Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
    Can only imagine the Lowell Sun headline the following morning.
    UNH fans can only imagine..🙄
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
      UNH fans can only imagine..🙄
      Could you imagine all eight teams at the garden for playoffs in a one and done format. Now, that, would be a party.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post
        Could you imagine all eight teams at the garden for playoffs in a one and done format. Now, that, would be a party.
        HR would be so down for that!
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
          HR would be so down for that!
          I think a lot of fans would love that.

Comment

• Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
            Wouldn't this be fun?
            nightmare-scenario
            Northeastern at the top aside, I'm here for absolute chaos
            "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

In York's postgame press conference after Merrimack, he discussed the playoff format and said how it's too hard to do a format with all 11 teams with Notre Dame leaving. I like the 8 team playoff but I'm sure some don't. If they were to add a 12th team, who would people choose here?

The 3 best fits in terms of money, location and feasibility are Sacred Heart (building 4,000 person capacity arena, qualification for hockey east), Quinnipiac (would need hockey east to waive their rule, arena is ~3,400) and Holy Cross (would probably need to utilize the DCU Center for a certain number of games to be allowed in or build a new arena). Holy Cross's women's team is already in the hockey east but the qualifications are much less stringent there.

Harvard would be the ideal candidate but they'll never leave the other Ivy's in the ECAC. Bentley's new arena is too small. AIC would need to build a new arena and commit the money for scholarships. Outside the box candidates are URI which would need a donor to fund a program and Babson or Middlebury, who probably has the donor base but not the student base.

My choices: #1 Quinnipiac #2 Sacred Heart #3 Holy Cross

Comment

agree with those choices
                Quinnipiac has a beautiful arena and brings the NY market into play having had games televised on SNY cable
                Sacred Heart is committed to a new arena but is averaging about 500 at Webster Bank
                Holy Cross would be a fit but DCU center is awful

Comment

Doesn't sound like Quinnipiac is interested.

Holy Cross is already in women's league so I would have thought they might have the inside track but them playing at the DCU Center would be a disaster. So really I think Sacred Heart could be the best choice if they continue the success they are having this year.

Comment

In terms of proximity, RPI could work but I don't see that happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                      Respectfully disagree. This is the "Everyone Gets a Trophy" mentality at its worst. Yes, a good team is going to get left out in the cold but the drama that is now playing out in the standings give meaning and purpose to the regular season. Reasons for the players to being everything they have for every minute of every game and reasons for folks like us to be in the seats watching this unprecedented passion play unfold.
                      There you go.

The system as it exists is seriously stupid.

Does the RS simply exist to seed the extraneous conference tournaments?

(Apparently so.)

Comment

The only argument would be that right now there is an unbalanced schedule so whoever finishes 9th could have had a tougher schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                          Syracuse or URI would be ideal but I don't see either of those scenarios happening. Among existing programs, can't see QPac trading a conference where it can be a consistent power for a conference where it would be just one of the pack. Holy Cross seems dubious from resource and institutional commitment standpoints. If it can't support its once-dominant hoops program any better than it has, there's little reason to think it would do any better with hockey.
                          "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Wouldn't this be fun?
                            nightmare-scenario
                            Originally posted by jjmc85 View Post
                            Talk about everybody gets a trophy! Are teams listed in order of tiebreaker?
                            No, it is random. I am not going to try to figure out the tiebreakers.
                            I decided to take a look at this closer and quickly found at least four different ways this could happen. I then looked at the tiebreakers for each one. Scenario 1:

In this scenario the 8 way tie was broken using records vs the other 7 teams. UConn was awarded the #1 seed as they had the best winning percentage, PC was awarded the #2 seed, BC the #7 seed and UNH the #8 seed. The 4 way tie among the remaing teams was broken using records vs the other 3 teams. UMass was seeded #4, NU was seeded #5, BU #6 and Maine #7.

Scenario 2:

In this scenario the 8 way tie was broken using records vs the other 7 teams. UConn was awarded the #1 seed as they had the best winning percentage, PC was awarded the #2 seed, NU the #3 seed, UNH the #7 seed and BC the #8 seed. The 3 way tie among the remaing teams was broken using records vs the other 2 teams. UMass was awarded the #4 seed, then BU and Maine were compared head-to-head, which Maine won and was seeded #5 and BU #6.

Scenario 3:

In this scenario the 8 way tie was broken using records vs the other 7 teams. NU was awarded the #1 seed as they had the best winning percentage, UConn was awarded the #2 seed, PC the #3 seed, UNH the #7 seed and BC the #8 seed. The 3 way tie among the remaing teams was broken using records vs the other 2 teams. UMass was awarded the #4 seed, then BU and Maine were compared head-to-heaad, which Maine won and was seeded #5, with BU seeded #6.

Scenario 4:

In this scenario the 8 way tie was broken using records vs the other 7 teams. PC was awarded the #1 seed as they had the best winning percentage, NU was awarded the #2 seed, UConn the #3 seed, Maine the #6 seed, UNH the #7 seed and BC the #8 seed. The 2 way tie between BU and UMass was broken using the second tiebreaker. UMass was awarded the #4 seed due to more conference wins then BU, which was seeded #5.

I have no idea if the league would break ties the same way I did, but it makes sense to me to only break the additional ties within the tiebreaker. So, using my results and tiebreakers here are the possible seedings I have come up with:
                            Boston College - 7th or 8th
                            Boston University - 5th or 6th
                            Connecticut - 1st, 2nd or 3rd
                            Maine - 5th or 6th
                            Massachusetts - 3rd or 4th
                            New Hampshire - 7th or 8th
                            Northeastern - 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th
                            Providence - 1st, 2nd or 3rd

You can view the projected results I used to come up with the standings and tiebreakers here. If you do please let me know if you find any mistakes so I can correct them.

Sean
                            Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                            Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                            BU Hockey highlights and extras
                            NCAA Hockey Financials
                            Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                            I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

It's my understanding that RPI has twice declined an invitation to join Hockey East: one when the league was first formed and again before Vermont was invited to join.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                              NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by DLG View Post
                                Sacred Heart is committed to a new arena but is averaging about 500 at Webster Bank
                                So really I think Sacred Heart could be the best choice if they continue the success they are having this year.
                                Sacred Heart also has a women's team and might want both teams to join Hockey East if their men's team received an invitation to join.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                                NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Working...
                                X