X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020: Nordic Combined

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    We also seemed to improve as the Clarkson game went on which never seemed to happen under SA. We were greatly outplayed in the first period, but things got more even as the game wore on. If Clarkson is indeed a top team in the country, that shows that we should at least get home ice in the first round of the ECAC playoffs and have at least an outside shot at a bye.
    At the end of the first period, I was ready to leave. They looked horrible. But by the end of the game I wanted it to go on. Clarkson is a very good team. They possess and move the puck very well. They pass well. And they are where they should be on the ice. RPI's power play looked like they had just learned it and it was like watching in slow motion. Then they decided to compete. I am sure it was an eye opener for Clarkson. Should be a very interesting game in their rink. I was very impressed with Babichuk. He reminded me of Gostisbehere. Lots of poise and confidence on the ice. Fun to watch. And if teams start to focus on him, it will open the ice for others. As I said at the end of last year being hard to play against, skating for 60 minutes, and having fun on the ice will make this team fun to watch. For the first time in a while I am encouraged and excited for what's to come.

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
      I just noticed that both the roster and stats pages from Saturday’s program listed Cory Babichuk as a forward. I don’t think I’ve seen him play any other position besides defense. Was that a typo or was/is there a plan for him to do “a Brutlag” and move up front?
      Originally posted by sezenack View Post
      He played defenseman in both games. The RPI Athletics website still lists him as a defenseman as well
      As sez said, the collegehockeystats box score has him as a defenseman for both games. That has historically been the best source for those things in my experience.
      RPI Pep Band
      GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
      🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
      2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
      2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

• Originally posted by 25+years View Post
        At the end of the first period, I was ready to leave. They looked horrible. But by the end of the game I wanted it to go on. Clarkson is a very good team. They possess and move the puck very well. They pass well. And they are where they should be on the ice. RPI's power play looked like they had just learned it and it was like watching in slow motion. Then they decided to compete. I am sure it was an eye opener for Clarkson. Should be a very interesting game in their rink. I was very impressed with Babichuk. He reminded me of Gostisbehere. Lots of poise and confidence on the ice. Fun to watch. And if teams start to focus on him, it will open the ice for others. As I said at the end of last year being hard to play against, skating for 60 minutes, and having fun on the ice will make this team fun to watch. For the first time in a while I am encouraged and excited for what's to come.
        Agree on Babichuck he seems to see the game well not sure he's in Gostisbehere's class yet but hopefully he'll be that guy in a couple of years.
        What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
          As sez said, the collegehockeystats box score has him as a defenseman for both games. That has historically been the best source for those things in my experience.
          Not only was he playing defense, but it was telling that Smith had him at the point when we were trying for a tie in the closing seconds on Saturday. That’s why the twin listings of him as a forward seemed surprising. Brutlag was a good player, but I’m really hoping that Babichuk becomes more of a Bailen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Smith must have seen something in Babichuk since he kept him and he was an Appert recruit. He got rid of many others. I too doubt that he will be in Gostisbehere's class, but even close to that will still be very useful.

Edit: Considering that he was a teammate of Foo2 several years ago, it is a bit surprising that Union did not get them.
            Last edited by Ralph Baer; 11-11-2019, 10:14 PM.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy View Post
              I think that may be slightly optimistic Ralph although Saturday was a good effort againsta very good team. I saw a game totally controlled by Clarkson but to Our credit we pushed back several times but when we did Clarkson seemed to step back on the gas then they completely shut down the 3rd period they had 4 shots we had 5. Our fate begins and ends with goaltending but for great goaltending and a few timely goal posts that was a different game but hey I'll take a close game against an Elite team ...besides what the heck do I know
              I agree with this viewpoint. Some great goaltending and a few friendly pipes kept it from being a blow out. We allowed way to much free skating and never registered a worthwhile body check until at least the 2nd period. Skilled teams like CCT, Harvard, Cornell, etc. will run roughshod over us if we don't disrupt their movements entering our zone. We were easy to play against on Saturday night because CCT knew they weren't going to get to get hit...very similar to the Saturday night home effort vs. Union.

Babichuk is certainly an offensive talent, but I'm old school and like my defensemen to play defense first....and he needs some work to be competent on the back end.
              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                I agree with this viewpoint. Some great goaltending and a few friendly pipes kept it from being a blow out. We allowed way to much free skating and never registered a worthwhile body check until at least the 2nd period. Skilled teams like CCT, Harvard, Cornell, etc. will run roughshod over us if we don't disrupt their movements entering our zone. We were easy to play against on Saturday night because CCT knew they weren't going to get to get hit...very similar to the Saturday night home effort vs. Union.

Babichuk is certainly an offensive talent, but I'm old school and like my defensemen to play defense first....and he needs some work to be competent on the back end.
                Perceptive as usual. Early it certainly seemed like we were almost afraid to hit. Perhaps the way officials are calling these early season games, or perhaps not. We certainly are taking among the fewest penalties in the nation and that is most definitely not RPI hatchet hockey from the past. As you say, though, you can get away with that against teams you can out skate and maneuver against but you cannot against those big squads who just hit and push you off the puck (CCT for sure, UMass for sure, Cornell and Harvard most likely). As the game went on I do think we started to push back a bit more but it might only have been my imagination and it could have been Clarkson playing a bit more defensive with a 2-0 lead late. In any case, you have it spot on. If we do not develop a more aggressive philosophy we could be toast against the top ECAC teams we have yet to face.
                Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

We also seemed to improve as the Clarkson game went on which never seemed to happen under SA. We were greatly outplayed in the first period, but things got more even as the game wore on. If Clarkson is indeed a top team in the country, that shows that we should at least get home ice in the first round of the ECAC playoffs and have at least an outside shot at a bye.
                  There is no question that even when we have played poorly over the past couple years, this coach tries to make adaptations during the game. Both on the fly and between periods he seems to recognize what is happening and tries to make whatever changes he can at the time. Not always do these work but that is a function of not having the personnel to make those on ice changes. We are a .500 team right now overall and in the ECAC. Not something to do cartwheels over but still an improvement worth noting and after the past 2 season, something many of us would take for the season leading to a hope for a better future.
                  Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

If anyone can improve on my score here https://board.uscho.com/showthread.p...=1#post6864451, please do so.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

If anyone can improve on my score here https://board.uscho.com/showthread.p...=1#post6864451, please do so.
                      Jeff Prendergast on D? I think that's a net zero over your current score. How do you score Jacques de St. Phalle?
                      Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
                        Jeff Prendergast on D? I think that's a net zero over your current score. How do you score Jacques de St. Phalle?
                        There are a lot of ties. I did mention de St. Phalle and asked for the a judgment. I never saw St spelled out, but it would be 13 if it were.
                        Did any of our Lees play D?

BTW, de St. Phalle's son is a Wisconsin recruit which is where he went for his senior year.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

With a broadcast team of Moy and....I can’t think of anyone on WRPI with a long last name
                          Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                            There is no question that even when we have played poorly over the past couple years, this coach tries to make adaptations during the game. Both on the fly and between periods he seems to recognize what is happening and tries to make whatever changes he can at the time. Not always do these work but that is a function of not having the personnel to make those on ice changes. We are a .500 team right no overall and in the ECAC. Not something to do cartwheels over but still an improvement worth noting and after the past 2 season, something many of us would take for the season leading to a hope for a better future.
                            Doc I believe the League is weak this year there are 3 Elite teams cocked & loaded the rest of the league is a crap shoot that presents opportunity for a couple of teams to step up and seperate from the pack one of the ways do do that is have your goalie steal a couple of games so if we can overachieve and ride Savory good things could happen but that's why they play the games.
                            What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
                              With a broadcast team of Moy and....I can’t think of anyone on WRPI with a long last name
                              a
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                                a
                                Actually, Rob has a longer last name than I do. 😮
                                Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Working...
                                X