• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2019-2020: Time to Get Offensive

Jesus Christ. This is a beating.
    “Throw in the towel!”
    Originally posted by reBlur
    the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
      I'm predicting two more goals for Caufield tonight. Good luck.
      Probably time for him to score a couple more. If you guys can get even mediocre defense/goaltending look out.

Comment

11 on 23 shots...don't see that every day

Comment

I picked the wrong night not to listen in
          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
            I picked the wrong night not to listen in
            1070 will have the highlights in probably 10ish minutes!

Comment

Toward the end Holloway was taking faceoffs in place of Baker. Won most of them. I think they gotta bring Pelton Byce up to play with Holloway and the Dhoogster. Holloway is talented and he needs another set up guy to play with.

Comment

They were down 3-2 early in the second before turning it on. Merrimac has 16 true freshman and they still allowed 5 goals.
                gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Maybe not the best competition, but 11 goals is 11 goals.
                  If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                    I'm predicting two more goals for Caufield tonight. Good luck.
                    Can you pick me some lottery numbers?

Comment

We watched the Merrimack broadcast, don't be fooled by the 11 goals. UW has no ability to sustain a forecheck, even against a team with 54 freshmen, the transition D is bad and the coverage in the D zone is bad. On Merrimack's 3rd goal, a 2 on 1 that ended up being a 1-0, the D back was Cole Caulfield, I have no idea where the real D were. It wasn't even a shooting gallery with 11 goals, the Merrimack goalies were so bad the puck just went in during the 2nd period. And the 1st period for UW had no more than 4 even strength SOG, a trend from the BC game. I find this game very troubling that UW could not have sustained periods of O zone time and the D was sloppy. And anyone who wants Berry ahead of the Hammer didn't watch tonight's game. Sure Barry came in cold, but he had a save percent of 0% after the first 2 shots he faced. This was the kind of team UW should have continually hemmed in their D zone and outshot them 40 to 20. It didn't happen. Don't be fooled by the score. I bet if I had seen the BC game, I'd be on thinner tonight.
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                        We watched the Merrimack broadcast, don't be fooled by the 11 goals. UW has no ability to sustain a forecheck, even against a team with 54 freshmen, the transition D is bad and the coverage in the D zone is bad. On Merrimack's 3rd goal, a 2 on 1 that ended up being a 1-0, the D back was Cole Caulfield, I have no idea where the real D were. It wasn't even a shooting gallery with 11 goals, the Merrimack goalies were so bad the puck just went in during the 2nd period. And the 1st period for UW had no more than 4 even strength SOG, a trend from the BC game. I find this game very troubling that UW could not have sustained periods of O zone time and the D was sloppy. And anyone who wants Berry ahead of the Hammer didn't watch tonight's game. Sure Barry came in cold, but he had a save percent of 0% after the first 2 shots he faced. This was the kind of team UW should have continually hemmed in their D zone and outshot them 40 to 20. It didn't happen. Don't be fooled by the score. I bet if I had seen the BC game, I'd be on thinner tonight.
                        Well put.

And like i’ve Been saying for a while now Wisconsin hockey is in trouble.

How the hell will they make the playoffs giving up 5 goals per game? The BC, BU’s of the world who play smart and are loaded with talent will kick the **** out of UW.

Oz has clearly lost it with regard to teaching defense. The goalies are terrible, they stilll have problems with face offs and seriously, with an influx of talent like they have this is the end product???

I think .500 is a realistic goal and if that happens, fire the entire staff.
                        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Here's a link to some highlights from Merrimack: https://youtu.be/oZ2JSnH3Ydc

Mike Vorlicky left in the first with an upper body injury and did not return. As I had said, I thought he played really solid vs. BC, tough to see him go down when he needs the reps and we need the physical 6th D. Hopefully it's just precautionary and he's back in the lineup soon.

What can you say about an 11-5 win? Off to a decent 2-0 start, started to play pond hockey and gave up a couple on very poor defensive plays. Then a 5 on 3 rush gets turned around the other way for a long breakout and the boys are suddenly in the hole 3-2. Lots of credit to Pelton-Byce- Lindy- Achan for playing hard shifts the way you're supposed to and getting the thing headed the right way. Then there was the smell of blood in the water and it was just off to the races and a crazy 10-3 lead on a bunch of snipes and a couple more snipes that were stopped but cleaned up by Badgers at the net. At that point I know we'd all like to have seen the boys play disciplined hockey. Get back and support the D, go hard on the forecheck, cycle the puck, etc. But let's face it, when you have a seven goal lead, your foot's off the gas and you're just cheating high in the zone hoping to be the next guy on the score sheet when somebody else makes a play. Wound up only winning by 6. Boohoo.

Just to be clear, they skated one more Freshman than we did. Their Fr. don't have near the pedigree, obviously, but they're mostly overage Canadians that have played quite a bit of hockey. They aren't skating 15 kids straight out of High school if that's the impression out there. Merrimack isn't going to win a lot of games, but they have some guys that can play and they'll probably get a handful in a rebuilding year. Badgers should crush them and they did. Lots to learn from this weekend, hopefully the boys soak it on and take a step forward before the home opener.
                          Originally posted by WiscTJK
                          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                          Originally posted by Timothy A
                          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by druzy192 View Post
                            Toward the end Holloway was taking faceoffs in place of Baker. Won most of them. I think they gotta bring Pelton Byce up to play with Holloway and the Dhoogster. Holloway is talented and he needs another set up guy to play with.
                            I think Holloway took all but one draw for that line on the night. He went 9-4. Bakes just did not have a good weekend I didn't think. I don't know what it was but he just didn't seem himself at all. I was critical of his play Friday, and I don't think he played particularly well most of Saturday. Maybe he's battling something, or maybe he is out of place, but I agree that we can't get that kind of play from a top line. Be interesting to see if there's a shake up for next week.

Zimmer is apparently ill, but when he's healthy, he'll likely have a chance in the line up somewhere. I thought Messner was really good this weekend and so was Lindy. Moving either of them up might slow them down on the pk though, and right now the pk looks great. What to do...
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                              On the third goal, Emberson was leading the break, Miller jumped on the wing and it was a 5-3 rush with Caufield trailing the play. The shot missed and jumped on a Merrimack stick and (to their credit) they launched it deep on a break out pass. Caufield peeled off and back as the shot went in and everybody got below the circles, but he was beat by the pass. Obviously Miller had responsibility as the last D in but the puck came to his side and he went deep for it. Bad decision, but that's fire wagon hockey for you. At least Caufield was aware enough to peel back and give it a go.

I don't think this is a team that is going to shoot 40 shots very many times, especially early in the year. They aren't going to launch it from the Blue line and crash the net a lot. They are going to work it low and across to one time it or get it to a guy in the slot, or on the back door. They are going to score on rushes and they're going to score on a relatively high percentage of shots and have a high number of possessions. It will perhaps be a problem that they are passing up too many shots at times, but they still aren't going to just throw it at the net a lot, I don't think.

If I went back over several years I could come up with thousands of posts trashing the boring, defensive style of play and demanding heads roll and a return to the old days of snipers and fire wagon Hockey. Well it's here. Saturday is exactly what it looked like in 1977. Just score a lot of freakin' goals and don't sweat the small stuff. Now I see demands for heads to roll because we got just what we asked for.

If we don't draw another penalty the rest of the year, the boys will break the 42-year-old 40% PP record. Would be crazy to think they could even come close to that over a whole season, but I'll tell ya', it's exciting when that top PP takes the ice.
                              I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                                We watched the Merrimack broadcast, don't be fooled by the 11 goals. UW has no ability to sustain a forecheck, even against a team with 54 freshmen, the transition D is bad and the coverage in the D zone is bad. On Merrimack's 3rd goal, a 2 on 1 that ended up being a 1-0, the D back was Cole Caulfield, I have no idea where the real D were. It wasn't even a shooting gallery with 11 goals, the Merrimack goalies were so bad the puck just went in during the 2nd period. And the 1st period for UW had no more than 4 even strength SOG, a trend from the BC game. I find this game very troubling that UW could not have sustained periods of O zone time and the D was sloppy. And anyone who wants Berry ahead of the Hammer didn't watch tonight's game. Sure Barry came in cold, but he had a save percent of 0% after the first 2 shots he faced. This was the kind of team UW should have continually hemmed in their D zone and outshout them 40 to 20. It didn't happen. Don't be fooled by the score. I bet if I had seen the BC game, I'd be on thinner tonight.

It amazes me to see some of you going to the most negative take you can possibility come up with time after time. You know who you are. Give it a rest. These are kids, not Pro's. It's impossible to draw very many conclusions after 2 games except that the Badgers are gifted with offensive talent. Talk to me in January. If we can get 20 wins the NCAA's are possible. Schedule is tough, we did not play well in our own end this weekend. In the past you were begging for goals.

Comment

Working...
                                X