Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
    We could look at the parents who gave them safe spaces and participation trophies instead of teaching them coping skills. Nah! It's easier just to mock them.
    No, actually helicopter parents and their snowflake kids can share equally in their deserved mocking.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
      The St. Paul FF had UMD. With no home team in Buffalo, the games did not sell out. I will also remind Watcher that “lowering student ticket prices” actually means “lowering the student athletic fee.” And that’s not going to happen. There are approximately 14,000 undergraduates at UNH. Every last one of them, from the guy who mans the cowbell to the computer science geek who spends 18 hours day at the lab, pays that fee, which is north of a $1,000 per semester. UNH, or any other school, is not going to give that money,,or a portion of it, up.
      It is up to that much now? I been out of UNH a little too long now but that fee when I was there also went to Campus Recreation too.
      Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
        I will also remind Watcher that “lowering student ticket prices” actually means “lowering the student athletic fee.” And that’s not going to happen. There are approximately 14,000 undergraduates at UNH. Every last one of them, from the guy who mans the cowbell to the computer science geek who spends 18 hours day at the lab, pays that fee, which is north of a $1,000 per semester. UNH, or any other school, is not going to give that money,,or a portion of it, up.
        For the 2017-18 school year UNH athletics reported $13,384,510 in student fees.

Sean
        Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
        Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
        BU Hockey highlights and extras
        NCAA Hockey Financials
        Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
        I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
          Yes, I am serious. Sure, there are plenty of minimum wage (or slightly better) jobs but there isn't a single county in this country where you can get an apartment on minimum wage. In most places you would have to work two jobs and find a roommate who also works two jobs. The American Dream!
          min wage isn't for kollege grads (unless you a lib arts sociology major!)
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
            min wage isn't for kollege grads (unless you a lib arts sociology major!)
            No it isn't, but that's what is being offered. There are jobs for people with Master's Degrees going for $15/hour.

Comment

With respect, I can't figure out from where you're getting your economic information. The July jobless rate was 3.7%, which is well within most definitions of "full employment." And as for people with Masters degrees not being able to find anything but minimum wage jobs, they either 1) Aren't looking; 2) Aren't looking in the right places; 3) Have a paper degree from an online diploma mill that employers can smell a mile away; or 4) Have a degree in some niche field where scarce jobs are available only in museums and certain research houses.

And as for that minimum wage, $15/hr equates to $600/wk, assuming a standard 8-hr workday and 5-day workweek. Extrapolate that out to a four-week month and you have $2,400. I live on the edge of Washington DC and I can tell you that you can rent a clean, respectable, functional apartment for a lot less than that. Of course, it won't be downtown, won't have concierge service or a gym, and maybe you won't be able to have restaurant meals all the time, but it will do until you do what you have to do to find something better.
              Last edited by Split-N; 07-29-2019, 09:18 AM.
              "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                With respect, I can't figure out from where you're getting your economic information. The July jobless rate was 3.7%, which is well within most definitions of "full employment." And as for people with Masters degrees not being able to find anything but minimum wage jobs, they either 1) Aren't looking in the right places; 2) Have a paper degree from an online diploma mill that employers can smell a mile away; or 3) Have a degree in some niche field where jobs are available only in museums and certain research houses.

And as for that minimum wage, $15/hr equates to $600/wk, assuming a standard 8-hr workday and 5-day workweek. Extrapolate that out to a four-week month and you have $2,400. I live on the edge of Washington DC and I can tell you that you can rent a clean, respectable, functional apartment for a lot less than that. Of course, it's not downtown, doesn't have concierge service or a gym, and maybe you won't be able to have restaurant meals all the time, but it will do until you can do what you have to do to find something better.
                And that is where the wage starts. One of the major differences in the millenials is that they don't understand or aren't prepared to start at the bottom and work their way up. Somehow, they were filled with the idea that they are too good to start at the bottom. It starts with the participation ribbons. I remember taking my son to a hockey camp in the Spring when he was 9. The camp was lead by a school teacher who had coached for years and had a son who had gone to play in the NHL. My son was late to start hockey for a Canadian and so he wanted to catch up. The head of the camp started by talking about respect for the game and your opponent and the officials. He was going on and on and like most school teachers at the time he was talking about how winning doesn't matter, etc. Then, one of the kids asked him if it is okay to want to be the best. He said, "Of course! They keep scores and stats for a reason." I was relieved and my son continued to attend his extra camps for a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                  The glory days are over for us here in HE and all of college hockey. And while it has little to do with the hockey discussion, I assure you millennials really really really do suck. And I'd like to point out these young, whiny, dumb people that cannot put their phones down are NOT special; we had significant student debt too we just didn't whine about it like crybabies for attention and worked to pay it off because we had a sense of responsibility to pay it off rather than having a completely unfounded sense of entitlement. And while people my age now displace a grumpy generation of baby boomers, we respect the path they paved and carry that torch to some degree.... just with things like Excel and not an abacus.
                  Average tuition, room, and board at all 4-year universities in 1979: $2,917. Inflation adjusted for 2015: $9,643.
                  Average tuition, room, and board at all 4-year universities in 1989: $7,212. Inflation adjusted for 2015: $13,959.
                  Average tuition, room, and board at all 4-year universities in 1999: $11,888. Inflation adjusted for 2015: $17,126.
                  Average tuition, room, and board at all 4-year universities in 2009: $22,654. Inflation adjusted for 2015: $25,343.
                  Average tuition, room, and board at all 4-year universities in 2015: $39,529.

Average first year's salary for bachelor's degree holder, 1979: $16,692. Inflation adjusted for 2015: $51,683. 5.7x yearly tuition costs.
                  Average first year's salary for bachelor's degree holder, 1989: $26,297. Inflation adjusted for 2015: $49,487. 3.6x yearly tuition costs.
                  Average first year's salary for bachelor's degree holder, 1999: $35,595. Inflation adjusted for 2015: $50,218. 3.0x yearly tuition costs.
                  Average first year's salary for bachelor's degree holder, 2009: $48,633. Inflation adjusted for 2015: $53,451. 2.1x yearly tuition costs.
                  Average first year's salary for bachelor's degree holder, 2015: $50,219. Inflation adjusted for 2015: $50,219. 1.3x yearly tuition costs.

But yes, tell us how much you enjoyed walking uphill both ways in those snowstorms.

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

why is tape asking people to look up at mookie's post?

Originally posted by tape View Post
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                        Average tuition, room, and board at all 4-year universities in 1979: $2,917. Inflation adjusted for 2015: $9,643.
                        Average tuition, room, and board at all 4-year universities in 1989: $7,212. Inflation adjusted for 2015: $13,959.
                        Average tuition, room, and board at all 4-year universities in 1999: $11,888. Inflation adjusted for 2015: $17,126.
                        Average tuition, room, and board at all 4-year universities in 2009: $22,654. Inflation adjusted for 2015: $25,343.
                        Average tuition, room, and board at all 4-year universities in 2015: $39,529.

Average first year's salary for bachelor's degree holder, 1979: $16,692. Inflation adjusted for 2015: $51,683. 5.7x yearly tuition costs.
                        Average first year's salary for bachelor's degree holder, 1989: $26,297. Inflation adjusted for 2015: $49,487. 3.6x yearly tuition costs.
                        Average first year's salary for bachelor's degree holder, 1999: $35,595. Inflation adjusted for 2015: $50,218. 3.0x yearly tuition costs.
                        Average first year's salary for bachelor's degree holder, 2009: $48,633. Inflation adjusted for 2015: $53,451. 2.1x yearly tuition costs.
                        Average first year's salary for bachelor's degree holder, 2015: $50,219. Inflation adjusted for 2015: $50,219. 1.3x yearly tuition costs.

But yes, tell us how much you enjoyed walking uphill both ways in those snowstorms.
                        lesson -- see what happens when one shoots for average?

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                          ...But yes, tell us how much you enjoyed walking uphill both ways in those snowstorms.
                          Barefoot and wearing shorts, too.
                          "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                            This is what happens when the Comm Ave Axis goes Beanpot-less for three years and wins the HEA Tournament only twice since 2013. But seriously, there has to be a story behind the story here. I'd like to get some insight on how the decision to let the contract expire was reached, which institutions were pushing it, and how united (or not) the ADs were WRT extending the contract. The USCHO and CHN stories went only so far.

I don't know Joe personally but have always had great respect for him and wish him all the best.
                            I'm really disappointed with the lack of original reporting as to EXACTLY WHY Bertagna is being let go. Between USCHO and CHN, I've read three columns and two staff reports and no one has said exactly why he's leaving. And of course knowledgeable fans through speculation are providing more insight into what is going on here than the internet's two largest supposed news sites for college hockey.

You mean no one at USCHO or CHN can get any ADs or associate ADs or univ presidents on the phone and get them to say why he's not being renewed? Give me a break.
                            CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                              You got to wonder how much in the pocket Jim and Wodon were with Bertagna as there are no quotes in here from AD's that ended up removing him. At least get them off the record on their opinions.
                              Yep. Five stories and not ONE of them have any reporting on why exactly he's not calling him back. Hell call him and ask him to say on background why he thinks he's not bringing returned and have him be specific.
                              CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Dream No. 2 View Post
                                Yep. Five stories and not ONE of them have any reporting on why exactly he's not calling him back. Hell call him and ask him to say on background why he thinks he's not bringing returned and have him be specific.
                                The audio of Bertagna's conference call is on the Hockey East web site. He was asked - he said he doesn't know. He then goes into speculation, which includes many topics discussed here and in the aforementioned articles. Have a listen.

Comment

Working...
                                X