X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2019-2020: Time to Get Offensive

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
    I think we just all hope for more. It is a Minnesota Duluth team that has won back-to-back titles and it looks like almost all of the 300 section will be largely empty.

I long for the old days when the Kohl center was rocking, but those days appear to be gone.... Unless we can put together some sort of multiple Frozen Four runs and a possible championship, we aren't going to see a full barn except during rare 1 v. 2 matchups.
    I get it, I just tire of the "it isn't what is used to be" crowd on this board that just moans and complains without taking any action.

Hey look everyone! We are going to have the largest home opener attendance in 5 years!
    So? It won't be a sellout like it was that one time 13 years ago...when we had signs and banners and noise makers and...

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
      I think we just all hope for more. It is a Minnesota Duluth team that has won back-to-back titles and it looks like almost all of the 300 section will be largely empty.

I long for the old days when the Kohl center was rocking, but those days appear to be gone.... Unless we can put together some sort of multiple Frozen Four runs and a possible championship, we aren't going to see a full barn except during rare 1 v. 2 matchups.
      Even just one Frozen Four run could make a significant long-term difference. After making the Final Four in 2013, volleyball's attendance shot up 40% the next year, because a ton of newbies got exposed the previous year. They had an entry point and ended up getting into it. Sustaining the success played a big role, but when we're talking about people who had never gotten into college volleyball in the first place, the Badgers volleyball team just became a sports team to follow and care about. Demand for tickets will always go down after down periods, but long term fans can absolutely be gained along the way if the team was hidden from the mainstream for a long time and suddenly got pushed into local sports fans' attention. A lot of them just end up liking the sport and team (and probably relevant to Badgers hockey, the D-I college game specifically).

I can also point to the Washington Capitals - people fell in love with hockey when the "rock the red" era got going. While you see a few more empty seats during down periods, the baseline was raised when the team got good, the bandwagon heated up, and people caught wind of how fun it was to go to games (which snowballed on itself), follow the Capitals as a fan, and to enjoy the sport of hockey. That's beyond some quick bandwagon appeal - that's "being a Caps fan all the time" appeal.

The right plays at the right time to get two key wins in March would make a huge difference. In the meantime, cheer as loudly as you can this weekend. Apparently student numbers are looking good, though I'm not sure how much is season tickets and how much is specific to this week (if I'm not mistaken they've made it easier for students to buy tickets without season tickets given the overall situation)......but in either case, there will be a high percentage of newbies who need to see and feel what Badgers hockey games are like and what they mean.

And if you think that's a bunch of crap, then cheer loudly and often anyway, because it's more fun.

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
        I'll start up a post that I'll try to update weekly to keep track of important stats

Record: 1-1-0
        USCHO Poll: 17
        USA Today Poll: RV (18)
        PWR: 18
        RPI: 18
        KRACH: not available
        Scoring: 7.00 GPG; 1st
        Defense: 5.00 GAPG; 47th
        Power Play Goals: 5; 2nd
        Power Play Rate: 50%; 1st
        Penalty Kill Goals: 0; 1st
        Penalty Kill Rate: 100%, 1st
        Penalty Min per Game: 16.5; 5th (1st is worst)
        Shorthanded Goals Scored; 2; 1st
        Shorthanded Goals Allowed: 0, 1st
        Faceoff %?
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I get it, I just tire of the "it isn't what is used to be" crowd on this board that just moans and complains without taking any action.
          Besides going to the games, what other action might a person take?

Comment

Hey look everyone! We are going to have the largest home opener attendance in 5 years!
            I am very encouraged by this. Usually attendance is weak to start, then gets better as the season goes on. I think a known old tyme opponent does help a lot. If Merrimack was here this weekend I think the numbers would be lower. Overall the starting home schedule is pretty good....UMD, Clarkson, UND, UM. Can't complain about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              Faceoff %?
              Had to dig a bit for that one...48.8%, good for 32nd

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                And if you think that's a bunch of crap, then cheer loudly and often anyway, because it's more fun.
                Well, I will be there tomorrow night with my daughters for our first game at the KC in nearly 5 years. Can't wait to be back there again.
                Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                  Besides going to the games, what other action might a person take?
                  That was directed mostly towards the "UW should do this, how can they be so stupid as to not do this?!?" crowd.

Be it bringing back the Blue Line Club, or serving alcohol at games, or allowing signs in the crowd, or providing lower cost tickets, or providing lower cost concessions, or providing lower cost parking, or getting more games on TV, or getting more high end recruits, or getting more solid 4-year recruits, or having the band play more, or having the mighty mites play more, or having the big flag over the student section more, or having someone sign the national anthem more, or having more alum come back for ceremonial puck drops, or having the PA guy announce what is being reviewed, or offering better multi-game ticket packages, or collecting fewer fees when purchasing tickets online, or taking down the conference/tournament/ff banners, or getting rid of the programs, or not having the stars on the backs of the jerseys anymore...people on this board like to complain.

How many of those people have taken the time to thoughtfully and constructively reach out to someone at UW to address a situation? I've seen some people share the exchanges that they have had with Jason King. They send a grumpy ranting e-mail, and he replies as nicely as he can. If you take the time to be constructive and explain your stance and offer possible solutions, those conversations play out much differently.

Comment

That was directed mostly towards the "UW should do this, how can they be so stupid as to not do this?!?" crowd.

Be it bringing back the Blue Line Club, or serving alcohol at games, or allowing signs in the crowd, or providing lower cost tickets, or providing lower cost concessions, or providing lower cost parking, or getting more games on TV, or getting more high end recruits, or getting more solid 4-year recruits, or having the band play more, or having the mighty mites play more, or having the big flag over the student section more, or having someone sign the national anthem more, or having more alum come back for ceremonial puck drops, or having the PA guy announce what is being reviewed, or offering better multi-game ticket packages, or collecting fewer fees when purchasing tickets online, or taking down the conference/tournament/ff banners, or getting rid of the programs, or not having the stars on the backs of the jerseys anymore...people on this board like to complain.

How many of those people have taken the time to thoughtfully and constructively reach out to someone at UW to address a situation? I've seen some people share the exchanges that they have had with Jason King. They send a grumpy ranting e-mail, and he replies as nicely as he can. If you take the time to be constructive and explain your stance and offer possible solutions, those conversations play out much differently.
                    You forgot to specifically mention the fact that a pretzel and cheese costs $7... $7! (That's quite literally the only Badger Hockey complaint I have that I cannot get past, nor get my head around... I just had to have a kid who loves a pretzel and cheese at a hockey game...)

Comment

• Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
                      Had to dig a bit for that one...48.8%, good for 32nd
                      Can you share where you find this? Curious if they have it broken down by player?

Comment

I'll start up a post that I'll try to update weekly to keep track of important stats

Record: 1-1-0
                        USCHO Poll: 17
                        USA Today Poll: RV (18)
                        PWR: 18
                        RPI: 18
                        KRACH: not available
                        Scoring: 7.00 GPG; 1st
                        Defense: 5.00 GAPG; 47th
                        Power Play Goals: 5; 2nd
                        Power Play Rate: 50%; 1st
                        Penalty Kill Goals: 0; 1st
                        Penalty Kill Rate: 100%, 1st
                        Penalty Min per Game: 16.5; 5th (1st is worst)
                        Shorthanded Goals Scored; 2; 1st
                        Shorthanded Goals Allowed: 0, 1st
                        taking over for me. That's excellent.
                        gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
                          Can you share where you find this? Curious if they have it broken down by player?
                          https://www.collegehockeynews.com/stats/ click on faceoff %

Nothing on individual faceoff % there or on the UW Badgers website..... https://uwbadgers.com/cumestats.aspx...key&year=2019&
                          Last edited by WiscTJK; 10-17-2019, 04:26 PM.
                          gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

Comment

I am one of those that has reached out and Jason has been very decent to deal with. But it took years for anything to happen positive that I mentioned and the two biggest in lowering concession prices / offering deals and lower cost tickets just seems to be off their radar. So I just buy a ridiculously priced soda or water and refill in the bubbler.
                            Last edited by WiscTJK; 10-17-2019, 04:35 PM.

Comment

So? It won't be a sellout like it was that one time 13 years ago...when we had signs and banners and noise makers and...
                              I think that is fair, but it is also fair that some of us got / are sick of the constant optimism all the time. Especially during the puppies crapping on the carpet days.....

Comment

Not good?

Did you read the article?

This will be the largest home opener crowds in at least 5 years...

From the article:
                                Over the last four seasons, the first game in the Face-Off package (the first game of a series) averaged an announced attendance of 7,441, with a 9,012 average for the initial game in the Slap-Shot package (the second game).

In 2014, the Badgers drew announced crowds of 10,605 and 13,621 for the home-opening series against another former Western Collegiate Hockey Association rival, North Dakota.
                                8700 right now for Friday is good? What the ****? If that's OK with you, it speaks volumes.
                                "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Working...
                                X