Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: World Soccer XXX: We Have Men Too!

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    There’s no bye weeks like in the NFL and they’re not playing every day like MLB. Plus, La Liga’s season is already controversially long anyway, remember when it ran right into the World Cup in 2002?

Most importantly, these are leagues where traveling to far flung Euro cities is considered daunting, you really think La Liga is capable of handling the logistics of trying to play a game in Miami?

This comes up every few years, even the PL had that 39th game proposal, and it’s always DOA when it comes out.
    I thought there was also an issue with FIFA related to league games being played not in the country the league is set up in?
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      I thought there was also an issue with FIFA related to league games being played not in the country the league is set up in?
      That’s the other wrinkle, the Spanish Fed, the USSF, and FIFA would all have to approve it.

Of course, SOP for the USSF is that USSF referees have to be used on matches played in the US. So that’s another wrinkle.
      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

If the Euros can manage league games, UEFA games, intra-country cup games and WC qualifiers (when going on) they can certainly manage a few real league games in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
          If the Euros can manage league games, UEFA games, intra-country cup games and WC qualifiers (when going on) they can certainly manage a few real league games in the US.
          I will say you don’t pay attention too much then. What’s the biggest complaint from Euro clubs regarding CL qualifying rounds and the Europa League? The travel. What’s the biggest complaint from Euro clubs about South American qualifying? The players travel. Euro clubs hate traveling to Krakow and Basel for competitive games, what makes you think, beyond money, they’ll want to travel to the US for games in the middle of their season.
          I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

I will say you don’t pay attention too much then. What’s the biggest complaint from Euro clubs regarding CL qualifying rounds and the Europa League? The travel. What’s the biggest complaint from Euro clubs about South American qualifying? The players travel. Euro clubs hate traveling to Krakow and Basel for competitive games, what makes you think, beyond money, they’ll want to travel to the US for games in the middle of their season.
            You don't always have to go condescending when people offer a differing POV.

Despite the bye week I doubt NFL players enjoy playing in Europe. And I didn't say players would like it but they wouldn't necessarily have a say in the matter would they?

Comment

We're not saying they'd want to. We're saying logistics aren't preventing it.

Comment

Dude, we are discussing soccer on A COLLEGE HOCKEY message board, NOT one of your soccer referee message boards where soccer is life 24/7 365... Can you stop talking down to anyone who disagrees with you?

You hate the "euro snobs" when it comes to keeping MLS down. You do realize that you're doing the same thing here, right? I'm pretty sure everyone in the discussion here is a "casual fan" of soccer, not someone who lives/breathes the game. Yet you seem to think we're all beneath you, just like fans of the Euro Leagues think MLS is below them. Kinda ironic, eh?
                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  You don't always have to go condescending when people offer a differing POV.

Despite the bye week I doubt NFL players enjoy playing in Europe. And I didn't say players would like it but they wouldn't necessarily have a say in the matter would they?
                  Sorry, it’s a bit of annoyance from me coming out to what should be easily found info.

And the players and managers will absolutely have a say about whether all this happens. They already threatened a strike on this matter. No players, no games.

The simple fact is, this **** gets proposed all the time. The PL has done it, Serie A has done it, La Liga has done it, and they’ve all not done it in the end, because it’s not worth the hassle with FIFA and the Feds and also the travel. It easier to just play at home and fleece a few million more in TV rights.
                  I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Sorry, it’s a bit of annoyance from me coming out to what should be easily found info.

And the players and managers will absolutely have a say about whether all this happens. They already threatened a strike on this matter. No players, no games.

The simple fact is, this **** gets proposed all the time. The PL has done it, Serie A has done it, La Liga has done it, and they’ve all not done it in the end, because it’s not worth the hassle with FIFA and the Feds and also the travel. It easier to just play at home and fleece a few million more in TV rights.
                    Fair enough.

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                      Dude, we are discussing soccer on A COLLEGE HOCKEY message board, NOT one of your soccer referee message boards where soccer is life 24/7 365... Can you stop talking down to anyone who disagrees with you?

You hate the "euro snobs" when it comes to keeping MLS down. You do realize that you're doing the same thing here, right? I'm pretty sure everyone in the discussion here is a "casual fan" of soccer, not someone who lives/breathes the game. Yet you seem to think we're all beneath you, just like fans of the Euro Leagues think MLS is below them. Kinda ironic, eh?
                      It’s no snobbery, it’s annoyance at seeing the same s- over and over, year after year. And it’s not just this topic, it’s everything, the women’s pay debate, the ragging on the men’s team and MLS, these Euro friendlies, the possiblity of Euro league games etc. It’s the same discussion every time and the same answers every time. History doesn’t repeat but it does rhyme.

Of course it’s my fault for going “aw jeez not this s- again...” instead of ignoring it like I should.
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

It’s no snobbery, it’s annoyance at seeing the same s- over and over, year after year. And it’s not just this topic, it’s everything, the women’s pay debate, the ragging on the men’s team and MLS, these Euro friendlies, the possiblity of Euro league games etc. It’s the same discussion every time and the same answers every time. History doesn’t repeat but it does rhyme.

Of course it’s my fault for going “aw jeez not this s- again...” instead of ignoring it like I should.
                        So this is how it goes on the MLS boards when someone brings up The College Hockey Video Game?
                        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Ok but those conversations weren't had with me and I've never ripped on MLS. If I pose any questions here they're not loaded and rather come from a being sincere fan of the sport. I'm a novice as a fan when it comes to a lot of this stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                            Hi, I'm Amber Marie, and not only am I a trans girl, I also started watching soccer around the time Zidane committed his infamous headbutt. Then I started watching Newcastle United games about 10 years ago. I've become quite used to play up, "just happy to be here," then get sent back down, and watching the cycle repeat itself.
                            We are in for a tough season... the sale needs to get moving quicker than later
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                              Hi, I'm Amber Marie, and not only am I a trans girl, I also started watching soccer around the time Zidane committed his infamous headbutt. Then I started watching Newcastle United games about 10 years ago. I've become quite used to play up, "just happy to be here," then get sent back down, and watching the cycle repeat itself.
                              Greatest moment in Youtube history.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The men's team failed to qualify for the World Cup, and you're upset people rip them for it?

Comment

Working...
                                X