Apollo 11 - 50 years on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Apollo 11 - 50 years on.

Just realized when they docked with the LM, they were inside the orbits of the communication satellites. Right now, 6,600 NM from Earth.

Wonder in the next voyages, will they use Metric or English measurements?
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
      Circling back around to this (yes, I've quoted it twice), I'm at +8 from launch listening on my phone and it has just the Capcom feed (you can only pick one feed to listen at a time on the mobile site), and Jesus they make this sound as thrilling as calling and listening to the time, but yet I can't stop listening. I'm enthralled by it.
      So how are all of you deciding on who to listen to?? They have everyone recorded, and while it's good to hear the main CAPCON and Crew feed (which are in different ears), it's also interesting to listen to the various conversations that are going on. Makes me wonder how communication control was laid out. Do each have an open mic to a small specific group, and then have to switch to talk to the flight controller?

I caught one of them when they were making a phone call about 40 min before the TLI burn.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        It's really wonderful to listen to them in real time. It makes them into real people you feel you are sitting with. Imagine how nerve racking and exciting it was!
        Apollo 13 is remarkably true to the real history. One of the minor inaccuracies is how much tension there was at NASA and in the command module. If you listen to the audio of mission control everyone is cool as a cucumber throughout. Ron Howard had to create that drama for theatrical purposes. As a member of the press said, "You made going to the Moon about as exciting as taking a trip to Pittsburgh."

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
          ...Do each have an open mic to a small specific group, and then have to switch to talk to the flight controller?
          So far I just listened to CAPCOM. When I loaded their sister site for Apollo 17 last week, I played around with the different channels, but there was just so much audio.

And yes, from my understanding, that a exactly how it worked. Each controller was it's own "channel," and they could flip over to other channels.

https://apollo17.org/
          http://apollo13realtime.org/
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Watch the opening scenes from E1 of PBS' Chasing the Moon series. Goosebumps.

Comment

btw this Real Time link is one of the coolest things I've ever seen and if there were nothing else on the internet it would be worth it.

Comment

I'm listening on the left side (there's a mike symbol below the info screen. That gives flight, crew and Public Affairs. I'm on a computer, not a tablet or mobile device. The latter two only give audio. I'd pick flight.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I'm mostly watching on my PS4 through the YouTube app. The only view we get is "photography" with the official transcript in the lower left. Almost all of the Mission Control Channels are lit up.

10,794 feet per *second* is the current velocity. That would be like me being at home, blinking my eyes and when they open I'm at the mall. Unreal.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    Did you stick mice in as payloads?

Or are you the only little boy who didn't.

Asking for a friend.

I honestly believe we will live to see the first human walk on Mars. Of course, she'll be Chinese.
                    Never. I'm an animal lover. And a bit of a hypocrite when it comes to meat. I can't shoot it, but I sure love to eat it! I could shoot person easier than I could an animal.

I will admit thought to being a bit of an adolescent pyromaniac and attempted to rig up a couple of exploding rockets though. It never went well.

Comment

I didn't see the launch.

I didn't see the moon landing, but I remember us kids running around the neighborhood like dorky kids, repeating, "The Eagle has landed. The Eagle has landed."

As for the moon walk, originally it was going to be late at night, and my parents were going to wake us. Then, they moved it up. Then, there were all these delays, so essentially it was late at night again. We all played Monopoly up to the time they were actually going to start getting out of the LM.

My parents made me go to bed before they planted the flag. I remember I was mad, because I really wanted to see that.

EDIT: One other thing. How could I forget? A couple of years ago for work where my company is a key player in the James Web Telescope, I was sent to the Johnson Space Center in Houston (technically, Webster) to help get a chamber ready for long term testing of JWEST. This is one of if not the largest chamber in the world where back in the day they used for human training for astronauts in space like conditions (vacuum, temperature, etc.). There is a plaque next to it establishing it as an historic landmark.

To know I was working in the same building and chamber that was a key part of the Apollo missions left me awestruck.
                      Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 07-16-2019, 04:28 PM.
                      Russell Jaslow
                      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Doesn't this topic belong in the "Conspiracy Theory du jour" thread.
                        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                          Doesn't this topic belong in the "Conspiracy Theory du jour" thread.
                          I heard Kubrick was a perfectionist, so he demanded they shoot on location.
                          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                          Patreon for exclusive writing content
                          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                            Perfect.
                            Russell Jaslow
                            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                              Is that like when "Gravity" director Alfonso Cuaron was asked by a reporter, "Was it complicated to shoot in space?"

https://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...icle-1.1490004
                              The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Listening to the TELCOM channel right now which seems to have the most amount of chatter. In a bit the crew will talk about having a PB& J sandwich.

Current comment from Collins:

It's working good so far, Charlie. We've got one installed on the water gun and the other one installed on the spigot down in the LEB, and we - mention one problem with them is that they leak at the junction between the food bag and the water filter. However, with that exception, they seem to be working pretty good. We were getting some gas through initially, and I think that was just getting the system purged out to begin with; and the last tube-full we poured was almost free of bubbles. Over.
                                Mission Control:

Roger. Sounds good. We'll check in on that problem with the SPAN guys and let you know in the morning. If you have to call us tonight, we'd like you to do it on DOWNVOICE BACKUP. We're configuring the MSFN for that mode; and as far as we can see, you're cleared for some Z's. Over.
                                Collins
                                Okay. Maybe we'll get around to lunch. How about a peanut butter and jelly?
                                I might lose sleep the next few days.

Comment

Working...
                                X