This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
    Wait, Phil was at volleyball? I've seen him there before, but never during hockey. I can't be the only one who immediately fears that something is wrong when he's absent.

Backup Phil did a great job, but it took the "old people" in the surrounding sections a couple of times to figure it out. (Though to my earlier comments about newbies getting first exposure to Badgers hockey games, experiencing what it's like, enjoying it, and getting into it....that's a good thing!)

As for the crowd size, I'd firmly categorize it in the "not terrible for recent history in October, certainly not where you'd like it to be at all (especially given the matchup), but pretty okay for what it was, I guess" category.

The lower bowl was pretty close to full, the second deck was fairly full on the sides, but with noticeable stretches of empty seats (especially towards the ends), and the third deck was mostly empty, save for a handful of people who wanted the bird's eye view. I was disappointed in the number of students given how much they've been pushing things, but I have a feeling there will be a solid bump tonight (maybe the people who did the "student night" thing at the volleyball match go hockey tonight?). I hope so. The "experienced" students are fighting the good fight in guiding the shy newbies around them.

"Old people" ticket sales are looking good. Lower bowl is sold out, second deck only has single seats available, and the upper deck at least won't be barren. (And who knows, maybe more day-of-game sales after last night's result?)
    I tried to buy Upper Deck tickets for Sat game on StubHub...bc I prefer to sit up there and spread out a bit... and there were none available to buy. They must not want to make them available until to middle deck is full?? Dont get that at all. So anyway I didn't go bc of the stupidity of the good old $12 "purchase fee" and the inability to buy a few upper deck tickets.

Whoever's in charge of the tickets is making stupid decisions. I mean I would have bought nachos and a soda... that's $9 right there on top of the ticket price.
    Last edited by druzy192; 10-21-2019, 07:02 PM.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2019-2020: Time to Get Offensive

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
      Faceoff stats spreadsheet has been updated. Strangely the stats on the Saturday night game actually match the actual faceoff stats.

Maybe they have ghost faceoffs....
      Lindmark I do recall was really good at faceoffs last year, I'm surprised he's not very good at this point 42%. Byce is not good at all, 36%. Maybe a wing on that line can do better. Thanks for the stats, great to look at that critical stat.

Watched Saturday game, there was a little looser play in the D zone, but sticks got in the way as they should of cross zone passes to open guys. Kalynuk struggled and he shouldn't be. Maybe the C and expectations are too much pressure on him. The Hammer was great!

We'll know who these guys really are (ranking-wise) on 11/2 after PSU and Clarkson.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
        It's pretty simple Timmy:

Providence lost to Holy Cross, who lost to Merrimack, who lost to the Badgers. Transitive hockey property =[(#6) Badgers > (#7) Province'd]!
        Using that system the FB team should be ranked -45 right now.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by druzy192 View Post
          I tried to buy Upper Deck tickets for Sat game on StubHub...bc I prefer to sit up there and spread out a bit... and there were none available to buy. They must not want to make them available until to middle deck is full?? Dont get that at all. So anyway I didn't go bc of the stupidity of the good old $12 "purchase fee" and the inability to buy a few upper deck tickets.

Whoever's in charge of the tickets is making stupid decisions. I mean I would have bought nachos and a soda... that's $9 right there on top of the ticket price.
          As far as I know StubHub is only resale tickets. If nobody has bought the tickets there are none posted for resale.

If you want tickets the UWBadgers.com website is the primary source for "first sale" tickets. They would likely have shown tons of 300 tickets available, but still with large fees and charges.

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
            I'll start up a post that I'll try to update weekly to keep track of important stats

Record: 1-1-0
            USCHO Poll: 17
            USA Today Poll: RV (18)
            PWR: 18
            RPI: 18
            KRACH: not available
            Scoring: 7.00 GPG; 1st
            Defense: 5.00 GAPG; 47th
            Power Play Goals: 5; 2nd
            Power Play Rate: 50%; 1st
            Penalty Kill Goals: 0; 1st
            Penalty Kill Rate: 100%, 1st
            Penalty Min per Game: 16.5; 5th (1st is worst)
            Shorthanded Goals Scored; 2; 1st
            Shorthanded Goals Allowed: 0, 1st
            Updates after the UMD series (W 6-2, W 3-1)

Record: 3-1-0
            USCHO Poll: 6
            USA Today Poll: 6
            PWR: 15
            RPI: 15
            KRACH: not available
            Scoring: 5.75 GPG; 1st
            Defense: 3.25 GAPG; 39th
            Power Play Goals: 7; 1st
            Power Play Rate: 38.89% (7 of 18); 3rd
            Penalty Kill Rate: 88.24% (15 of 17), 20th
            Penalty Min per Game: 13.75; 18th (1st is worst)
            Shorthanded Goals Scored; 3; 1st
            Shorthanded Goals Allowed: 0; 1st
            Team Faceoff: 48.7%; 30th

Comment

• Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
              As far as I know StubHub is only resale tickets. If nobody has bought the tickets there are none posted for resale.

If you want tickets the UWBadgers.com website is the primary source for "first sale" tickets. They would likely have shown tons of 300 tickets available, but still with large fees and charges.
              ^This. You're very rarely going to see upper deck tickets on StubHub, because they're typically the last to go, and almost nobody has season tickets up there. As a result, it's unlikely that people with 300-level tickets will try to offload their tickets they can't use on StubHub.

The UW ticket office will have plenty.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                Lindmark I do recall was really good at faceoffs last year, I'm surprised he's not very good at this point 42%. Byce is not good at all, 36%. Maybe a wing on that line can do better. Thanks for the stats, great to look at that critical stat.

Watched Saturday game, there was a little looser play in the D zone, but sticks got in the way as they should of cross zone passes to open guys. Kalynuk struggled and he shouldn't be. Maybe the C and expectations are too much pressure on him. The Hammer was great!

We'll know who these guys really are (ranking-wise) on 11/2 after PSU and Clarkson.
                Lindmark is really good at faceoffs. He led the USNTDP team in tournament faceoff percentage. I'm guessing it's because he is taking just some faceoffs instead of all of them.

Holloway got moved from wing the first weekend when he did not play that well back to center this past weekend when he seemed really dominant. It also meant Baker was a wing, and he really flew around on the forecheck at times which was great.

Lindmark has been good but maybe he'd be even better if they put him back at center. Not sure why they want Pelton-Byce in that spot.

Comment

Daniel Lebedeff is the Big Ten 1st star of the week. Stopped 57 of 60 shots, .950 sv% and 1.51 GAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post
                    Daniel Lebedeff is the Big Ten 1st star of the week. Stopped 57 of 60 shots, .950 sv% and 1.51 GAA.
                    His save percentage is .896 overall, 46th in the country. That first weekend hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
                      His save percentage is .896 overall, 46th in the country. That first weekend hurt.
                      The two goals on Friday weren't his fault at all. D completely broke down during both of the power plays and allowed very easy goals. Saturday's goal came directly after Kalynuk fell down, so that was hard to pin on Lebedeff as well.
                      Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Lindy is doing fine in the face off circle. Keep in mind he's taking a lot of his draws on the PK against the opposing top Centerman. I could probably win a few PP draws with the advantage of extra guy so his numbers are going to be a bit lower than one might expect.

As far as why TPB is taking some face offs, Lindy is a righty, TPB a lefty, so they are splitting the draws on their side during 5x5 play.

I'd guess maybe to start, Tony put Bakes and TPB at center just based on their experience. Maybe give Holloway and Lindy a chance to get up to speed without the added responsibility of playing Center. Holloway is definitely up to speed and at C, where I think he'll stay now. He was really, really, good last weekend. Bakes was so much better playing wing. Probably helped him that the Doggies were a bit slower skating than BC's top line, who could all really fly. Holloway is just going to keep getting better, and as he does, that line is going to start to produce more.

I think TPB has a pretty good head for the game, and is pretty reliable so I think he's going to continue to spend some time there, but Lindy is a natural Center and a better skater so maybe he'll slowly take over as we go. Whatever they're doing, I can't complain, that line has been terrific through the first 4.

The Finnish Hammer can have a great year, he's got the chops. As it is with the rest of the team, it's all going to be about building consistency.
                        Originally posted by WiscTJK
                        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                        Originally posted by Timothy A
                        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

We talk about the forwards a lot but I was just thinking that Josh Ess has been excellent so far. He's had to play with a New Guy, ( Vorlicky has played pretty well, too. Much like Ess as a freshman but with some edge.) and with Jesper (who I thought was improved and did a nice job) and has handled it really well. He has just been a solid, dependable D that does his job every time he jumps over the boards. This team really needs him to continue to do just that.

I think Inamoto has been really good as well. Plus he has only 1 penalty through 4 games, and that on kind of a iffy call. Good stuff from him so far.
                          Originally posted by WiscTJK
                          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                          Originally posted by Timothy A
                          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

team of the week on CHN:

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...-Wisconsin.php
                            gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

I give up.

I realize it’s probably just selective quoting from CHN (who is also on the “it’s the goalie’s fault” bandwagon for our poor defense), but I’m astonished to see even TG kind of calling out Lebedeff needing to step up (as opposed to the porous defensemen shirking their duties).

I don’t know what to say anymore. Feel like Roddy Piper in They Live.
                              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                                I give up.

I realize it’s probably just selective quoting from CHN (who is also on the “it’s the goalie’s fault” bandwagon for our poor defense), but I’m astonished to see even TG kind of calling out Lebedeff needing to step up (as opposed to the porous defensemen shirking their duties).

I don’t know what to say anymore. Feel like Roddy Piper in They Live.
                                Could you imagine if the NCAA had statistics like high danger scoring chances against? I'm guessing it would be pretty eye opening. It's not Lebedeff's fault if he lets in 3 goals on high danger chances. They are considered "high danger" for a reason. People harp on me for picking apart the negatives (ex. Kalynuk this past weekend) of the defense, but I look at the game play like a coach. Like, if we do XYZ better we will be an absolute force. XYZ could be a number of things from not turning the puck over at our blue line (Kalynuk), recognizing a wide open man in the slot quicker (Miller), and (in years past) not taking stupid penalties (Inamoto). These guys are so gifted, there is a reason why they were NHL draft picks. If they clean up all these little things that I ***** about, that others ***** about and that Granato or Osiecki or whatever coach sees and wants to correct, then you will see them in the NHL. I do think the first comment from Granato about Lebedeff was an absolute joke. He did back track on it in his later comments though.

Comment

Working...
                                X