ralph Baer; 08-18-2019, 11:09 PM.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Today is 19 August 2019. There are 47 days until RPI's next game and still no rosters.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                  Great idea.

Did you mean a thread on this forum or the one on the Score Updates forum? I, for one, did not intend to start a thread on this forum because there are unlikely to be any Brock fans participating. We could make an exception.
                  I meant the thread on the Score Updates forum.

Comment

Today is 20 August 2019. There are 46 days until RPI's next game and still no rosters.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Re: RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020: Nordic Combined

The team RPI will play 48 days hence is Brock University, whose main campus is located in St. Catharines, ON.

Although augenblick.org does not acknowledge that such a game was played, I recollect attending a game between Brock and RPI at the Field House, probably sometime in the 1970’s. As I recall, RPI won handily. Perhaps the game was considered a preseason exhibition rather than an official game.

History lesson (don't worry, you'll find something interesting about this ) - Brock University, which opened in 1964, was named after Maj. Gen. Sir Isaac Brock of the British Army. Despite being given little to work with, Brock successfully organized a defense of Upper Canada against American incursions during the first year of the War of 1812. Brock is credited with capturing Fort Detroit and with a decisive victory at the Battle of Queenston Heights, though Brock himself was killed during the battle. Brock’s efforts during the War of 1812 earned him renown as the “Hero of Upper Canada.”

The commander of the American forces at the Battle of Queenston Heights was a relatively inexperienced militia general. He labored under several handicaps, notably the fact that some of the regular army officers under his command, resenting the fact that a militia officer had been elevated to be their superior, simply refused to cooperate with him. Even worse, when the initial attack faltered and the commander tried to send reinforcements, many of the militia troops under his command refused to obey his order to cross the Niagara River to join in the fray and help the Americans on the other side. Their objection was based on the ground that the Constitution only required them to defend the territory within the boundaries of the United States, not to cross the boundary and take action on the other side.

The American commander, unlike Brock, survived the Battle of Queenston Heights, but when all was said and done, he had to face the fact that he had lost the battle and lost it badly. After the debacle, he wisely concluded that continuing to pursue a military career wouldn’t be a good idea for him. He resigned his commission and went back to civilian life. Twelve years later, he founded an institution of higher learning.

Who was this American commander? None other than our very own Stephen Van Rensselaer.

This is one of the things i have missed by not posting lately. Fascinating history lesson and greatly appreciated. BTW RPI Fan For Life is indeed correct about our facing Brock in the past. It had to be before 1975 as I know that Jenny was not with me for that game. It was an exhibition but I cannot recall if it was preseason or during the regular season.
                      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                        This is one of the things i have missed by not posting lately. Fascinating history lesson and greatly appreciated. BTW RPI Fan For Life is indeed correct about our facing Brock in the past. It had to be before 1975 as I know that Jenny was not with me for that game. It was an exhibition but I cannot recall if it was preseason or during the regular season.
                        Are you new here? Welcome. Have fun!
                        Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Today is 21 August 2019. There are 45 days until RPI's next game and still no rosters.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                            We must be getting close to game time if the good doctor is posting again.
                            LGR
                            Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                            Benjamin Franklin
                            The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                            Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                              We must be getting close to game time if the good doctor is posting again.
                              LGR
                              45 days and counting.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I meant the thread on the Score Updates forum.
                                Good. If I start the thread, I will do that.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X