• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: World Soccer XXX: We Have Men Too!

Wayne Rooney in January
    DC United -> Derby County
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      So the goal is not to make MLS a Top 5-7 league world wide? Maybe the expectation is too unrealistic.
      What leagues in the world aren't selling their best talent? I mean outside of 2-3 teams in Italy, Germany, France, Spain...everyone is selling except the EPL.
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        What leagues in the world aren't selling their best talent? I mean outside of 2-3 teams in Italy, Germany, France, Spain...everyone is selling except the EPL.
        Mike Ashley didn’t get that memo
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Those leagues are also acquiring talent right? The EPL doesn't dominate the CL and went 6 years without a win and 5 years without a finalist. In fact since 2012 Spain had 7 CL finalists, England 3, Germany 2 and Italy 2. Also Ajax and Paris FC would wipe the floor with most MLS teams.

Again I don't ever expect MLS to be spoken about in the same sentence as the Bundesliga, Lique 2, La Liga, EPL, etc., but I am sure US fans would love to see a bit more of the homegrown talent than they're used to seeing if it doesn't come at the expense of development for the NT.

Comment

Those leagues are also acquiring talent right? The EPL doesn't dominate the CL and went 6 years without a win and 5 years without a finalist. In fact since 2012 Spain had 7 CL finalists, England 3, Germany 2 and Italy 2. Also Ajax and Paris FC would wipe the floor with most MLS teams.

Again I don't ever expect MLS to be spoken about in the same sentence as the Bundesliga, Lique 2, La Liga, EPL, etc., but I am sure US fans would love to see a bit more of the homegrown talent than they're used to seeing if it doesn't come at the expense of development for the NT.
            The biggest problem with that is the $ vehicles MLS has created aren't "meant" for Americans. MLS doesn't want teams using GAM/TAM on keeping Americans. It's meant to bring in other talent so until that changes...

You can talk about finalists or whatever but those non-english teams are the same couple of teams aren't they? Like I said, other than the EPL, none of those leagues are deep. There are 2-3 teams that dominate and spend... The bottom half of La Liga, Ligue 1, Bundesliga has talent but they aren't dropping giant coin on acquiring players. Ajax has amazing development abilities...
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

The biggest problem with that is the $ vehicles MLS has created aren't "meant" for Americans. MLS doesn't want teams using GAM/TAM on keeping Americans. It's meant to bring in other talent so until that changes...

You can talk about finalists or whatever but those non-english teams are the same couple of teams aren't they? Like I said, other than the EPL, none of those leagues are deep. There are 2-3 teams that dominate and spend... The bottom half of La Liga, Ligue 1, Bundesliga has talent but they aren't dropping giant coin on acquiring players. Ajax has amazing development abilities...
              I'm not even sure the bottom of Serie A is any good.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

And even Ajax spent five seasons without a CL appearance.

Heck, even big teams like Ajax are usually sellers on the transfer market.
                U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

And yet even those sellers would be hard pressed to find MLS teams a stiff test on the whole.

Like I said I don't expect MLS to ever be on an even playing field in this regard and England is the world benchmark, but even Germany doesn't lose most of their best to other leagues. A look at 2018 WC teams and how many played in their home country:

Portugal - 5
                  Spain - 17 (on 6 different La Liga teams)
                  France - 9 (on 5 Ligue 2 teams)
                  Peru - 5
                  Argentina - 4
                  Brazil - 3
                  Germany - 15 (on 8 Bundesliga teams)
                  England - all players were in the EPL (10 different teams)

Comment

And yet even those sellers would be hard pressed to find MLS teams a stiff test on the whole.

Like I said I don't expect MLS to ever be on an even playing field in this regard and England is the world benchmark, but even Germany doesn't lose most of their best to other leagues. A look at 2018 WC teams and how many played in their home country:

Portugal - 5
                    Spain - 17 (on 6 different La Liga teams)
                    France - 9 (on 5 Ligue 2 teams)
                    Peru - 5
                    Argentina - 4
                    Brazil - 3
                    Germany - 15 (on 8 Bundesliga teams)
                    England - all players were in the EPL (10 different teams)
                    and how many Americans would have been from MLS? a decent amount...so that comparison...idk

Comment

• Re: World Soccer XXX: We Have Men Too!

and how many Americans would have been from MLS? a decent amount...so that comparison...idk
                      Several I'm sure but we're losing too many for my taste is my point and I'd like to see it be less. That may not be realistic but it's my personal want.

Comment

Minnesota United beats Portland in the semifinals of the US Open Cup and will face Atlanta in the final.

MNUFC, you beat Portland, that makes you winners in my book.
                        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

fulham is taking kepler's dropping them hard. they dropped their ecl opener
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                            Minnesota United beats Portland in the semifinals of the US Open Cup and will face Atlanta in the final.

MNUFC, you beat Portland, that makes you winners in my book.
                            twice in 4 days

Comment

How was the open cup final determined to be @Atlanta?
                              PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                              NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                                How was the open cup final determined to be @Atlanta?
                                Random draw I guess...based on teams saying they are able to host during the given dates.

Comment

Working...
                                X