X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Things don’t look good.

We’re on Michigan State’s level after the early departures this offseason.

Probably on Colorado College or Miami level for the foreseeable future.
    Hard to argue against this. The end of the Sauer and Eaves eras knocked the Pollyanna out of me. Show me the wins and titles. Everything else is excuses.
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
      The 13-14 team was grossly overrated and found out in game 1 of the tourney.

The 90 team felt like the 05-06 team. They had the leadership and you could feel something special would happen.
      The 13-14 team was preseason number 3 and entered the tournament 4th overall in the pairwise. If how good a team is overall is completely negated by one loss, then I guess you could say they were "grossly overrated." But they were pretty much what we thought they were.

Comment

• Originally posted by druzy192 View Post
        THIS is why people wont fill the Kohl Center. Because they lose. Not because the fans are gone forever.
        I've said it before and I'll say it again:

If there were a big enough fan base that could regularly pack the Kohl Center right now, but they're just waiting for more success to spend the time and money, there would be a lot more (i.e. at least an order of magnitude more) buzz, discussion, etc around the team. People would make it a point to watch on TV. Fans would be showing up more this season.

I was walking downtown during the Thursday PSU game and didn't see one bar with BTN on. (Far from an exhaustive survey, but still.)

After week 2, there was every reason to be really high on the Badgers, and it was pretty barren for the Clarkson series.

They're not starting from zero, but they're still building from the figurative second floor up on that front, not simply waiting for that last ingredient: unrealistically high standards for this era (for ANY program) being met.
        Last edited by WiscDC; 11-05-2019, 09:32 AM.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2019-2020: Time to Get Offensive

We've been ragging on the defense, but we've only scored 7 goals the last 4 games.

Step yo' game up.
          "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

• Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
            The 13-14 team was preseason number 3 and entered the tournament 4th overall in the pairwise. If how good a team is overall is completely negated by one loss, then I guess you could say they were "grossly overrated." But they were pretty much what we thought they were.
            Ymmv. Chuck and several posters were talking NCAA title possibilities and I just didn’t see it. And imo they were nowhere near talented UW squads who missed out on titles like 82 or 92 to name a couple.
            Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
              After week 2, there was every reason to be really high on the Badgers, and it was pretty barren for the Clarkson series.
              In recent years they just don't draw well in October. I was honestly shocked the UMD series was "so" well attended. They should just play on the road until November.
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                In recent years they just don't draw well in October. I was honestly shocked the UMD series was "so" well attended. They should just play on the road until November.
                I think the staff has some work to do to with this group yet. They are normally pretty active juggling forward lines and their lack of wanting to move things around is not a good idea IMHO.

Get Baker to the 3rd line wing. He is bad at faceoffs and cost the team a goal off a draw in the defensive zone Thursday. I just about ripped my big screen off the wall when I figured out who took that draw.

Holloway seems way more comfortable at Center than wing.

Try Ahcan, Ty Pelton-Byce and maybe even Lindmark in the top 6 even if they kill penalties. (Lindmark is so great at faceoffs though). This team has not been good 5 on 5.

Nobody else has commented, but I think Caufield's size and defense are a liability. Sean Dhooghe seems better at protecting the puck and attacking players that have the puck. If he moves up after this year it will be a mistake for offense only IMO.

I think Holloway has been the best forward so far when healthy and clicking on all cylinders.

The defensemen need to start doing the basics well. Cover the front of the net instead of sending two guys into the corner, quit screening the goaltender, clear out for the goaltender, etc.

Because this team is young their improvement curve COULD BE STEEPER than other clubs. Will it be?

Just needed to empty out all the stuff rattling around my brain.

Comment

• Per Todd Milewski-

Saw a couple new forward lines at #Badgers practice today: Roman Ahcan on the left side with Dylan Holloway and Sean Dhooghe, and Tarek Baker with Ty Pelton-Byce and Owen Lindmark.

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
                    Updates after the Clarkson series (L 0-4, W 4-3)

Record: 4-2-0
                    USCHO Poll: 7
                    USA Today Poll: (not yet released, will update)
                    PWR: 8
                    RPI: 8
                    KRACH: not available
                    Scoring: 4.5 GPG; 2nd
                    Defense: 3.33 GAPG; 44th
                    Power Play Goals: 7; 1st
                    Power Play Rate: 25.00% (7 of 28); 8th
                    Penalty Kill Rate: 90.91% (20 of 22), 20th
                    Penalty Min per Game: 10.83; 36th (1st is worst)
                    Shorthanded Goals Scored; 3; 1st
                    Shorthanded Goals Allowed: 0; 1st
                    Team Faceoff: 50.6%; 22nd
                    Updates after the Penn State series (L 1-6, L 2-4)

Record: 4-4-0
                    USCHO Poll: 12
                    USA Today Poll: 12
                    PWR: 20
                    RPI: 20
                    KRACH: not available
                    Scoring: 3.75 GPG; 12th
                    Defense: 3.75 GAPG; 51st
                    Power Play Goals: 8; 2nd
                    Power Play Rate: 22.22% (8 of 36); 19th
                    Penalty Kill Rate: 78.12% (25 of 32), 43rd
                    Penalty Min per Game: 13.75; 14th (1st is worst)
                    Shorthanded Goals Scored; 3; 1st
                    Shorthanded Goals Allowed: 0; 1st
                    Team Faceoff: 49.1%; 29th

Comment

• Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                      IMO, Caufield is gone; that guy has a chip on his shoulder (and a heart to match),the size of Aaron Rodgers' when he was passed up. Holloway...probably gone. Turcotte hasn't shown me anything yet for being a #5 overall pick, but I'm giving him a couple more weeks as a Mulligan.
                      Holloway hasn’t even been drafted yet. For instance, if the Wild were to take him in the top 10, I would definitely see him back next year.

Also, Turcotte has been awesome. He’s not going to wow you with anything, but he does everything really well. He’s like a Koivu/Kopitar/Bergeron type.

Comment

Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post
                        Holloway hasn’t even been drafted yet. For instance, if the Wild were to take him in the top 10, I would definitely see him back next year.

Also, Turcotte has been awesome. He’s not going to wow you with anything, but he does everything really well. He’s like a Koivu/Kopitar/Bergeron type.
                        It doesn't matter.
                        *He has NO ties to the Badgers, Madison, or the state.
                        *If he and his "family advisor" see that the Badger experience isn't making him better OR it's holding him back, and the team is going nowhere........

*He could go to the AHL.
                        *Get paid.
                        *Play more than 20 games.
                        *Get NHL type coaching.
                        Last edited by MadCityRich; 11-07-2019, 08:33 PM.
                        "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

• Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                          *Get NHL type coaching.
                          I see what you did there.
                          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                            It doesn't matter.
                            *He has NO ties to the Badgers, Madison, or the state.
                            *If he and his "family advisor" see that the Badger experience isn't making him better OR it's holding him back, and the team is going nowhere........

*He could go to the AHL.
                            *Get paid.
                            *Play more than 20 games.
                            *Get NHL type coaching.

On the flip side, it's clear Holloway really wants to be here. He endured massive pressure from the WHL in order to be a Badger, first from Everett and then when Winnipeg traded a 5th and conditional 1st and 2nd round picks just to get his rights this summer. He could be starring at home right now in Major Junior in front of big crowds, but he stayed the course and was totally committed to coming to Madison.
                            I know who his advisor is and there's no reason to think anyone there would push him to leave early. As with all these guys, it will depend largely on which team drafts him. There is some talk lately around the NHL about how Detroit is having more success in player development by letting their kids percolate longer at lower levels, more the way everyone used to before the CBA changed and made youngsters cheap labor. I think they've been smart and hopefully that catches on.

All these guys should play two minimum IMO. You could argue Caufield is only going to be asked to shoot the puck so he could do that anytime, including right now. But if he wants to be more than just a PP shooter guy, he should probably practice and lift weights and prepare until he's 20 at least. He probably won't, but he should.
                            Originally posted by WiscTJK
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                            Originally posted by Timothy A
                            Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
                              Nobody else has commented, but I think Caufield's size and defense are a liability. Sean Dhooghe seems better at protecting the puck and attacking players that have the puck. If he moves up after this year it will be a mistake for offense only IMO.
                              On C Caufield's size and puck protection:

Every now and then, he seems to try to make a lot of big plays that simply won't work, and that's when he ends up on the ice in one direction while the puck is going the other direction. I'm particularly thinking of those plays where he's taking on a 1-on-2 situation for a big payoff if he can juuuuussst get that pass or shot away on the other side.

Other times, he CAN make big plays and it's awesome. It looks like he sometimes digs into the bag of tricks that worked consistently last year but not at this level (he did play some college teams, of course). Hopefully that's one of those "steep improvement curve" situations for the talented freshman.

It kinda-sorta reminds me of what Devils fans have said about Jack Hughes in his first handful of NHL games versus his more recent games, with the obvious difference that Caufield had the smaller jump and has been producing from the get-go.

This comparison may be a ridiculous and big stretch to a very different sport, but I'm thinking of Lauren Carlini at the beginning versus later on in her college career. (Might be a good comparison in that it's a hyped up freshman showing obvious talent right away.) Her immediate impact was obvious, and she wowed us with the tip plays when she dumped the ball on 2. After more time in the Big Ten, she seemed to reel it in and therefore attempt it less often, but when she did, it always seemed like the right play (often one that other setters probably don't make). She probably made that play just as often, but the unsuccessful attempts (which almost amount to a free-ball giveaway) were replaced by better attacking chances. I have no stats or comprehensive film study to back this up, so I could be talking out of my аss.

We've seen the talent, and it's reasonable to hope for noticeable improvement (even on top of his already high level) as the season goes on for C Caufield.
                              Last edited by WiscDC; 11-08-2019, 10:39 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                                He could be starring at home right now in Major Junior in front of big crowds,
                                Hey now, as much as we bash ourselves for attendance woes, even mediocre Badgers crowds must easily beat the WHL (especially since their biggest draws are in more cavernous venues)!

Comment

Working...
                                X