X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2019-2020: Time to Get Offensive

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    I give up.

I realize it’s probably just selective quoting from CHN (who is also on the “it’s the goalie’s fault” bandwagon for our poor defense), but I’m astonished to see even TG kind of calling out Lebedeff needing to step up (as opposed to the porous defensemen shirking their duties).

I don’t know what to say anymore. Feel like Roddy Piper in They Live.
    If I remember correctly, TG had some early comments when he started about not really liking goaltenders. As ex-goalie dad, I never understand how coaches, at all levels, dis goalies so much and then expect them to be stellar. Especially when the 5 people in front of them, just stare at the opposing team.

Comment

• I know some people are not into plus/minus, but I think it is an interesting stat. To date by forward lines:

Turcotte -2
      Caufield +1
      Weissbach +1

Holloway 0
      S. Dhooghe +1
      Baker -2

Lindmark +6
      Ahcan +7
      Byce +3

Gorniak -3
      R. Donovan 0
      Messner 0
      Mersch 0
      B. Caufield-1

See anything interesting going on 5 on 5?

Comment

• Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
        I know some people are not into plus/minus, but I think it is an interesting stat. To date by forward lines:

Turcotte -2
        Caufield +1
        Weissbach +1

Holloway 0
        S. Dhooghe +1
        Baker -2

Lindmark +6
        Ahcan +7
        Byce +3

Gorniak -3
        R. Donovan 0
        Messner 0
        Mersch 0
        B. Caufield-1

Defense

Ess +3
        Kalynuk +5
        Miller -1
        Inamoto 0
        Peltonen +1
        Emberson +2
        Vorlicky 0

Comment

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
          I know some people are not into plus/minus, but I think it is an interesting stat. To date by forward lines:

Turcotte -2
          Caufield +1
          Weissbach +1

Holloway 0
          S. Dhooghe +1
          Baker -2

Lindmark +6
          Ahcan +7
          Byce +3

Gorniak -3
          R. Donovan 0
          Messner 0
          Mersch 0
          B. Caufield-1

Lindmark, Ahcan, and Byce have been great 5 on 5.
          gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by dtrumbower View Post
            If I remember correctly, TG had some early comments when he started about not really liking goaltenders. As ex-goalie dad, I never understand how coaches, at all levels, dis goalies so much and then expect them to be stellar. Especially when the 5 people in front of them, just stare at the opposing team.
            RichJr was very fortunate; he never had that experience. Playing at the level he did in youth hockey, it was ALWAYS about the team. The organEYEzation had a prominent goalie coach come to practice twice a month and he made it very clear when a defenseman left the goalies out to dry. Then he would look at the goalie and say, "RichJr why didn't you stop that?" ��

THAT SAID, a goalie is there as the last line of defense. It's job to "mop up" what the others "**** up".

On a side note, I didn't know, but it seems Nic Kerdiles has hung 'em up "due to numerous injuries". Too bad he never made it...did he leave too soon?
            I casually follow him on Twitter and noticed he's into real estate and is engaged to some reality show rich beotch skank. RUN NIC...FAST & FAR! GTFO OF THERE!
            Last edited by MadCityRich; 10-24-2019, 10:58 AM.
            "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post

Turcotte -2
              Caufield +1
              Weissbach +1

Holloway 0
              S. Dhooghe +1
              Baker -2

Lindmark +6
              Ahcan +7
              Byce +3

Gorniak -3
              R. Donovan 0
              Messner 0
              Mersch 0
              B. Caufield-1

It's reflective of their play, but also who they're playing against. BC's top line of Mattilla, Cotton, and Hutsko did a lot of damage against Turcottes's line. (Significantly, Hutsko was out injured for BC's losing series at DU last week.) It seems like it was a good learning experience though, as that line really stepped up their play without the puck this last weekend. And with Holloway at C and Bakes at wing, that line played much better as well.

3rd line has been really good in their own right, but the Badger's depth at forward is paying dividends already by allowing Lindy, TPB, and Achan significant ice time vs. the lower opposing lines. That's a good second line on most teams. We will need them to produce like that all year when they have favorable match-ups.
              Originally posted by WiscTJK
              I'm with Wisko and Tim.
              Originally posted by Timothy A
              Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Sounds like a virus/flu bug is in the Badger's locker room. Turcotte has missed some practice this week along with some others. Hydrate, boys.

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post

On a side note, I didn't know, but it seems Nic Kerdiles has hung 'em up "due to numerous injuries". Too bad he never made it...did he leave too soon?
                  I casually follow him on Twitter and noticed he's into real estate and is engaged to some reality show rich beotch skank. RUN NIC...FAST & FAR! GTFO OF THERE!
                  My take always was that he was leaving too soon. As soon as he signed the Ducks displayed their lack of confidence in him by immediately going out and getting a bunch of guys at his position including, coincidentally, Patrick Eaves. Of course to be fair, no one could have predicted the concussion and other injuries he suffered in the AHL that sidelined him for a large portion of his pro career. I've always said though that the highest end kids should go when they're ready to make the Big Club, not before, as getting your brains beat out in the minors for relatively low pay, isn't what a super star should spend a lot of time doing. Hindsight is 20/20, but perhaps a bigger, faster, stronger, and older Kerdiles doesn't get hurt as much and makes the show. He had NHL talent for sure.

In some alternate Universe, one probably where the NHL CBA is much different, Kerdiles comes back and plays on a line with Brock Boesser and Besse, or better yet, Christian Dvorak. They all have such a good time that they come back to win a 'ship in '16 with Opilka in goal, (who's career is extended by better conditioning coaching and by playing 30 games instead of 80 a year in Canada). Kerdiles is then fully ready for the show and signs a FA contract with the Dallas Stars and their new NCAA Championship winning head coach, Mike Eaves...
                  What could have been if the NHL CBA was different and Eaves had made some much better and different decisions after Oz left. Ah well...

As it is, Nic is done with playing hockey and scheduled to marry into a family with a well established real estate empire and an apparently successful tv show. Could be worse, I guess.
                  I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Sounds like a virus/flu bug is in the Badger's locker room. Turcotte has missed some practice this week along with some others. Hydrate, boys.
                    And don't hydrate at the KK. Drink actual water....
                    Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
                      And don't hydrate at the KK. Drink actual water....
                      But alcohol kills germs!!
                      I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Todd tweeting out that Turcotte has been out all 4 days this week and is a "longshot" for the weekend. Miller was sick earlier, missing some time after the opening weekend. I thought he hadn't played with much jam to start the year, which I chalked up to being under the weather. Zimmer was also missing time. Apparently a pretty nasty bug if it keeps Turc down for a week.

Ugh. These things have been known to wreak havoc in hockey locker rooms for weeks. Hopefully all possible precautions are being taken.
                        I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                          Todd tweeting out that Turcotte has been out all 4 days this week and is a "longshot" for the weekend. Miller was sick earlier, missing some time after the opening weekend. I thought he hadn't played with much jam to start the year, which I chalked up to being under the weather. Zimmer was also missing time. Apparently a pretty nasty bug if it keeps Turc down for a week.

Ugh. These things have been known to wreak havoc in hockey locker rooms for weeks. Hopefully all possible precautions are being taken.
                          You got it, Wisko. Obviously they are shoulder to shoulder in the locker room, breathing and sweating on each other, sharing water bottles, traveling and living together on the road.

Back in my football days, one stretch for 2 weeks we had a horrible case of the "Hershey Squirts" as the team Docs called it. We just kept passing it back-and-forth. Drank a lot of Pedialyte and **** and ****ed a lot, haha!

Enjoy your 10 PM snack, boys!

On a good note, Brian Elliott just played a fantastic game against the Blackhawks. The Blackhawks TV crew even gave him the #1 star. Upper midwest NHL fans are seeing some craptastic hockey with the'Hawks and Wild.
                          But my Av's are kicking arse!
                          Last edited by MadCityRich; 10-24-2019, 10:31 PM.

Comment

You got it, Wisko. Obviously they are shoulder to shoulder in the locker room, breathing and sweating on each other, sharing water bottles, traveling and living together on the road.

Back in my football days, one stretch for 2 weeks we had a horrible case of the "Hershey Squirts" as the team Docs called it. We just kept passing it back-and-forth. Drank a lot of Pedialyte and **** and ****ed a lot, haha!

Enjoy your 10 PM snack, boys!

On a good note, Brian Elliott just played a fantastic game against the Blackhawks. The Blackhawks TV crew even gave him the #1 star. Upper midwest NHL fans are seeing some craptastic hockey with the'Hawks and Wild.
                            But my Av's are kicking arse!
                            My Islanders have won 5 in a row. Love having Trotz as the head coach there.

Glad to see Elliott playing well. One of my all time favorite Badger goalies.
                            Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

• Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
                              My Islanders have won 5 in a row. Love having Trotz as the head coach there.

Glad to see Elliott playing well. One of my all time favorite Badger goalies.
                              Love Trotz. I still can't believe the Capitals let him go elsewhere. And ditto on Elliott and we saw a lot of good ones.

Comment

This one's a respiratory virus which can be bad because it holds on. Can't play much hockey if you can't breathe. Oddly, Mrs. McB has had one that's hung around for two weeks down here in the Sunshine state. Snowbirds bring it down with them every fall!

Speaking of the Sunshine state, I just watched the Panthers and Calgary go to a shoot out in a 5-5 tie. Flames won it, but a fun game to watch. I've really never had a particular NHL team I root for, but maybe Q can build something for all the New York retirees over in Sunrise to get behind before long.
                                I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Working...
                                X