X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers IV: Culling the Herd

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
    Well, “it divides people”, kinda implies that. As if people weren’t already divided and the Bernie vs establishment thing didn’t/doesn’t break down along class lines more or less. Either way he hadn’t lost yet so there was no reason to bow out.
    No they were divided that was the problem. If Bernie stands up when it was obvious he was done (which was long before he did this) and says "We fought the good fight, we will continue to fight the good fight but she beat me fairly and now it is our job to help her defeat Trump" that would have gone a long ways towards closing the gap. Would she have won the General...I doubt it because she still would have screwed up in the 3 key states. It could be argued though that it may have made some difference in the Bernie supported states but probably not enough to win.

I am not blaming Bernie for her loss, but just because that may have been inevitable doesnt make his conduct all of a sudden ok. The Bernie Bros would have thrown a fit if Hillary was going to lose and refused to endorse...hell half the Democratic Party slapped her down when she tried to extend longer than needed when it was clear Obama won. That isnt how the game is played. When you have no road to victory you take your loss. I dont care who is running that is how the game is played.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      No they were divided that was the problem. If Bernie stands up when it was obvious he was done (which was long before he did this) and says "We fought the good fight, we will continue to fight the good fight but she beat me fairly and now it is our job to help her defeat Trump" that would have gone a long ways towards closing the gap. Would she have won the General...I doubt it because she still would have screwed up in the 3 key states. It could be argued though that it may have made some difference in the Bernie supported states but probably not enough to win.
      Right but that's essentially what he ended up doing, even if it wasn't as early as you wanted it to happen. I don't really see how the timing of it made any difference.

As for the Bernie ppl that voted Trump, we've been over this a million times. There's always going to be some percentage of any voting populating that votes the opposite party when their candidate loses. Like twice as many HRC voters voted for McCain over the first black president in 2008 despite the fact that he wanted to drag us into a third forever war, his solution to the economic problems was basically just austerity, and his campaign wasn't exactly devoid of racism. I don't have the numbers for the other side but I wouldn't doubt there were some Kasich supporters that voted for HRC or ones that voted for Kerry over Bush when McCain was the runner up etc. It just never got talked about because the preferred candidate won despite some insignificant portion of the electorate having zero impact in a not close election.
      Last edited by trixR4kids; 07-25-2019, 11:04 AM.

Comment

That people keep revisiting this is why I didn't want Bernie to run this time. Particularly since Warren gets us 80% of Bernie and for the 20% she misses she delivers another 20+% in additional value.

Warren/Harris and stay the course, folks. Let the dead bury the dead.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          That people keep revisiting this is why I didn't want Bernie to run this time. Particularly since Warren gets us 80% of Bernie and for the 20% she misses she delivers another 20+% in additional value.

Warren/Harris and stay the course, folks. Let the dead bury the dead.
          Are you saying you want that ticket or those are you #1/#2? I dont want either as Veep they are too valuable in the Senate.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Are you saying you want that ticket or those are you #1/#2? I dont want either as Veep they are too valuable in the Senate.
            I'm saying that as a ticket. I'm fine with replacing both in the Senate; those seats should be safe. Also, Kamala has bigger fish to fry and Liz aint gonna last forever, so I'd prefer to get young blood into those seats.

And in all honesty CA can give us a far, far more liberal Senator.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I'm saying that as a ticket. I'm fine with replacing both in the Senate; those seats should be safe. Also, Kamala has bigger fish to fry and Liz aint gonna last forever, so I'd prefer to get young blood into those seats.

And in all honesty CA can give us a far, far more liberal Senator.
              I just think Harris and Warren are wasted as Veeps. Veep is better for someone who needs on the job training like Pete. They wont be setting agenda anyways.

I am over the moon about either President though. Veep is a worthless position unless the Senate is 50/50. (or the President is a Cokehead Legacy )

I could be argued for other positions in cabinet just not Veep.
              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I just think Harris and Warren are wasted as Veeps. Veep is better for someone who needs on the job training like Pete. They wont be setting agenda anyways.

I am over the moon about either President though. Veep is a worthless position unless the Senate is 50/50. (or the President is a Cokehead Legacy )

I could be argued for other positions in cabinet just not Veep.
                OK, I'm fine with that. It can't be Pete if it's Warren, though (Rinso white). And it probably can't be Pete if it's Harris (Young and Younger).

So I give you: Warren/Booker or Castro; Harris/Inslee or... I dunno... Castro again? Maybe haul Amy's carcass out there to appease the Midwestern Mafia. (Why did Stupid Jenny Granholm have to be born in Poutinestan?)

Any takers?
                Last edited by Kepler; 07-25-2019, 12:26 PM.
                Cornell University

Comment

OK, I'm fine with that. It can't be Pete if it's Warren, though (Rinso white). And it probably can't be Pete if it's Harris (Young and Younger).

So I give you: Warren/Booker or Castro; Harris/Inslee or... I dunno... Castro again? Maybe haul Amy's carcass out there to appease the Midwestern Mafia. (Why did Stupid Jenny Granholm have to be born in Poutinestan?)

Any takers?
                  So that's why she never ran for President. Would have voted for her in a heartbeat.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    (Why did Stupid Jenny Granholm have to be born in Poutinestan?)
                    She would have been great, but unfortunately her predecessor left her with a mess that took forever to turn around and her successor painted all her efforts as just wasted time/money. Oh, and the car companies took a collective sh*t during her reign causing people to turn against her.

I'd have voted for her in a heartbeat. (And proudly did for her reelection for Governor.)
                    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Any takers?
                      Oh man Booker would scare the Bejesus out of the Old White Brigade. He is sort of the "Obama Translator" bit from Key and Peele in real life down to the crazy eyes.

Lest we forget Pete is a Gay Christian...so while he is white he is still quite the minority. Plus he is Midwest to offset the Coasties

Castro is a very intriguing choice and I really like him. Plus the optics with the Immigration Crisis would make it quite a fun story.

Inslee would be cool too because I dont see him moving to Veep as a net loss since he will be replaced by a Dem.

Amy no...stay in the Senate.

My thing is, the Senate needs every Dem it can so unless the position is helpful dont waste a spot on someone there. The House sure...not the Senate. that is why I am reticent about some of the choices ya know.
                      -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Any takers?
                        Harris/Inslee appeals. He was on NPR a week or so ago and impressed.

Comment

Lest we forget Pete is a Gay Christian...so while he is white he is still quite the minority.
                          He's not gonna satisfy The Root. We're all blue-eyed devils.
                          Cornell University

Comment

He's not gonna satisfy The Root. We're all blue-eyed devils.
                            Even with Harris...****. Maybe the Twitter losers are right and Harris really isnt Black
                            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Even with Harris...****. Maybe the Twitter losers are right and Harris really isnt Black
                              I just meant he doesn't count as a victim to them. They've got a patent pending. You don't know their pain.

The Root is where you go to hear upper middle class black college students lecture about privilege to poor white coal miners. Our universities have done them a disservice by taking their adolescent self-absorption, common to all of us, and magnifying it by merging it with systemic racism. They have no idea that what they feel is not the same as real oppression because how would they? The adults around them aren't doing their jobs.

Social life is supposed to beat that out of you, not reinforce it. The other group who society fails in this way is conservatives, who really do believe, as adults, that taxation is theft and the interference with property is too high a price to pay for mitigating actual human pain.
                              Last edited by Kepler; 07-25-2019, 01:44 PM.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Warren/Harris works. Puts Harris in a position to succeed Warren if she's the VP. Warren as VP does no good. She's already in her 70's and would be far more effective in the Senate.

VP doesn't have to be one of the 100 people running although I like the Inslee idea as it would signal a real commitment to addressing climate change. I'm just not sold on Buttigieg though. He's a good speaker but I still don't think being mayor of a city of 100K people should put you that close to the Presidency especially if its a geezer like Biden or Sanders who could keel over at any minute!
                                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Working...
                                X