Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

I should change my name to "Chuck Murray Fan Club" ... what a silly remark. "21st century journalism for you" - as if these sites aren't basically volunteer efforts, and as if we are trying to solve world peace here or something. My goodness. A commissioner of a hockey league is not being renewed. Stop making it sound like it's so friggin mysterious that it requires Woodward and Bernstein.

Comment

C'mon guys. There's a story behind the story that isn't being reported. How did the sentiment to not extend the contract get started in the first place? Which AD(s) was/were the prime mover(s)? How united (or not) were the ADs as a group on the final decision? Did something else other than change for it's own sake play into this? Can't believe the USCHO and CHN reporting staffs haven't been able to find anyone who can fill in at least some of the blanks.
      "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Of course there's a "story behind the story". If no one ever talks publicly about it, there's nothing to report. Y'all's metrics about what constitutes good journalism are messed up.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyFanClub View Post
          I should change my name to "Chuck Murray Fan Club" ... what a silly remark. "21st century journalism for you" - as if these sites aren't basically volunteer efforts, and as if we are trying to solve world peace here or something. My goodness. A commissioner of a hockey league is not being renewed. Stop making it sound like it's so friggin mysterious that it requires Woodward and Bernstein.
          I didn't realize getting paid was a prerequisite for being able to ask penetrating questions.

Like a, y'know, real journalist? I guess some of us just aren't the inquisitive, curious types, and are content to just suck down a convenient narrative, or will happily settle for a superficial pass at a story that bypasses those uncomfortable queries about "why" or "who" or "what" or "when" etc. Whatever floats your boat, SFC.

Bertagna has been running a D-1 league for 20+ years, and was even deemed "legendary" by one of the so-called reporters of the story. The "story" then skips all of those nagging "W's" they teach you to ask in journalism class (or at least they used to teach it) and focuses on 10 folks the reporter believes are in line as the possible successor. If you're one of those few folks in the running, or you're part of that cloistered network of insiders, then I'm sure you loved the story. But I'm willing to bet that more of us who are outside that bubble are more interested in gaining some insight into the "why's" and the "who's" of the decision to show Joey Buttons the door.

If having the nerve to expect folks to dig a little deeper for a real story offends you, my apologies. The line for the safe spaces forms on the left, move along …
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Since being paid isn't a requirement and this is all so easy, I dont know why you guys don't just call the schools, ask the questions, and write the report yourselves?

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
              Since being paid isn't a requirement and this is all so easy, I dont know why you guys don't just call the schools, ask the questions, and write the report yourselves?
              Seriously
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by therevengeance View Post
                since being paid isn't a requirement and this is all so easy, i dont know why you guys don't just call the schools, ask the questions, and write the report yourselves?
                ^^^

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                  ...Like a, y'know, real journalist?...
                  Plan B if your HEA commish bid falls short? Get in there, Dude!
                  Last edited by Darius; 08-06-2019, 10:37 AM.
                  I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by tape View Post
                    Of course there's a "story behind the story". If no one ever talks publicly about it, there's nothing to report.
                    You can read between the lines for the story behind the story, and we talked about it on our podcast. Hockey East is looking to go in a different direction and emphasize marketing and revenue, like UVM's AD said. All the Hockey East schools need to do is look at the NCHC's national TV contract, digital platform, and NCAA tournament success and say, "We want that, too." So they're looking for a different skill set as commissioner.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
                      You can read between the lines for the story behind the story, and we talked about it on our podcast. Hockey East is looking to go in a different direction and emphasize marketing and revenue, like UVM's AD said. All the Hockey East schools need to do is look at the NCHC's national TV contract, digital platform, and NCAA tournament success and say, "We want that, too." So they're looking for a different skill set as commissioner.
                      That has to be one of the most delusional things I’ve ever read.
                      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Would it make some of you feel better if Jimmy just made up quotes and fabricated his story to suit your needs? Should he go to the houses of the AD's in question and hold a gun to their head to make them talk? Or would you prefer he wildly speculate based on nothing? We have those people, especially in national politics. Those aren't journalists and real journalists don't take them seriously. Neither should you, but that ship has already sailed.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                          That has to be one of the most delusional things I’ve ever read.
                          You need to read more.

Comment

Hope all goes well under Bertagna's leadership.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                              Would it make some of you feel better if Jimmy just made up quotes and fabricated his story to suit your needs? Should he go to the houses of the AD's in question and hold a gun to their head to make them talk? Or would you prefer he wildly speculate based on nothing?
                              Didn't stop "Jimmy" from wildly speculating about a list of same old, same old potential replacements?
                              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
                                You need to read more.
                                Ha, I wasn’t having a go at you. Are there many people who think thy marketing is the problem? I’m not sure it is one of Hockey East’s top 10 issues. The league has had a lot of the excitement and buzz taken out of it over the course of the last however many years and a return to the glory days seems a long ways off. I hope the league can turn things, but don’t see it happening at this moment in time.
                                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Working...
                                X