Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

I will wait for Sean to tell us if game times have increased in recent years but 2:45 is a stretch. I don't think any of these Hockey East games have been going that long. Most seem to finish between 2:10-2:30. Of course, we are also using replay more than ever before so that adds time on as well.

Comment

And what is this about TV timeouts when a game isn't on TV? That doesn't make sense. Are you sure you're not talking about the midway point in the period when they come out and clean the ice?

Comment

Originally posted by Middle Street View Post
        One of the things I love about college hockey is the pace of the game and that they usually end in under 2-1/2 hrs. Adding additional OT and shootouts will add to the length of these games. Hard pass for me.
        One of the things I'm researching this season is the length of games since I noticed that BU's women's home games have gotten longer since are all now streamed with three media timeouts. For men's games this season to date the average game length is 2:22 and the median game length is 2:20. Here are the numbers for each league, as well as non-league, for all games:
        league - games - average - median
        NC - 279 - 2:22, 2:21
        AHA - 154 - 2:18, 2:15
        B1G - 84 - 2:24, 2:24
        ECAC - 132 - 2:19, 2:19
        HEA - 132 - 2:24, 2:24
        NCHC - 96 - 2:24, 2:23
        WCHA - 140 - 2:21, 2:20
        all - 891 - 2:22, 2:20
        Here are the times for overtime games only:
        NC - 57 - 2:30, 2:29
        AHA - 25 - 2:31, 2:33
        B1G - 15 - 2:37, 2:36
        ECAC - 21 - 2:26, 2:28
        HEA - 23 - 2:31, 2:31
        NCHC - 14 - 2:35, 2:34
        WCHA - 23 - 2:34, 2:36
        all - 178 - 2:31, 2:30
        Here are the times for games still tied at the end of the standard 5 minute overtime:
        NC - 32 - 2:37, 2:34
        AHA - 17 - 2:35, 2:35
        B1G - 10 - 2:41, 2:40
        ECAC - 12 - 2:31, 2:31
        HEA - 13 - 2:32, 2:31
        NCHC - 10 - 2:39, 2:36
        WCHA - 16 - 2:36, 2:39
        all - 117 - 2:36, 2:35

Sean
        Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
        Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
        BU Hockey highlights and extras
        NCAA Hockey Financials
        Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
        I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
          Not anymore. A lot of teams have tv timeouts even for games that aren’t on tv. In the last couple of years I bet the average game is closer to 2:45.
          Maybe this is another one Sean Pickett can help with. I just looked at a handful of UML box scores, and I am seeing 2:10-2:30 for all of them. Then I looked at some Maine box scores and most of your games are in the 2:40 range, one even 2:50. What's going on up there? More ads during the "tv" timeouts?

Edit - Sean posted as I was typing...

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
            And what is this about TV timeouts when a game isn't on TV? That doesn't make sense. Are you sure you're not talking about the midway point in the period when they come out and clean the ice?
            I believe that since most (all?) games are streamed they all use the three allowed media timeouts each period.

Sean
            Last edited by Sean Pickett; 02-19-2020, 11:10 AM.

BU Hockey Games
            NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by Middle Street View Post
              Maybe this is another one Sean Pickett can help with. I just looked at a handful of UML box scores, and I am seeing 2:10-2:30 for all of them. Then I looked at some Maine box scores and most of your games are in the 2:40 range, one even 2:50. What's going on up there? More ads during the "tv" timeouts?
              Here are the lengths of all UML games at Tsongas this season:
              2:20
              2:15
              2:35
              2:27
              2:10
              2:07
              2:25
              2:25
              2:02
              2:30
              2:15
              average 2:19
              median 2:20
              Here are the lengths of all Maine games at Alfond this season:
              2:22
              2:33
              2:44
              2:50
              2:45
              2:40
              2:50
              2:31
              2:14
              average 2:35
              median 2:35

I have no data on why Maine's home games are running 15 minutes longer than UML's home games, sorry.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
              NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                UNH's Metcalf discusses top priorities as new Hockey East commissioner:
                https://www.unionleader.com/sports/c...3c768c9c4.html
                It's encouraging that Metcalf wants a balanced schedule, but the only real way to do that is by adding in another school to the league. As many have noted, there are no sure candidates. During Bertagna's tenure the added UVM, UConn and (ill advised) Notre Dame. I wouldn't even hazard a guess as to what school he would be thinking of. As for reducing the number of ties, please, please, please, don't choose the alternative of a shoot out. Many have discussed an extended overtime, perhaps seven minutes where you start five on five for three minutes, go to four on four for two, then three on three for another two. I think studies have shown that just adding a couple of minutes reduces the number of ties significantly. Whether Metcalf has enough juice to get a proposal through is another story. His tenure as the chair of the national committee will help, but these different leagues can operate has little fiefdoms and really not take into consideration how what they do impacts other leagues.

Comment

• Originally posted by Middle Street View Post

Edit - Sean posted as I was typing...
                  The number of tv time outs at Maine games is rediculous. I used to avoid going to games televised locally but now even those not televised locally have too many tv outs and the games are too long.

The number of penalties Maine serves may not help length either.😄

Comment

Every game is streamed now, providing opportunities for advertising. Consequently every game has media timeouts. Back twenty years ago I would go to a game at UNH where the puck would drop at 7:05 and be over by 9:05 without fail. Now the games end somewhere between 9:20 and 9:30. And it's not only because of the media timeouts. Every game seems too have at least two or three replay reviews which can take up to five minutes. All this is the price you pay for the technology that provides universal access to just about every game.

Comment

I guess I was considering a streamed game a "TV" game anyway

Comment

As for a 12th team, unless this guy has some fancy presentation that will change Quinnipiac's mind, the leader in the clubhouse is probably Sacred Heart.

Comment

As for a 12th team, unless this guy has some fancy presentation that will change Quinnipiac's mind, the leader in the clubhouse is probably Sacred Heart.
                          You have to give Sacred Heart credit here. They saw that Hockey East wants/needs a 12th men's team and they appear committed to upgrading their program so it can be that team. And with plans to break ground this year and have it completed in 2022 they have set a timeline to join Hockey East for the 2022-23 season if not sooner.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                          NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

The other major point is trying to reduce ties. I honestly don't understand the obsession with that. Is that an American thing? Over the course of a long regular season, what is the problem with having ties? If this is something that does in fact change, please please please do not go to the shootout across the board. I'd be ok with a 5 or 10 minute 4v4 OT period. Start there. But even then I just don't understand why ties are deemed to be a problem. You have the oddity of BU this year with a ton of ties but is it really a problem across the country?
                            +1. On TV I don't even watch hockey shootouts. For real. World cup soccer I do watch them.
                            I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                              You have to give Sacred Heart credit here. They saw that Hockey East wants/needs a 12th men's team and they appear committed to upgrading their program so it can be that team. And with plans to break ground this year and have it completed in 2022 they have set a timeline to join Hockey East for the 2022-23 season if not sooner.

Sean
                              Maybe the new commissioner can help UConn get into the Big 10? For me that would be the ideal solution. Then you could go back to playing each team three times.
                              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Interesting.
                                1. Ties never bothered me.
                                2. The unbalance schedule when we had 2H1A and flip-flopped every other year for teams was never something that bothered me much either. This unbalanced schedule doesn't really bother me now.
                                3. Not a fan of expansion. Dump a school like Yukon if necessary to get more games between schools from the old HE. Rekindle the old school rivalries with more games. Notre Dame leaving was a blessing. The closer we get to the 98-2003 era the better.
                                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Working...
                                X