Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

A question in the Maine thread got me to spend some time looking at the average attendance for each team vs. every other league team from the 2014-15 season to date (I only have the detailed information for all teams to then). Here are each team's average attendance in order. I have bolded the 4 America East teams:
    Boston College
    Boston University 7791
    Providence 5829
    Massachusetts 5167
    Connecticut 4897
    Maine 4709
    UMass Lowell 4538

Northeastern 3748
    Vermont 3733
    New Hampshire 3462

Merrimack 2805

Boston University
    Boston College 5098
    Maine 4175
    Providence 3947
    Massachusetts 3862
    UMass Lowell 3844
    Northeastern 3732
    Vermont 3559
    New Hampshire 3538

Merrimack 3340
    Connecticut 3117

Connecticut
    Boston College 5818
    New Hampshire 5023
    Boston University 4871
    Merrimack 4644
    Northeastern 4355
    Providence 4322
    Maine 4303
    Vermont 4151
    UMass Lowell 4151

Massachusetts 3790

Maine
    New Hampshire 4644
    Boston College 4525
    Boston University 4476
    UMass Lowell 4010
    Massachusetts 3656
    Merrimack 3391
    Northeastern 3363
    Providence 3107
    Vermont 2930
    Connecticut 2435

Massachusetts
    Boston College 5202
    Boston University 4893
    Connecticut 3526
    New Hampshire 3318
    Maine 3242

Providence 2961
    Vermont 2899
    Northeastern 2713
    UMass Lowell 2345
    Merrimack 2315

UMass Lowell
    Boston College 6107
    Providence 5559
    Boston University 5213
    Vermont 5139
    Massachusetts 4906
    Maine 4895
    Merrimack 4879
    New Hampshire 4578
    Northeastern 4436
    Connecticut 4063

Merrimack
    Boston University 2461
    Maine 2358
    Massachusetts 2306
    Northeastern 2249
    Vermont 2238
    Connecticut 2215
    New Hampshire 2190
    Boston College 2029
    UMass Lowell 2020
    Providence 2013

New Hampshire
    Maine 6134
    Massachusetts 4967
    Boston College 4906
    Connecticut 4776
    Northeastern 4739
    Providence 4643
    UMass Lowell 4355
    Boston University 4342
    Merrimack 3897
    Vermont 3483

Northeastern
    Boston University 3654
    Massachusetts 2808
    New Hampshire 2666
    Providence 2361
    Boston College 2291
    Connecticut 2154
    Vermont 2113
    UMass Lowell 2055

Merrimack 1922
    Maine 1790

Providence
    Northeastern 2814
    Boston University 2760
    UMass Lowell 2730
    Connecticut 2680
    Boston College 2630
    Maine 2361
    Massachusetts 2331
    New Hampshire 2322
    Merrimack 2280
    Vermont 2244

Vermont
    New Hampshire 3840
    Merrimack 3803
    Boston College 3789
    Connecticut 3778
    Boston University 3772
    Massachusetts 3449
    UMass Lowell 3387
    Maine 3333

Northeastern 2939
    Providence 2680

If a breakup occurred I see the 4 original non-America East teams (BU, BC, NU, PC) joining with UMass and UConn to form a new Hockey East. However, the article on CHN implies that the idea of being part of America East was not well received and not likely to happen.

Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
    BU Hockey highlights and extras
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
      What's the big deal? America East is simply pushing to administer the conference under the America East banner. There are currently 4 AE schools in Hockey East.....along with 1 ACC, 1 Big East, 1 AAC, 1 NEC, 1 A-10, 1 Patriot & 1 CAA. Anyone see why AE & the AE ADs are pushing for this? Why not? Hockey East administration has been a dinosaur for the last 5 years in marketing the conference and social media presence. Maybe it's time for some new blood to run things.
      Yes, I'm positive that BC, BU, PC, Northeastern, UMass, and UConn are very interested in the folks at Stony Brook, Albany, and Binghamton having a say in how a hockey conference is run.
      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
        Yes, I'm positive that BC, BU, PC, Northeastern, UMass, and UConn are very interested in the folks at Stony Brook, Albany, and Binghamton having a say in how a hockey conference is run.
        Why would they be interested if Stony Brook, Albany & Binghamton have no say in how a hockey conference is run since Stony Brook, Albany & Binghamton have no hockey programs?

Do some of you guys understand how collegiate conference administration works? CAA Football is a great example.....it is marketed & administered by the CAA....and that is it. Maine and numerous other schools have a say and a vote in CAA Football stuff......however, they have no say or vote in other CAA matters pertaining to other sports......because they are not members of the CAA in other sports. Do some of you not get that?

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
          . However, the article on CHN implies that the idea of being part of America East was not well received and not likely to happen.

Sean
          because the idea was akin to dudes sitting around and one asking "hey, how about we each grab a hammer and smash each others nuts"

umlololol indeed
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Why would they be interested if Stony Brook, Albany & Binghamton have no say in how a hockey conference is run since Stony Brook, Albany & Binghamton have no hockey programs?

Do some of you guys understand how collegiate conference administration works? CAA Football is a great example.....it is marketed & administered by the CAA....and that is it. Maine and numerous other schools have a say and a vote in CAA Football stuff......however, they have no say or vote in other CAA matters pertaining to other sports......because they are not members of the CAA in other sports. Do some of you not get that?
            EXACTLY!

Hockey East social media presence is retweeting the schools and that is about it. Honestly, it is a freaking joke!

America East has staff going out to interview coaches, alumni, and everyone under the sun creating content. Take a look at the America East twitter page which has a ton of ORIGINAL content

https://***********/AmericaEast
            Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

• Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post

The way the CAA handled taking over the football conference from the A-10, letting their all sports teams vote for FOOTBALL expansion, allowing teams in Georgia and Virginia and the Carolinas to join which lead to Rhode Island momentarily dropping to the NEC and UMass leaving, are why I want no part of the CAA taking over. It seems like they’ve learned a lesson, and URI came back and some SUNY schools were invited, but still. That’s not something I want repeated with Hockey East. If America East wants to run things the same way, they can likewise go to hell.

Also, screw Northeastern and Hofstra for stealing the conference and dropping football right away.
              #NewMass

Comment

Originally posted by jjmc85 View Post
                The way the CAA handled taking over the football conference from the A-10, letting their all sports teams vote for FOOTBALL expansion, allowing teams in Georgia and Virginia and the Carolinas to join which lead to Rhode Island momentarily dropping to the NEC and UMass leaving, are why I want no part of the CAA taking over. It seems like they’ve learned a lesson, and URI came back and some SUNY schools were invited, but still. That’s not something I want repeated with Hockey East. If America East wants to run things the same way, they can likewise go to hell.

Also, screw Northeastern and Hofstra for stealing the conference and dropping football right away.
                OK Boomer.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                  EXACTLY!

Hockey East social media presence is retweeting the schools and that is about it. Honestly, it is a freaking joke!

America East has staff going out to interview coaches, alumni, and everyone under the sun creating content. Take a look at the America East twitter page which has a ton of ORIGINAL content

https://***********/AmericaEast
                  I don’t think the social media matters that much. To me the much bigger issue is the scheduling. It’s gone completely to hell in the last 10 years and doesn’t show any signs of getting better. Pretty hard to understand why they would make Northeastern travel to Maine in the weekend between beanpot games.
                  Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                  Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

OK Boomer.
                    IMHO, Hockey East will seek to affiliate with America East when the NCHC seeks to affiliate with the Horizon League. BOOM.
                    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

I still don't get why America East would even be interested in this. It's worth the hassle of being in charge of another sport?

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                        I don’t think the social media matters that much. To me the much bigger issue is the scheduling. It’s gone completely to hell in the last 10 years and doesn’t show any signs of getting better. Pretty hard to understand why they would make Northeastern travel to Maine in the weekend between beanpot games.
                        A majority of Hockey East fans couldn’t name every single head coach if they were standing in front of them with no nameplates. Is this good for the league? Absolutely not and with college athletics attendance down pretty much across the country, it isn’t a good trend
                        Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

If a breakup occurred I see the 4 original non-America East teams (BU, BC, NU, PC) joining with UMass and UConn to form a new Hockey East. However, the article on CHN implies that the idea of being part of America East was not well received and not likely to happen.Sean
                          Forget this bus league proposition, look to the future and make it a public transportation league. Drop UMass and UConn and add in Holy Cross and Bentley. UML and Merrimack would not qualify because there is a 1 hour travel limit and Providence throws them out.

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
                            Forget this bus league proposition, look to the future and make it a public transportation league. Drop UMass and UConn and add in Holy Cross and Bentley. UML and Merrimack would not qualify because there is a 1 hour travel limit and Providence throws them out.
                            I like this a LOT.
                            Chris V
                            Nexton (Summerville) South Carolina

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
                              I'm confused how Holy Cross qualifies under the 1 hour travel limit.

And you may joke about it, but back when everyone played at Boston Arena I recall reading that BU got to the rink by public transportation. I believe BC and Harvard did likewise.

Sean
                              Last edited by Sean Pickett; 02-03-2020, 10:09 AM.
                              Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                              Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                              BU Hockey highlights and extras
                              NCAA Hockey Financials
                              Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                              I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

I'm confused how Holy Cross qualifies under the 1 hour travel limit.

And you may joke about it, but back when everyone played at Boston Arena I recall reading that BU got to the rink by public transportation. I believe BC and Harvard did likewise.

Sean
                                While it may be 1hr 15m by train Boston to Worcester it is less than 1 hour by car from BU, the furthest east team. Worcester is within an hour of Providence too, so if you want to blame anyone for being left out of this blame PC. But you wouldn't want to trade PC for Merrimack and UML because then it would be an odd number of teams.

Comment

Working...
                                X