X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020: Nordic Combined

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    I don't know what "better" means.... . I do know that the better teams in our league are traveling in the early going:

Cornell @ MSU 11/1-11/2
    Q@ ASU 11/1- 11/2
    CCT @ UM 10/11- 10/12
    CCT @ Sconny 10/25-10/26
    Princeton @ St Cloud 11/1-11/2
    Note that the MSU team that Cornell will be playing is Michigan State, not second-ranked Minnesota State.

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy View Post
      Doc I'm sure you were into the Van Gogh last night but after about 2 minutes into the first period we were never in the game the ECAC refs tried to even it up a little in the 3rd with penalties but it didn't help. That's just my humble opinion from the cheap seats
      Not posting during the games has allowed for me to really concentrate on watching and listening. So far there is much to be happy about and quite a bit to also be concerned about. But after 4 games to have the goals scored at 17 and the goals against at 15 is a half full glass of vodka. I would love to see an RPI team average over 4 goals scored per game but until and unless we get that goals aginst number down well below 3, we will not be able to compete well against the better teams.
      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
        Not posting during the games has allowed for me to really concentrate on watching and listening. So far there is much to be happy about and quite a bit to also be concerned about. But after 4 games to have the goals scored at 17 and the goals against at 15 is a half full glass of vodka. I would love to see an RPI team average over 4 goals scored per game but until and unless we get that goals aginst number down well below 3, we will not be able to compete well against the better teams.
        So far the only team which we have faced which probably will turn out to be a better team is UMass. We did compete against them, certainly better than Union did this weekend. We probably are better than a year ago which is really all that we can hope for. We need to continue to get better players. Winning more will allow us to keep the ones which we recruit who perhaps only commit to us because they know that they can now decommit if something better comes along.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

It is nice to see some goals for a change, but I will reserve comments until we play some ECAC teams.
          As for the defense, we have some young defensemen, and they look to be pretty talented. However, they are running around in our defensive zone and very often out of position. Practice and experience should fix that. I just hope it doesn't take too long.
          Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
          Benjamin Franklin
          The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
          Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
            It is nice to see some goals for a change, but I will reserve comments until we play some ECAC teams.
            As for the defense, we have some young defensemen, and they look to be pretty talented. However, they are running around in our defensive zone and very often out of position. Practice and experience should fix that. I just hope it doesn't take too long.
            Watching all of the games so far, our young defense has a lot of work to do but you are indeed correct - there is talent there and some size. One big problem seems to be picking up the opponent's players who trail the play and jump in late. Some of that has to be done by our defense men but even more has to be done by back checking forwards. We just have not found the key to that as yet. Perhaps coaching and practice will gradually work that out but too often we are finding a wide open player joining the play against us either coming in totally free, becoming part of an odd man rush, or simply standing a few feet outside the crease. I am fairly sure this has been noted by our coaching staff and they are already working on it in practice.
            I have always felt that defense is the hardest part of hockey and takes longer to learn and even lnger to put into practice as a cohesive team effort. Not sure if and when we can get it done but suspect the goals against will come down accordingly.

Comment

Just looked at our scoring over the past 2 decades. The only time we scored as many as 17 goals in the first 4 games I believe was the 2004-2005 season (15 years ago) and the last time we scored more than 17 was the 2001-2001 season - a total of 19 goals (18 years ago). Of course much of this may be dependent upon the competition and this year that may not stack up well against our usual first 4 opponents. Not an absolute comparison but some years like 2011-2012 it took us until our 15th game to score our 17th goal.
              Although this may all be comparing apples to potatoes, still nice to see a bit of offensive explosion early in the season.

Comment

Just looked at our scoring over the past 2 decades. The only time we scored as many as 17 goals in the first 4 games I believe was the 2004-2005 season (15 years ago) and the last time we scored more than 17 was the 2001-2001 season - a total of 19 goals (18 years ago). Of course much of this may be dependent upon the competition and this year that may not stack up well against our usual first 4 opponents. Not an absolute comparison but some years like 2011-2012 it took us until our 15th game to score our 17th goal.
                Although this may all be comparing apples to potatoes, still nice to see a bit of offensive explosion early in the season.
                And our women's team is not on track to come close to scoring 17 goals during the entire season.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

The most encouraging part of scoring 17 goals this early is that Zieky, Gornall and Hallbauer have not yet contributed.
                  Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                  Benjamin Franklin
                  The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                  Gary Player

Comment

• Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                    The most encouraging part of scoring 17 goals this early is that Zieky, Gornall and Hallbauer have not yet contributed.
                    Zieky has 2 goals in the first 4 games. I’m not sure why you say he i hasn’t contributed. As for Gornall he had 1 goal in 21 games last year. I’m not sure what level of contribution your expecting from him.

Comment

Originally posted by Noresmen View Post
                      Zieky has 2 goals in the first 4 games. I’m not sure why you say he i hasn’t contributed. As for Gornall he had 1 goal in 21 games last year. I’m not sure what level of contribution your expecting from him.
                      I watch Gornall carefully. My kind of player. He is always in the middle of everything and works his behind off every shift. Makes an impact and not afraid to do the dirty work. Give me a couple more like him anytime. Zieky is streaky (like the way that sounds!) and can just get hot quickly. Another that can play on my team. Really like the 2 K's on defense and can't wait to see them stay for 4 years and solidify this defense. Potential is for us to be much better than the last couple years. Not 1985 better, but better none the less.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                        And our women's team is not on track to come close to scoring 17 goals during the entire season.
                        A bit early for me to make much out of the fact that we have scored 17 in the first four games but the last two years we scored overall 69 and 73 total. Those were the lowest offensive outputs since that notorious season (so well remembered by you and me) of 1965-1966. Although I am a believer that defense wins hockey games in the NCAA, and that if we can keep our GAA close to 2 we should have a fairly successful season, there is no doubt that you simply have to score some goals. In the recent past it seemed like we need to at least total 100+ over the season to have any chance for an above .500 record. I am not yet convinced we have the offense to maintain this pace of 4+ goals per game, but if we can just even score 3 it would be a marked improvement from what we have seen the past couple season.
                        You are correct of course that the ladies really need to get some offense going to compete in any games at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                          A bit early for me to make much out of the fact that we have scored 17 in the first four games but the last two years we scored overall 69 and 73 total. Those were the lowest offensive outputs since that notorious season (so well remembered by you and me) of 1965-1966. Although I am a believer that defense wins hockey games in the NCAA, and that if we can keep our GAA close to 2 we should have a fairly successful season, there is no doubt that you simply have to score some goals. In the recent past it seemed like we need to at least total 100+ over the season to have any chance for an above .500 record. I am not yet convinced we have the offense to maintain this pace of 4+ goals per game, but if we can just even score 3 it would be a marked improvement from what we have seen the past couple season.
                          You are correct of course that the ladies really need to get some offense going to compete in any games at all.
                          last night was fun to watch don't get me wrong but if we play like that against good teams it's going to be a long year it was very much like a pond hockey game and Canisius had Savory beat dead to rights 3 times on A+ chances and hit the post then mucked up a 2 on 0 so we need some tightening up to say the least but hey 7 goals is 7 goals I'll take that as a good sign. Another good sign is Babichuck looks to be as advertised good skater good hands good decisions that's really good news...Go Red !
                          What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Some stats for reference:
                            4.25 GPG (t-7th in the country)
                            40% PP (2nd in the country)
                            91.67% PK (14th in the country)
                            The killer is 3.75 GAPG which is 5th to last in the country (56th)
                            There's a lot of good things to be excited about but that defense is very worrisome. On the brightside, Savory had a big game last night, and I think he has shaken off the rust. He keeps playing like that, and we get more structured on D: we're looking at a very good team.

Comment

This could be the first time in about a decade that RPI will probably be favored against Union. Of course that means little in what is regarded as a rivalry game.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Was Mike Sadeghpour at one or both of the games?
                                Was Shirley?

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X