Iowa, Nebraska are possibilities for Big Ten hockey: Startribune.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aparch View Post
    It's also the third AHL franchise in a decade in Iowa...
    The Iowa Stars/Chops were one franchise. They ran into trouble with the AHL due to some shady bank dealings. The franchise was sold and moved to the Austin, TX area. The current Iowa Wild are the former Houston Aeros.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Re: Iowa, Nebraska are possibilities for Big Ten hockey: Startribune.com

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
      There are 5 USHL teams in Iowa and another in Omaha on the IA/NE border. I have NO idea if that would translate to hockey in Iowa City, but the USHL wouldn't be there if there wasn't interest in the state.
      This part. This is the key part.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
        Iowa, Nebraska are possibilities for Big Ten hockey

Star Tribune

First of Three Part Series
        Let's give credit where credit is due. This article appeared on twincities.com, which is the website of the St. Paul Pioneer Press, not Star Tribune.

Comment

Originally posted by duluthguy View Post
          Let's give credit where credit is due. This article appeared on twincities.com, which is the website of the St. Paul Pioneer Press, not Star Tribune.
          I fixed it.
          Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
          dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
          wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Hockey at Illinois would be a win-win for Illini, Big Ten Conference
            Pioneer Press

I also posted this in the Illini thread.

Comment

I am late to this conversation, but I have a slightly different view. I attended the Univ of Nebraska (Lincoln) but am an "Omaha Boy" and am a big fan of UNOmaha hockey. I think a Husker Big10 hockey team would be a great thing all around. It would bring in thousands of new college hockey fans overnight. The rivalry between the Huskers and UNO would be awesome. And I don't think it would hurt UNO hockey anymore than Minnesota hurts UM-Duluth. Most UNO hockey fans won't drop the Mavericks because they were hockey fans without a team until UNO started the sport (after many decades the AHL franchise left town & left a void). The area can support 2 college hockey programs. Look at basketball: Creighton in Omaha finished 5th in the nation in attendance last year and Nebraska finished 11th (only because of the size limit of their arena).

Having said that, it's true that Nebraska has to focus on improving football, basketball, and baseball first (which they've started to do with the new AD and new head coaches). Title IX issues are real- would they add some women's sports or cut some men's sports? Don't worry about $$ to upgrade their arena. The Huskers can get their hands on a million dollars like chump change- they've got deep-pocketed backers. Would UNO's hockey suffer? Does UM-Duluth's suffer? At the end of the day, does a player want to go to a school where their sport is #1 (UNO) or #8 (Huskers)?

I think the Huskers will do it eventually (6-8 years) because there is some good money to be made and the Big10 nudges them. And when it happens it'll be great boost for college hockey in the Midwest.

Comment

Originally posted by MidWestMidMajor View Post
                I am late to this conversation, but I have a slightly different view. I attended the Univ of Nebraska (Lincoln) but am an "Omaha Boy" and am a big fan of UNOmaha hockey. I think a Husker Big10 hockey team would be a great thing all around. It would bring in thousands of new college hockey fans overnight. The rivalry between the Huskers and UNO would be awesome. And I don't think it would hurt UNO hockey anymore than Minnesota hurts UM-Duluth. Most UNO hockey fans won't drop the Mavericks because they were hockey fans without a team until UNO started the sport (after many decades the AHL franchise left town & left a void). The area can support 2 college hockey programs. Look at basketball: Creighton in Omaha finished 5th in the nation in attendance last year and Nebraska finished 11th (only because of the size limit of their arena).

Having said that, it's true that Nebraska has to focus on improving football, basketball, and baseball first (which they've started to do with the new AD and new head coaches). Title IX issues are real- would they add some women's sports or cut some men's sports? Don't worry about $$ to upgrade their arena. The Huskers can get their hands on a million dollars like chump change- they've got deep-pocketed backers. Would UNO's hockey suffer? Does UM-Duluth's suffer? At the end of the day, does a player want to go to a school where their sport is #1 (UNO) or #8 (Huskers)?

I think the Huskers will do it eventually (6-8 years) because there is some good money to be made and the Big10 nudges them. And when it happens it'll be great boost for college hockey in the Midwest.
                Bottom line - If Scott Frost gets the football program back on track, there will be plenty of money and enthusiasm to benefit other sports, including a possible hockey startup. On the other hand, a couple more 5-7 seasons and another contract buyout, and we can kiss it all goodbye.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                  Bottom line - If Scott Frost gets the football program back on track, there will be plenty of money and enthusiasm to benefit other sports, including a possible hockey startup. On the other hand, a couple more 5-7 seasons and another contract buyout, and we can kiss it all goodbye.
                  Money is already flowing in at an all time high thanks to the BTN.

I’m all in favor of more 5-7 seasons for Nebraska.
                  AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                    Money is already flowing in at an all time high thanks to the BTN.

I’m all in favor of more 5-7 seasons for Nebraska.
                    We don't even joke about that where I live.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                      We don't even joke about that where I live.
                      It’s been a fun time to be on the Hawkeye side of that growing rivalry.
                      AF 99

Comment

No way UNO can stop UNL from starting a team and the entire reason they put ice in Pinnacle Bank arena is for Husker hockey. Out of the gate it will definitely hurt UNO. After husker hockey fans see that their team will have to lose before they can win UNO fans that bolted will be back. I don't see Husker hockey ever being a priority even if it gets off the ground. All their eggs are in the football, baseball, volleyball right now. I for one will never change my loyalty.
                        UNLEASH THE FURY!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLMMx3MRi0s

Comment

Friends kid is playing for the Iowa club team. Since, Iowa City has a 5k hockey arena the word on the street the Hawkeyes are seriously looking at D1. Sounds like three years from now they would like to be playing a D1/Club schedule and then full Big Ten schedule by the fourth year. Interesting times.

Comment

University of Iowa men's club hockey team will call ImOn Ice arena in Cedar Rapids home

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/s...-year-20200211

Interesting. There is a 5,000 seat hockey arena being built right next to campus and they’ve been touting how the club team would play there along with U of Iowa volleyball. They have been searching for a main tenant hockey team for the USHL or the ECHL. A lot of people speculated Iowa Is looking at D1 hockey though.

Despite this, their ACHA club team signed a two year agreement to play in a large arena in Cedar Rapids, 30 minutes away. Same arena as a USHL team. The team cited reasons like getting their own locker room and better scheduling availability. They will sell merch and alcohol during games. I’m sure the university will be watching closely. If they can decently fill an arena 30 minutes away, how many tickets could they sell as D1 right near campus?

Comment

it’s hard to tell what means anything in the world of “varsity hockey speculation”, but that is a curious development to be sure.
                              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by slowe View Post
                                University of Iowa men's club hockey team will call ImOn Ice arena in Cedar Rapids home

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/s...-year-20200211

Interesting. There is a 5,000 seat hockey arena being built right next to campus and they’ve been touting how the club team would play there along with U of Iowa volleyball. They have been searching for a main tenant hockey team for the USHL or the ECHL. A lot of people speculated Iowa Is looking at D1 hockey though.

Despite this, their ACHA club team signed a two year agreement to play in a large arena in Cedar Rapids, 30 minutes away. Same arena as a USHL team. The team cited reasons like getting their own locker room and better scheduling availability. They will sell merch and alcohol during games. I’m sure the university will be watching closely. If they can decently fill an arena 30 minutes away, how many tickets could they sell as D1 right near campus?
                                I am an Iowa Football season ticket holder and am somewhat connected to some things behind the scenes, but I’ll be shocked if Iowa adds hockey anytime soon.

The cost to add a women’s program is a legit concern, among others, and Iowa already is picky with their varsity sports. The donors are in the football program, wrestling program, and basketball program, like many schools.

A $7-8MM annual expense doesn’t come easy.

The arena in Coralville, which Iowa Volleyball will call home and is looking for an ECHL or USHL tenant, is off campus and will allow alcohol sales.

I think Iowans in the Iowa City and Cedar Rapids area would support the men’s team pretty well from the get go — getting them to be competitive with little to no in state HS recruiting is a hurdle, however the USHL is prominent in Iowa, which would help mitigate that some.
                                Last edited by MavHockey14; 02-13-2020, 05:55 PM.
                                AF 99

Comment

Working...
                                X