Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Apollo 11 - 50 years on.

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
    Yup, still one of the coolest! I've been watching that thing move across the sky for many, many years now. To think you may have been communicating in whatever fashion with someone on board as I tracked it in the sky is really kind of neat to think about.
    This is a really neat website that tracks the ISS as well as a bunch of other satellites. Gives you lots of info to satellite spot. I flipped out when I saw my first Iridium flare. I've logged hundreds of satellite sightings using this website.

https://www.heavens-above.com/

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
      Yup, still one of the coolest! I've been watching that thing move across the sky for many, many years now. To think you may have been communicating in whatever fashion with someone on board as I tracked it in the sky is really kind of neat to think about.
      There was a time when you could about 2/3 staff a skeleton control room at POIC with folks with direct ties to the UAH program (me, one of my old radio partners, the official scorer, and a Pep Band guy).

GFM
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Re-entry and splashdown. I didn't realize that it was upside down for so long. Stable, but mostly upside down in the water.

It was also interesting to see the booster part of the CM come down at the same time, and burn up in the atmosphere. Scary to think that a small mistake like that could have been really bad.

Comment

Just saw this on the NASA channel. They have fully restored it. This is the first time in my life I have wanted to go to Texas.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            Just saw this on the NASA channel. They have fully restored it. This is the first time in my life I have wanted to go to Texas.
            I saw a news story about this a couple of weeks ago. As I recall, everything is identical to the way it was in 1969, with one exception. I think it was a plaque or something hung up to commemorate their work on getting the crew back to earth on the Apollo 13 mission, which obviously occurred after Apollo 11. I assume that will be the big "aha" moment for the tour guides to quiz tourists.
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              Go in February.

It's a neat room to be sure. I couldn't bring myself to walk back to the Flight seat, probably because I wasn't a POD then.

GFM
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Found this on YouTube. Links to the team who did the restoration. Wow!

https://youtu.be/Bh_gP5aF3ys
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Nine minutes before landing, Armstrong realized that the Eagle would fly past the planned landing site. According to astronauts' estimates, they should have missed by about five kilometers (in fact, they missed by six).

Comment

Working...
                  X