This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2019-2020: Time to Get Offensive

I knew I heard the name Abate before. Former Wisconsin recruit. Had committed to play for Eaves. He scored the game winning goal...
    Last edited by digitalbooya; 11-10-2019, 09:37 AM.

Comment

The most discussed topic going into this year was the incoming elite talent and if the staff can coach 'em up OR be able to handle them. What seems to be lost is what will they do to improve the returning players and the team in general. Im sure 99% of the fans are disappointed to date.

The same problems remain; power play, face offs, defense, DISCIPLINE.

Where do we see team improvement over last year?

Of the returning players, who has progressed or regressed?

I'm beginning to put my socks back on.
      "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

-S. Dhooghe has 1g 0a in his last 6 games
        -Pelton-Byce has 1g 0a in his last 6 games
        -Holloway has 0g 1a in his last 5 games
        -Baker has 0g 2a in his last 7 games
        -Lindmark has 1g 2a in his last 7 games
        -Weissbach has 0g 3a in his last 6 games

-Ahcan has 3g 3a in his last 5 games
        -Turcotte has 3g 1a in his last 4 games (has a point in every game he has played in except the series at PSU)
        -Caufield has 2g 3a in his last 7 games (3 game goal scoring drought for "Goal")

Ladies and gentlemen, our top 9. Three guys doing great to decent offensively and six passengers. Looking them all over, Weissbach and Holloway are the biggest disappointments for me based on my expectations of them and their role.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post

Where do we see team improvement over last year?

Of the returning players, who has progressed or regressed?
          IMO:

Guys who are improved over last year-

Inamoto - Weissbach - Gorniak - Messner - Achan - Peltonen - Lebedeff

Guys who are good and just play the same every shift so it's hard to say they're better, but likely they are-

Emberson - Ess

Guys who are not better, are worse, or are struggling to meet expectations-

Kalynuk - Miller - Baker - Dhooghe

Mixed bag/ limited ice time / hard to say:

Mersch -J Dhooghe - Zimmer - B Caufield - Jackie Bear

I thought Dhooghe was better the last 3-4 games, but man, he's had 8-10 wide open nets he's fanned on the last 2 weeks. Have to have those goals. Miller has no nastiness at all to his game, which he did have before getting injured toward the end of last year. He's just not the same to me. Wyatt is a talented player, but he's not making the guys around him better, he's making them work harder. Bakes -- I don't know, he seems a little lost. I think maybe he's been trying to do too much on and off the ice. Just get back to a simple game and lead by example with hard work.
          Originally posted by WiscTJK
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
          Originally posted by Timothy A
          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

It was good to see quite a few Badger fans last night. Glad they had good weather to drive home in. I thought your team looked pretty good.
            UNLEASH THE FURY!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLMMx3MRi0s

Comment

• Originally posted by MAVFANJEFF View Post
              It was good to see quite a few Badger fans last night. Glad they had good weather to drive home in. I thought your team looked pretty good.
              Baxter looks like a great venue. It's an easy drive to Omaha, but that's one trip in the real WCHA days I regret not taking.

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                The Country club atmosphere thing sounds a little like you'd like them to be skating Herbies after the game tonight. That was all fine and good 40 years ago, but no successful coach today coaches like that. Because it doesn't work anymore.

I listened to Oz on the post game and I think he's pretty much right. (Also he's pretty ****ed at Baker for taking a penalty after the horn down a goal in a game that your team was dominating to that point.) Oz can't make the break out passes for the guys, Strobie can't win the puck battles and Granato can't put it in the net. They can show them how, but at some point the guys on the ice have to do the job. They are clearly capable because they play really well for long stretches. But when adversity pops up they repeatedly freeze up, lose their mojo, and go into a nosedive. You can coach maturity until your blue in the face but maturity doesn't come from coaching, it comes from experience and understanding and at some point these guys will get it. When that is, is anybody's guess. Could be tonight. Could be next week. Could be next year.
                Other coaches with less talented players do make their defenseman make simple breakout passes.. do make their players get down and block shots.. do make their players work hard and win battles in the corners...do pick up the open guy in the slot. These are simple non talent related things.

Well I dont know if the coach "makes" them... but they do it. And if you've watched the Badgers over the last few years then you know this team doesn't do it. They just dont. And I'm about sick of watching this underachieving crap.

Comment

• Originally posted by druzy192 View Post
                  Other coaches with less talented players do make their defenseman make simple breakout passes.. do make their players get down and block shots.. do make their players work hard and win battles in the corners...do pick up the open guy in the slot. These are simple non talent related things.

Well I dont know if the coach "makes" them... but they do it. And if you've watched the Badgers over the last few years then you know this team doesn't do it. They just dont. And I'm about sick of watching this underachieving crap.
                  Re: getting down and blocking shots - that is the one thing that is noticeable with the loss of Peter Tischke. He was a shot-blocking machine, and players around him followed suit simply out of respect for the Captain. I assume the coaches are teaching and advocating it, but it seems like one of those “in the trenches” things that needs a leader on the ice setting the example and I haven’t seen that yet this year. I know this is a more offensive-minded defense, but without that balance there is too much pressure on the G and it becomes a real problem when the goal-sniping youngsters hit a slump.

Comment

• Originally posted by MAVFANJEFF View Post
                    I was there with a crew. Really enjoyed the arena and all the fans were excellent, just the right amount of good natured banter.
                    Wisconsin Hockey: What're YOU looking at?

The number of times a poster posts per day is directly correlated with how dissatisfied he is with his relationship.

Comment

Yes the coaches can't play for the players, but they recruit them, they hand pick the guys they want and train them to play how they want them to play. Teams take on the personalities of their coaches. TG is a emotional, fiery guy. How many head coaches have that as their main characteristic?

I just think all the hype dis-serves the players by putting too much pressure on them. It does not help one bit.

Lately I've had this crazy thought...…..I miss Mike Eaves...…..I said it was crazy.
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                        Lately I've had this crazy thought...…..I miss Mike Eaves...…..I said it was crazy.
                        Tim, psychedelic mushrooms are illegal.

It's not THAT bad yet, at least the program is getting talent. Now, as many of us have been pounding, it's on the staff. I just want to see improvement even if it's baby steps. But......

Comment

Originally posted by sunprairie View Post
                          Re: getting down and blocking shots - that is the one thing that is noticeable with the loss of Peter Tischke. He was a shot-blocking machine, and players around him followed suit simply out of respect for the Captain. I assume the coaches are teaching and advocating it, but it seems like one of those “in the trenches” things that needs a leader on the ice setting the example and I haven’t seen that yet this year. I know this is a more offensive-minded defense, but without that balance there is too much pressure on the G and it becomes a real problem when the goal-sniping youngsters hit a slump.

Interesting fact: There are somewhere around 1100 D1 regular skaters. Peter was 17th in the nation last year in blocked shots, Inamoto 40th. Right now, Inamoto and Miller are tied at 21st in the country with 17 apiece. So the reality seems to be that those two are doing a pretty good job of blocking shots, despite the perception.

Emberson is 64th. Those three plus Ess and Lindmark each have more than Kalynuk though, which considering ice time, may say something about Wyatt's work there. Kind of a small sample yet, to be fair.
                          Originally posted by WiscTJK
                          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                          Originally posted by Timothy A
                          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

5-5 a third thru the season. 2-4 since sweeping UMD. Mediocre isn't going to cut it this year.

Right now I say golden domer's sweep us this weekend.

Time to wake up and get it together......
                            Last edited by WiscTJK; 11-11-2019, 10:23 AM.
                            gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

• Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                              5-5 a third thru the season. 2-4 since sweeping UMD. Mediocre isn't going to cut it this year.

This would never happen at an open Q and A at a luncheon but I would love to sit down with the 3 coaches, and maybe 5 or 6 of us, unplugged and off the record, to ask ANY questions without getting our shirts pulled over our heads and beat the **** up.

Comment

• Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post

The puppies need time to learn to climb the mountain🤣
                                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X