Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post

I have no idea if the league would break ties the same way I did, but it makes sense to me to only break the additional ties within the tiebreaker.
    It's my understanding that in a multi-team tiebreaker, you use the tiebreaker to get 1 team that wins, then start the whole process again. So in this case, you'd determine the #1 seed, then start it again as a 7-team tie, so the records you used to determine #1 won't be the same. After you determine which team comes out of that, you start all over again with a 6-team tie, etc...
    Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
    "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Scott is 100% right, but it's also 100% not worth the effort of running 28 tiebreakers for it, you already did more than enough.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
        Scott is 100% right, but it's also 100% not worth the effort of running 28 tiebreakers for it, you already did more than enough.
        Agree. Sean always provides lots of useful information but unless this scenario comes close to happening leave it as he presented. Besides it is great to see UConn at the top and BC preparing for a trip to Hartford. If that doesn't motivate BC to turn it up a notch nothing will. That scenario is probably the .2% chance that BC doesn't make the NCAA tournament field. That is of course if they lose to UConn in that Quarterfinal.

Comment

I'd love to see Albany and Stony Brook add hockey. Would be great to get HE exposure in the Capital District as well as out on LI.

Comment

If you want exposure in NYC get a team from NYC. Not sure who it could be or where they could play but it would be interesting. I think Sacred Heart must be intent on being the 12th team with the on campus rink meeting requirements. Wouldn't be surprised if they had some discussions about it already before proceeding with their plans. Only other prominent schools that fit the footprint are of course those other 4 already mentioned, RPI, Holy Cross, URI and Quinnipiac. But how about the possibility of a D1 program in Hockey for MIT, Brandeis, Tufts or Clark. All top 100 Universities that could use a name brand sport besides swimming or track and field.

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
              But how about the possibility of a D1 program in Hockey for MIT, Brandeis, Tufts or Clark. All top 100 Universities that could use a name brand sport besides swimming or track and field.
              Unlikely to happen as those schools are D3 and are probably not going to elevate their athletic programs to D2 or D1. Besides, ice hockey is not one of the 33 men's, women's and coed varsity teams MIT currently offers.

Sean
              Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
              Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
              BU Hockey highlights and extras
              NCAA Hockey Financials
              Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
              I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
                I'd love to see Albany and Stony Brook add hockey. Would be great to get HE exposure in the Capital District as well as out on LI.
                Yes! Two more America East schools
                UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
                  It's my understanding that in a multi-team tiebreaker, you use the tiebreaker to get 1 team that wins, then start the whole process again. So in this case, you'd determine the #1 seed, then start it again as a 7-team tie, so the records you used to determine #1 won't be the same. After you determine which team comes out of that, you start all over again with a 6-team tie, etc...
                  Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
                  Scott is 100% right...
                  Is that confirmed with the league office? Hockey East has only had three 3-way ties and twice the head-to-head broke them completely. Only the last time it happened did 2 of the teams remain tied and the tiebreakers have to be reapplied. The current tiebreaker rule states "If more than two teams finish in a tie, the same criteria will be applied to reduce the number of teams tied, and then the process will commence again," but it doesn't say if it will only reduce the tie by one team (and from the top or bottom) and start again with all the remaining teams or just with the remaining tied teams (as I did). If anyone is interested I have added a sheet to my workbook with the previous 3-way ties. For the two completely broken ties dropping one team (from top or botton) and reapplying the tiebreakers didn't change the seeding order. For the third one the top 2 teams remained tied, so the bottom team was dropped and the tiebreakers were reapplied.

Sean
                  Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                  Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                  BU Hockey highlights and extras
                  NCAA Hockey Financials
                  Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                  I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

STEVE METCALF NAMED NEXT COMMISSIONER OF HOCKEY EAST
                    New Hampshire Deputy Director of Athletics Will Be Fifth Commissioner In League History

http://hockeyeastonline.com/men/arti...ockey-east.php

His wife is a senior administrator at Merrimack, as well.

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
                      If you want exposure in NYC get a team from NYC. Not sure who it could be or where they could play but it would be interesting. I think Sacred Heart must be intent on being the 12th team with the on campus rink meeting requirements. Wouldn't be surprised if they had some discussions about it already before proceeding with their plans. Only other prominent schools that fit the footprint are of course those other 4 already mentioned, RPI, Holy Cross, URI and Quinnipiac. But how about the possibility of a D1 program in Hockey for MIT, Brandeis, Tufts or Clark. All top 100 Universities that could use a name brand sport besides swimming or track and field.
                      Seriously? Yeah....let's get these dead end New England liberal arts schools & D3s instead of NY flagship schools with thousands of students, growing athletic depts & more media coverage.

Comment

Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
                        If we're talking about NY, I'd much rather see Syracuse. Already with a women's program plus a sizeable fan base and alums spread throughout the northeast. (Not holding my breath.)
                        "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
                          STEVE METCALF NAMED NEXT COMMISSIONER OF HOCKEY EAST
                          New Hampshire Deputy Director of Athletics Will Be Fifth Commissioner In League History

http://hockeyeastonline.com/men/arti...ockey-east.php

His wife is a senior administrator at Merrimack, as well.
                          Definitely not an upgrade.
                          Originally posted by mookie1995
                          bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                          Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                          Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

I was afraid HEA would go this route. Disappointing. Feels like a parochial hire. I don't get a sense that this will help address some of the issues (officiating, marketing, attendance) that the conference has been plagued with.

Comment

Nothing will make BC fans happy unless they get an invite from Big Ten hockey.

Comment

same old, same old

Comment

Working...
                                X