Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

3x3,4x4 and shootouts cheapen the game and unless employed consistently across all leagues they must keep the result after the 5 minutes as official. If they want to have fewer ties the best alternative is to extend the OT. Now anything more than 10 minutes would be a burden for travel schedules and could be considered an injury waiting to happen. So why not go to an 8 minute OT if 10 is too much? In 8 minutes teams would not play to just keep it tied like some do with 5 minute OT's. By the way I also wouldn't mind seeing the playoffs be just 4 teams headed straight to the Garden.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
      I'm not sure how hard. Yes, the financials will be a bit higher with travel, but from a hockey perspective, I think a lot of the NCHC teams would welcome it. That is because right now they are small and beating each other up, to their own detriment. Having a set of new teams to beat in a lesser conference would be welcome to Miami and Colorado and Nebraska, which are stuck as bottom feeders. For a coach looking to survive, getting games against U.Conn, Vermont and UNH would be easier wins for the resume.

I assume that the benefit of wins over lesser HE teams still help more than multiple losses against top teams Duluth and Denver.

In many respects, this is what happened when HE was founded, and played the younger brother to the WCHA powerhouses Wisconsin, NoDak and Minnesota, while Denver was able to claw its way back.
      I'm thinking more that the NCHC teams would be resistant to giving up the current 10 games from their unbalanced schedule as that would mean giving up a home series or two with UND, DU and/or UMD every season. However, as you mention, I also think getting to play (and potentially win) 11 games vs Hockey East teams is a good selling point.

Sean
      Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
      BU Hockey highlights and extras
      NCAA Hockey Financials
      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
      I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
        3x3,4x4 and shootouts cheapen the game and unless employed consistently across all leagues they must keep the result after the 5 minutes as official. If they want to have fewer ties the best alternative is to extend the OT. Now anything more than 10 minutes would be a burden for travel schedules and could be considered an injury waiting to happen. So why not go to an 8 minute OT if 10 is too much? In 8 minutes teams would not play to just keep it tied like some do with 5 minute OT's. By the way I also wouldn't mind seeing the playoffs be just 4 teams headed straight to the Garden.
        3x3 has been discussed before in both the Should College Hockey Should Adopt 3-on-3 OT thread and the NCAA Committee Recommends Change To Overtime In 2016-17 in which I posted this:

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
        Not quite:

NHL 2015-16 Season (3x3 overtime)
        1230 games played
        275 overtime games (23.6 %)
        107 shootouts (8.7 % of all games; 38.9 % of overtime games)

NHL 2014-15 Season (4x4 overtime)
        1230 games played
        306 overtime games (24.9 %)
        170 shootouts (13.8 % of all games; 55.6 % of overtime games)

Over the past two seasons the average is just 47.7% of overtime games were decided playing 4x4 or 3x3 with the remaining 52.3% tied after 5 minutes of overtime.
        To date this season there have been 179 ovetime games, of which 109, 60.9%, were still still tied after the 5 minute overtime.

Sean
        Last edited by Sean Pickett; 02-19-2020, 04:54 PM.

BU Hockey Games
        NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

I'm now convinced Sean isn't a human being. There is no way he has this much information committed to memory or available at the click of a button. It's some sort of A.I. Maybe part of Skynet. It seems harmless enough because it's just posting stuff about sports, but it's all a ruse to disarm us. It's only a matter of time before it leads the Robot Uprising.

Comment

Fear the Pick!!!!!
            "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
              No, not a challenge. An actual HEA-NCHC interlocking schedule with the games between the teams from both leagues counting in both leagues' standings.

Sean
              Oh I'm not sure how I feel about that

Comment

I always wondered why the NCAA added a rule to award each team a time out once the game went into OT? I've been to several games where a team has been on the ropes and forced to ice the puck in OT. Instead of one team having a clear advantage against tired players the other team just calls a time out to get fresh skaters on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                  I mean... ok but the programs with deeper rosters of skill players benefit the same way there as they do during 5x5 and 4x4 and 3x3 and any other situation. That's not unfair. It's consistent if nothing else.
                  I take your point but my comment on unfair/disproportionate advantage was focused on what I consider to be gimmicks, like 3x3 OT and the accursed shootout. There always have been and always will be times when a "have not" somehow manages to tie a blue blood. But IMO when you go to a 3x3 OT, the talent edge of the blue blood becomes magnified so the odds tilt heavily in favor of the blue blood. Even moreso in a shootout, which after all is nothing more than a skills competition.

So let the tied teams continue to play real hockey in a 5x5 OT of whatever duration you want. If it's still tied at the end of that OT, so be it. The two teams split the standing points, which is the only fair way for the league standings to reflect the actual competitive outcome.
                  Last edited by Split-N; 02-20-2020, 08:56 AM.
                  "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                    3x3 has been discussed before in both the Should College Hockey Should Adopt 3-on-3 OT thread and the NCAA Committee Recommends Change To Overtime In 2016-17 in which I posted this:

To date this season there have been 179 ovetime games, of which 109, 60.9%, were still still tied after the 5 minute overtime.

Sean

I've noticed this trend, especially this season of NHL games going to shootouts more often. I think NHL coaches have gotten players to be more conservative in OT, emphasizing possession above chances. It would probably happen in the NCAA's over time too.

I think bringing 4v4 into Hockey East is fine.

What I am annoyed with is how the NCAA clamped down on Beanpot overtime rules, but allow NCHC's 3v3 overtime to factor into the pairwise ratings. Just give us back the Beanpot

Comment

Originally posted by njdevscup30 View Post
                      What I am annoyed with is how the NCAA clamped down on Beanpot overtime rules, but allow NCHC's 3v3 overtime to factor into the pairwise ratings. Just give us back the Beanpot
                      Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                      "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Ya I didn't think the NCHC 3v3 factored into PWR, just the league standings.

As for an extra timeout in OT, I don't see the need for that. You get one timeout per a 60 minute game so not sure there is a need to give you another one for a 20 minute OT.

Comment

Welp, had no idea about 3v3 was AFTER 5v5 in NCHC. Didn't do my research and got caught red handed!

Comment

Originally posted by njdevscup30 View Post
                            I've noticed this trend, especially this season of NHL games going to shootouts more often. I think NHL coaches have gotten players to be more conservative in OT, emphasizing possession above chances. It would probably happen in the NCAA's over time too.
                            I had already researched the 2014-15 and 2015-16 seasons when the NHL went from 4x4 overtime to 3x3 overtime, so I also researched when the NHL went from 5x5 overtime to 4x4 overtime. I also researched the NHL's results for this season and I don't see that more games going to shootouts this season then in 2015-16.

As can be seen the last season the NHL had 5x5 overtime nearly 75% of games that went to overtime remained tied. Going to 4x4 overtime dropped that to 56% remaining tied, which is also the same percentage for the last season the NHL had 4x4 overtime. Going to 3x3 overtime dropped the number of games that remained tied down to 39% in 2015-16 and currently 35% this season. So, in the NHL 3x3 overtime has reduced the number of ties by about 35%. So, if those percentages held for NCAA games 18-19 of the 109 would have been decided by 4x4 and 37 would have been decided by 3x3. Looking at the 4 leagues that play an extra 3x3 overtime period they have played 77 overtimes to-date, 52 (67.5%) which remained tied after the 5x5 overtime period. After the extra 3x3 overtime period 25 (32.5%) still remained tied. That is 35% less ties between 5x5 and 3x3 overtimes, about the same as the drop seen by the NHL. I find it interesting that the percentage of tied games after the 5x5 overtime in those leagues was higher, 67.5%, than the 55.4% of overtime games played without a second 3x3 overtime following that remained tied. It seems that the players and coaches in those leagues have gotten more conservative to try and insure they will get both points in league play and not take a loss that could affect their PWR rating.

Sean
                            Last edited by Sean Pickett; 02-20-2020, 01:06 PM.

BU Hockey Games
                            NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              Ya I didn't think the NCHC 3v3 factored into PWR, just the league standings.

As for an extra timeout in OT, I don't see the need for that. You get one timeout per a 60 minute game so not sure there is a need to give you another one for a 20 minute OT.
                              You get it for the 5 minute overtime as well.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                              NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                                I'm now convinced Sean isn't a human being. There is no way he has this much information committed to memory or available at the click of a button. It's some sort of A.I. Maybe part of Skynet. It seems harmless enough because it's just posting stuff about sports, but it's all a ruse to disarm us. It's only a matter of time before it leads the Robot Uprising.
                                It would be much faster if I was A.I., but sadly I have to gather the data and then put it into a form that I can use to crunch numbers. And definitely not a click of a button, usually several clicks at a minimum.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                                NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Working...
                                X