World Soccer XXX: We Have Men Too!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Some of the changes are dumb and create some additional and unnecessary ambiguity. But it also clears up others. I like the change where the arm above the shoulder is always a handball. I've always told people, as long as the arms are uncontrolled, I'm not going to call it. So keep your arms tight and you're fine. Move your arms into the ball and I'll call it every time.

I'm not sure I like this:
    a player gains control/possession of the ball after it has touches their hand/arm
    and then scores, or creates a goal-scoring opportunity

Call it within the spirit and the context. It's not necessary to add these extra "Yeahbuts"
    I’m fine with it. It’s a bit weird but it prevents more than a few shenanigans situations that have come up.

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I really like this one though:
    If the goalkeeper attempts to ‘clear’ (release into play) a throw-in or deliberate
    kick from a team-mate but the ‘clearance’ fails, the goalkeeper can then handle
    the ball

Sometimes you just botch a clearance. Can you handle it? Can you not? Glad they cleared this up explicitly.
    I chuckled when I saw that. It’s fine but it’ll be hilarious when it comes up.

A player who is being substituted must leave the field by the nearest point on the
    touchline/goal line (unless the referee indicates the player can leave quickly/
    immediately at the halfway line or a different point because of safety, injury etc.)

THANK GOD

Generally speaking, the rules changes are good this year. Shocking.
    It is a good change but holy * has it been like herding cats at the youth level. Trying to break years of training of “you must go off at the half line!” has been rough.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Re: World Soccer XXX: We Have Men Too!

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
      It’s to prevent gamesmanship by the goalkeeper, same reason that now the posts and crossbar can’t be moving as well (or why the goalkeeper has to be facing forward).

Remember, the LOTG are largely written for the professional level, and at that level this little trivial, negligible stuff really matters.
      What’s the gamesmanship by forcing him on the line instead of behind it?

Regarding the swap off anywhere, I also see the benefit in no more stupid *** refs forcing a playing to go off at half because “reasons”. We get it, you’ve memorize The Laws cover to cover. Chill. But whatever, that’s always going to happen.

Never had issues with youth games. We had always allowed subs from the benches or wherever was most convenient for the game. Unless you mean trying to get kids to go off at the closest point. Yeah, that might be tough but whatever. There aren’t any games where you should have to explain that in ANY sort of detail where the game actually matters. If the kids are doing it at U16 or higher, they’re wasting time and there’s an easy fix. Add 1:1 time for every second they waste. Or, if you somehow forgot to mention it during team walkthroughs and inspections before the game, walk over after the game or at half and explain to both teams that cards will be given for future delays. But I get your point.

Either way, these are all generally good. Which college hockey seems to **** up every year.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I remember that we've also had the conversation that if a goalie were something like a foot in front of the line, the percentage of "blockable area" was increased almost negligibly.
        Huh. I would not have guessed this.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• It makes it more difficult for the gk to cover fully to the post while also getting out an extra couple feet to reduce angle. If you start behind the line your first step on a "guess" can come forward and slightly before the kick occurs while still keeping one foot where it needs to be legally. If you start on the line you cant move until the ball is touched, so you have to choose do I want to step to cut down angle or go straight into extension to cover as far to the post as quickly as possible.

Basically it makes it more difficult to guess on PKs. If you want any sort of momentum going into your extension you'll have to be shuffling along the line

Comment

Which is dumb. GKs already are at an incredible disadvantage.

If anyone hasn't stepped into a soccer goal before, it's pretty easy. Imagine your two-car garage door with the facades on both sides. Take 12 large steps down your driveway. Imagine trying to save a ball that could be kicked anywhere on the front side of your garage at 70 MPH*. The best GKs in the world have only managed a 50% career save average. Just short of 100% of shots in the upper half of the goal go in. 89% of all PKs in World Cup play go in.

It's absurd they're trying to handcuff the GK even more. Especially since there is nothing more exciting than a save on a PK. If it were closer to 50:50 that would make penalties more exciting I think.

*Apparently this is the professional average. I thought it was high, but *shrug*.
            Code:
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Especially since there is nothing more exciting than a save on a PK. If it were closer to 50:50 that would make penalties more exciting I think.
              Until you water it down by having them every night cough NHL cough.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                Until you water it down by having them every night cough NHL cough.
                I don't want them every night. I just want it a little more fair. Make the kickers actually have some skill instead of requiring the GK to make a herculean effort.
                Code:

Comment

I don't want them every night. I just want it a little more fair. Make the kickers actually have some skill instead of requiring the GK to make a herculean effort.
                  I'd like that too. On almost every save of a penalty I've seen the goalie just guessed right and was lucky. That's not that exciting.

I wonder if you could have a one-on-one between the shooter and a defender instead (with no goalie). Give the shooter ten seconds to score. What do you think the odds would be?

I agree that a 50/50 event would be the most exciting.
                  Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    I'd like that too. On almost every save of a penalty I've seen the goalie just guessed right and was lucky. That's not that exciting.

I wonder if you could have a one-on-one between the shooter and a defender instead (with no goalie). Give the shooter ten seconds to score. What do you think the odds would be?

I wonder if having the goalie start on the goal line but as soon as the kicker advances the goalie can move anywhere in the 6-yard goal area would work.
                    Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Wonder no more!

(And it was 5 seconds to shoot)
                      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

I'm with dx on this.

Comment

Yes!!!
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                            Yes!!!
                            I don't know HOW that happened, but I approve.
                            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                            Patreon for exclusive writing content
                            Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

I don't know how Newcastle scored two in stoppage time to draw with Everton, either, but I'll take it.
                              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                              Patreon for exclusive writing content
                              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                                I don't know how Newcastle scored two in stoppage time to draw with Everton, either, but I'll take it.
                                Should now go straight to stoppage
                                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X